Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR 4g home broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

FFS comedy of errors here. No sign of anything after 3-5 working days. Turns out they were out of devices. By the time it was despatched we were away and wouldn't be back till next day, ie tomorrow. Couldn't change date or address on the Nightline app I think because we were within 24 hours of delivery? Then got phone call from NL this morning looking for an eircode. Eir had sent it off with "house name, county", half an address at most. Turns out they had already put it on a van going in the wrong direction, but now that he had the eircode he'd get it back and put on right van tomorrow. Except driver did deliver it to house with same name on other end of county, just left it on the doorstep and obviously faked the signature, so much for all Eir's blather about showing ID etc.

Recipients kindly phoned, and I said I'd swing by tomorrow but himself says I should get Nightline to redeliver, just in case it's damaged or anything, so will try to get on to them in the morning. This is the kind of crap that reminds me why I was so happy, when we cancelled our landline, to be done with Eir forever. Only for its6 half the price of Imagine, our only remaining option, Id be cancelling it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 matsprea

Is there any EU roaming data included with this deal?

Finally got router today. Getting excess of 20 down so much better than what we had. However just after midnight, not sure if that's significant, it all stopped and told me i had exceeded my data limit? Not sure what's going on there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Eir's 4G broadband, including mobile broadband, is now having some connectivity issues in Dublin since a short time ago.

I can access boards.ie, Flickr & RTÉ. But youtube is currently a no no.

Thanks, have seen a lot of messages on Twitter about data issues alright. Working again this morning so it seems it was just unfortunate timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

matsprea wrote: »
    Is there any EU roaming data included with this deal?

I put that question to eir today and waiting for a phone back

• Registered Users Posts: 6 matsprea

kooga wrote: »
    I put that question to eir today and waiting for a phone back

Did they come back to you? I'm still waiting for an answer on the same topic.

matsprea wrote: »
    Did they come back to you? I'm still waiting for an answer on the same topic.

No - so I rang again and the rep said no - but when I look in the terms and conditions it says eu mobile roaming. Anyway you can get a 10 day trial with eir to see how it works. Currently I have the Vodafone huawei our on a 14 day trial

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Don’t they legally have to have some sort of Eu roaming data allowance?

I think three had a certain amount roaming included

I’ve not had much luck getting info from eir online chats in the past for some basic enough questions

-=al=- wrote: »
    Don’t they legally have to have some sort of Eu roaming data allowance?

I think three had a certain amount roaming included

I’ve not had much luck getting info from eir online chats in the past for some basic enough questions

There is no roaming with the 3 Plans / I was onto them during the week and they confirmed with an email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, how is latency and ping times? Especially to various kinds of servers, irish vs US and continental locations etc.

Any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hello guys,

I am considering to get EIR 4G mobile broadband via Huawei B818 router.

Is it worth getting it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Hello guys,

I am considering to get EIR 4G mobile broadband via Huawei B818 router.

Is it worth getting it now?

Depends where you are and what coverage is like in that area.
    My advice is to get a sim from all the major providers and test them all.

I checked comreg website and "Very good" signal in my area.

If I buy different sims then I need to buy 4G router which is 200 euros.

Do we need to return 4G router to Eir after 12 months if ceasing contract?
    Depends where you are and what coverage is like in that area.
    My advice is to get a sim from all the major providers and test them all.

masterboy123:

I would not go by hat that says, if yu can get a loan of an unlocked phone for a few hours you can use that to test, that's what I did when I moved to a rural area.

See above.

I do not know, but I doubt it.

Thanks, I have an unlocked phone so I could potentially use my own phone. I will check what deals are available for sim only. Don't want to be spending 20 euros for each sim as I am hoping broadband lines will be laid in the next 3 months.

I live in Limerick city.
    masterboy123:

I would not go by hat that says, if yu can get a loan of an unlocked phone for a few hours you can use that to test, that's what I did when I moved to a rural area.

See above.

I do not know, but I doubt it.

Thanks,

I live in Limerick city.

Right,
    I would not be relying in it for urban use, it will likely be heavily congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

I ordered a 4g service e from eir last month.
    I am in rural Co roscommon, I regularly get over 100mb down 50up.

The service has been pretty much rock solid for the last month.
    2 of us working from home, heavy streaming and file transfers over the WAN.

I do intend to purchase the external antennas and place the router in a coms cabinet in the attic, connected to a mesh system eventually.

The one drawback for me, working in a technical field, is that you are stuck behind a carrier grade NAT.
    Which means you don't get a real public ip address, and cannot forward ports to internal network devices.

Parents are in Rural Galway, not far from Roscommon border. Have been on imagine for years as it's the best of a bad bunch for them there. Once tried Meteor but they didn't cater for port-forwarding then and speeds were average. I'm wondering if it's worth trying Eir now again - but have some IP Cams etc that are being forwarded to there. I'd be interested to hear if anyone managed to get public IP on this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Parents are in Rural Galway, not far from Roscommon border. Have been on imagine for years as it's the best of a bad bunch for them there. Once tried Meteor but they didn't cater for port-forwarding then and speeds were average. I'm wondering if it's worth trying Eir now again - but have some IP Cams etc that are being forwarded to there. I'd be interested to hear if anyone managed to get public IP on this service.

Would like to find out the same on this also. Have a very decent three 3G service thats 10/2 atm. Getting 70/20 with a test GoMo sim 4G...CGNAT though..100.x.x.x. Not a deal breaker but ability to get a public IP would cut down on a lot of messing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Got one of these unlocked. Had previously been with sky and having bother now connecting my sky Q and mini Qs to broadband. Also getting all apps on my smart tv bar Amazon Prime Video for some reason - just not launching. Anyone got any info on how I should have it set-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thinking of replacing my Eir router with this one. Is it worth getting?

I am using Huawei B818 router and happy to recommend it.
    gazzer wrote: »
    Thinking of replacing my Eir router with this one. Is it worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

I have a B818 also and am happy with it's performance. Its Eir supplied so can get support if needed - assuming I can actually get manage to speak to someone in support!
    RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Got one of these unlocked. Had previously been with sky and having bother now connecting my sky Q and mini Qs to broadband. Also getting all apps on my smart tv bar Amazon Prime Video for some reason - just not launching. Anyone got any info on how I should have it set-up?

Are you getting a particular error? I had this issue after changing over to Eir 4G broadband. I suspect it is related to the CG-NAT being on mobile network and Amazon Prime determining your location.

Without going into the technical issue, get on to Amazon Chat (preferably by phone) and tell them your problem. They should be able to make a change to your account (your location) that should resolve it. It wont affect your Amazon account otherwise (i.e. no changes to your addresses).

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

wassie wrote: »
    I have a B818 also and am happy with it's performance. Its Eir supplied so can get support if needed - assuming I can actually get manage to speak to someone in support!

Are you getting a particular error? I had this issue after changing over to Eir 4G broadband. I suspect it is related to the CG-NAT being on mobile network and Amazon Prime determining your location.

Without going into the technical issue, get on to Amazon Chat (preferably by phone) and tell them your problem. They should be able to make a change to your account (your location) that should resolve it. It wont affect your Amazon account otherwise (i.e. no changes to your addresses).

Got this sorted thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Is it possible to add more data/addon to these EIR plans? I am approaching my limit this month. (new games consoles downloading games) Doesn't look to be any way to add more data. Might have to switch it off for the time being. Not sure when my allowance is due to reset, my eir dash shows me three different dates.

I would see what happens. If this is your first exceeding the FUP and you are using peer traffic (eg downloading torrents etc), then you may be ok. Worst that can happen is you get throttled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Looking to move from three as I am working from home and my zoom calls are freezing regularly

I am working from home 5 days a week and in the evening from 6 onwards I would have on my android box or Netflix and sometimes browse on the laptop

Would the 29.99 deal cover all this it says 150mb while Vodafone says 500mbps

Also want to ensure I dont go over my monthly limit and have further charges

I think you are confusing the Fibre plans with the 4G plans.

Either way, the 150/500 you mentioned above refers to the speed of the broadband mbs (megabit per second). 150mbs is more than adequate for most peoples needs - it will happily run a multiple streaming services in 4K at the same time. There are no download limits in terms of the monthly data allowance - subject to their fair use policy.

If you cant access these (i.e. you cant get fibre to the home), then 4G plans may be an option for you.

Eir has a 29.95 plan 12 month contract (then rises to 52.99 after 12 months) with a 750GB allowance - plenty for your needs, although you may be hard pressed to even get close to this limit depending on your down load speed.

VFs offering is 40/month with only a 300GB allowance. VF generally has less congestion than other networks, meaning performance is better in evening when everyone is trying to stream TV - but your speed will depend on your location and how many others are connected to the same cell tower. Unless you know someone close by using a particular service theres no real way of knowing.

If you order a service over the phone or on the net, you do have 14 days to try the service out - the carriers wont advertise this but it is covered under consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RichardL1951

I can see the Vodafone mast from my house. It’s ~4k away. I get 20Mb on my Huawei router and ~5 on my phone. I have 2 outside antennae connected to my router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Hi. My Eir Mobile broadband has been very good since I got it in March. Download of 30mbs. However in the last few days the download speed has plummeted to 4mbs.

Cant get through to eir customer service. Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue. Was thinking of ordering an internal or external aerial for the huawei router??

Advertisement