Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EIR 4g home broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shutterclick

upon further research (after i'd signed up through the chat support like a fool) it appears the unlimited on that sim only is 120gb. also the email me they sent had all different prices in it. i freaked out, got back on to chat, showed him the page where i had read 1tb and that i wasn't happy. he said if i ring 1901 on monday i can cancel it. so that is what i will be doing. he is also going to flag that that page shouldn't exist anymore. it was some old thing.
    it was a bit my own fault for not double checking everything.

i guess i'll have to go for the 29.99 a month mobile broadband option. still cheaper than what i am paying now and i will look in to antennas and stuff too.
    thanks for the input to those who replied.

-=al=- wrote: »
    If a fixed line is impossible for the foreseeable future, can you get a free eir 5g router for future proofing if it’s your only option?

I’d suggest getting an external antenna and the 29.99 12 month eir mobile bb or whatever they offer now

Been using it for years and have never had a single issue with that setup.

I have the antenna on the roof beside the tv aerial for best coverage, an aerial from that to the eir router in the attic, then a cable from the eir router to the main router on the house that has a huge WiFi range and more features

If I was upgrading that system, I’d get an antenna that does 5g or a 5g router, and mesh system. But currently I get solid coverage all over the house with 100 down and 25 up... Which is perfectly fine

i think i'll just go with the 4g. where we are we barely get 4g and the 5g router is 99.99 and its 45 a month or something. we're in a fibre intervention area so i'm hoping that once the contract is up we'll be able to get fibre. nbi says surveying in the area has yet to begin, but months ago we saw the vans out here.

is there a particular antenna you would recommend? the prices seem to vary and i don't really know what i'm looking for. not techy in this sort of stuff.
    the router i bought last week is a huawei b311. the one that comes with the eir package is the huawei b628

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

The Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0002 is an excellent antenna and works with any of the huawei routers that have the dual sma type connectors at the back for attaching antennas.

Just beware that A) it is a directional antenna so you need to know what mast you are trying to get, B) antennas are of benefit only where you are certain it is a signal strength/quality issue and not a mast contention issues (too many users)

Where you know it is a signal strength/quality issue the general idea is to mount the antenna as high as you reasonably can; lashing kit, pole on chimney if necessary. This gives the greatest chance of success if not direct line of sight to a nearby uncongested mast which ireally is the holy grail. Sometimes just getting the router itself high enough is sufficient as these have quite sensitive antennas internally.

Then, as you are already doing, it is just a matter trialling sims from each of the three main operators (vodafone, eir, three) go with a plan from one of them or one of their various mvno's; clear, gomo, 48, etc, etc. You are right to always try and go for the non-contract (30 day contracts are fine) option if at all possible, but read up on the fair usage policies particularly anything involving a contract. 12/18/24 month contracts are a proper b****h when things go south. Often times if 4G is not doing as well as you would like, forcing the router to 3G only can provide a better and more consistent service.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Also suggest a Poynting antenna. I think I have an omni-directional one that works fine, brings me from 1 or 2 bars of signal to full signal and a solid connection to the mast.

Think it was €60 or so and the one I have is the Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001, which i presume is similar to the one above just the omni-directional version.

I there's no other internet options available for your location, stick with the 4g router, and an external antenna. It's just a matter of getting those 2 things in place along with the eir plan and you should be sorted

Can always add and upgrade the system as needed, but once the antenna and router are in place, you should be aok

From what i'm reading, in my area, with our issues, the xpol 2 would be the better choice for me in a rural area.
    i found one on amazon for 133 euro used-very good. is that a good price and choice? where we are there are a lot of trees and hills blocking signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I'm using this - very good, tested in combination with B525 and B818
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Iskra+P-58+L700&ref=nb_sb_noss
    There is later version, cover 5G spectrum and somehow even cheaper atm.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iskra-P-60-5G-MIMO-Antenna/dp/B08H7Y756H/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Iskra+P-60&qid=1625336771&sr=8-2
    Pay attention to mounting, might not be suitable for everyone.

Edit: on Midband forum plenty of info with links to tools to discover masts, bands the masts operate, LOS, etc.

Does anyone know how reliable the com reg mast finders are? Theres one not far from me in wexford however I tried looking for it in person and couldnt see it. I did call yer man and he said there should still be the mast at that site and it was last updated 26th of may so. It says its located in a field somewhere but surely youd see it if that was the case. If theres anyone in the rural wexford region who has 4g where are you pinged up to?

Wexman1992 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how reliable the com reg mast finders are?
    accurate for location, but ID's do not match what you see on router and no other info

accurate for location, but ID's do not match what you see on router and no other info

Sorry what do you mean ids do not match what you see on router and no other info?I was just wondering how accurate the location is on comreg? Youd be thinking I'd be able to see a big tower in a field from where it says it is.

Sorry what do you mean ids do not match what you see on router and no other info? I was just wondering how accurate the location is on comreg?
    Per say, Huawei routers will show what eNB ID it is currently connected. Comreg only show site ID - different nomenclature.
    Other tools, like Cellmapper, will show map with eNB ID's, thus you able to verify if this is the mast your router is connected and other info related to mast/cell's. Comreg is missing all that, but locations for sites are accurate. How much up to date is Comreg is different story.
    Youd be thinking I'd be able to see a big tower in a field from where it says it is.
    In 99,9% you should be able to see actual "mast". keep in mind that in urban areas mobile "masts" are not necessary masts. Tranceivers could be mounted on building walls/roofs, power pylons , etc.

I only guess you from Wexford :D

Site 4590 on Comreg vs GMaps (street view)
    Site WX051 on Comreg vs GMaps (street view)
    Picture quality on G is crap for Wexford, but you get the idea.

Edit: Comregs site 4590 on Cellmapper, eNB ID 350258

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Any idea if we can keep the router when the contract is up?

Yep it should be yours to do as you wish after contract has run its course

Does the standard 4g routar supplied by eir allow you to use the ponyting xpol2(4g) or 3(5g) antennas? Im asking cause I was on with someone from novatel during the week and they said it might not and id have to buy extra adapter or something. They said get the 5g antenna even though i cant get 5 g courage but said its still a bit better than the 4g antenna.

5G antenna would be future prove, in case it would become available in your area. However, when will 5G come to your neck of the woods....?

Eir, as much i can see, supply Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2(aka H122-373) and this device does NOT have external antenna ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

I have it in West Cork in a fringe 4G area. generally it's quite good, although the download speeds here can vary a lot. It's rarely under 12/15 mbits download and sometimes it's a lot more. I have gottten over 100 download early in the morning.

The only way of checking it out might be to check the Eir signal on a mobile phone.

The Wi-fi from theB818 is ok and should suffice unless you have a very large house.

Overall, I am happy enough with it, but as I say, you need to check the Eir signal strength in your area.

Dave

Ill be getting the 4g NOT 5g routar/plan from eir. So 29 a month one. Yeh the lady at novatel said the 5g xpol is better than the 4 g one even if your can only get 4G from house. Its like 30 euro extra and you still get 4g on it. I thought eir for 4g supply the b818( big white tower one) Thats the one ill be getting.

How the ping on that for things like gaming?

B818 does have TS9 connectors. Most antennas come with SMA, you can pick up adapter tails for under €10 on Amz. When selecting antenna go for 10m cable. Anything beyond that might reduce signal. If you get 5m you can extend, but joints again might effect signal.

Just now, Ping 50, Jitter 16, Download 20.3 Upload 6.3.

Village is packed tonight, so that might affect figures.

I have an antenna for the 818, but I don't use it as it seemed to make no difference.

Dave

• Advertisement

Sorry to clear up some stuff. I was talking to the sales guy today. He said its the b628 routar. Is that the same as the 818? My bad I mentioned b818. Does the b628 one have an option to plug in the external antenna. What i meant before was the guys were going to sell me the xpol2 ponyting but one of them suggested the 5g one even though i know for a fact Ill only be able to get 4g here now she said its a better antenna even if you can just get 4g. Does that make sense this stuff is all so confusing.

I presume that router is the updated version which will be fine. A 5g antenna (That also goes 4g) will future proof yourself for an updated router if the signal improves later on down the line

A 10m cable for the external antenna would be ideal and to connect the external antenna to the router you may need an SMA to Ts9 connector. It’s just a small adapter that gives the antenna the correct connection to the router

If the antenna comes with a Ts9 connector, all good!

About 2/3 miles as the crow flies, but I can not see it directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

My Eir 4G broadband contract is up next month. The 12 month contract I signed up to last year was €29.99/month for the first 12 months but is due to rise to €52.99/month thereafter so its time to review my options.

My preference is to stay with the service but only if I can recontract at the same price. Will speak with sales later this week and I'm hopeful they will be agreeable as it matches their current offering.

Just wondering if any else who signed up last year has had any similar experiences coming out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

5g is 45 a month with Eir and it will "downscale" to 4g if the 5g service isn't yet enabled in your area.

I'm getting 30-40mbs down and 5 up on 4G (thanks to Eir increasing capacity last year on my cell in response to the pandemic). This is more than adequate for my needs. Handles a couple of streams of 4k tv at peak times, let alone meeting WFH needs during the day.

Even if I was in a 5G area, that plan would increase my internet costs by 50% (+ cost of a new router) with no tangible benefit. Probably explains why uptake of 5G plans where available has been slow to date in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I might move to this when we return to the office. I can't justify the price of Virgin anymore after that and can't get FTTC because of some issue with a neighbours house. This might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I was merely pointing out that 5g is less than what you could be paying in the future should you be unable to negotiate a better price albeit the modem costs extra. Having said that the modem could be considered a bargain when you compare to what they are being sold for through 3rd partys.

I think it’s a rolling month contract after the 12 months are up, but might want to check to confirm. The price will likely stay the same

I’m apparently due ftth next April, but if that doesn’t go ahead, I’ll prob go for the 5g plan. 4g works fine tbh. The speed might be bigger but realistically it won’t be too different

5g modems are pretty pricey so it’s not the worst deal. However I’d still rather a fixed line over mobile bb if I had the choice

• Advertisement

So my 12 month 4G contract expired and Eir confirmed that the plan is now on a rolling 30 day contract with a continuous discount applied (i.e. €52.99 - €23 discount = €29.99). The net effect it is the same offering as per their website, although technically it is a different (older) plan.

Besides standard pricing is now fixed at €29.99/month, one thing I noted was that I was supplied with a Huawei B818 modem (which is now mine to keep), but now they are only offering a lower spec B628.

This would may make a difference depending on your location and the number of masts in your area according to this forum post. After reading this I moved my B818 as high up in the house as I could and have managed to more than double my speed 80-90Mbs down & 20-30Mbs up - for same money and 30 day contract.

I was merely pointing out that 5g is less than what you could be paying in the future should you be unable to negotiate a better price albeit the modem costs extra

@basill - Was tempted to try this out but alas no 5G signal and no way of knowing if it will be expanded my way in next 12 months. But you make a good point about the cost of the modem.

Advertisement