Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we working too much?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I agree with most of what you say there. But, if you think the food in Aldi or Lidl is the same as the higher end shops you are very very wrong. Always buy the best food you can afford even if you have to have less of it.

The fresh fruit and meat and fish come from all the same places, just read the labels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I can sleep but I was outside for a few hours with my tripod and celstron binoculars.
    I can watch the moon and stars for hour's. I was actually posting from the back garden. Hardly any light pollution apart from a house over the way.

I was one of those lads in school who looked out the window a lot and excelled in geography, history,biology and art... everything else was boring.
    I loved English, but being dyslexic I found it hard to spell properly.

I was also a bit of a clown, laughing in mass and during prayers etc a giddy lad.

I hated learning poems, it went in one ear and got lost somewhere in my head.
    But I can write poetry.

I was great at adding, subtraction multiplication and division, taxes, percentages and measurement, and trigonometry.

As for algebra and equations I had a blockage, I couldn't do it, so I always got 100% in foundation maths lol

Learning Latin in horticulture was a challenge and to this day I can forget the name of a plant at 9am and at 5pm no problem.

Going back to not sleeping, since I've been in lockdown I've been making contacts in America trying to build on tourism and getting to know more about their culture and the more rural areas. Myself and a few Irish and British friends join American Canadian and European bushmen and women on zoom to exchange ideas about sustainability and environmental issues.
    Survival skills and folklore etc

We all have one good thing in common we take the piss out of SJWs social justice warriors and moany ecco warriors who don't understand how nature is complex and it's not all sunshine lollipops and rainbows...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Don't really understand all the overtime some people do. Like 60 to 70 hour weeks. Some Muppets never even take holidays either on top of it.
    Use to do it when I was younger cause of the old yes sir, aye sir, 3 bags full sir mentality. Now I just say fook it out the door when Iv done my bit. Got sense. More to life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Don't really understand all the overtime some people do. Like 60 to 70 hour weeks. Some Muppets never even take holidays either on top of it.
    Use to do it when I was younger cause of the old yes sir, aye sir, 3 bags full sir mentality. Now I just say fook it out the door when Iv done my bit. Got sense. More to life.

You're a bold boy, I remember a knob seen a surfboard on my car. I was leaving the job at 5
    The brown nosing gob****e was sneering at me for having a life, lol I told him it's uncool to have to stay back over time on a salary without any extra pay and be wasting electricity and and it's not sustainable to be in an environmental job and burning an extra 3 hour's worth of electricity and leaving lights on in his office, computers and the server's burning away from his PC...
    You've no right to get anxty with me because I'm setting off into the sunset, he couldn't respond by saying I'm burning fuel etc because the beach was on my way home and he lived further away.

He told the manager I harassed him outside in the carpark, we were in the office the following afternoon.
    Guess who came out smelling of rose's, me I counteracted his accusation and he got a caution for wasting time and being wasteful.

These fluff job guy's have no soul or any substance, like the curtain twitchers during covid, they'd fugg you over in work and outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I feel sorry for those who 'bought' extra holidays this year from their companies. Be wanting my money back on that score.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Those who stay back late at work trying to impress the boss to get on need to get a life ,some of them don’t even claim overtime ( work for free ) . What’s worse is people who no life outside of work intimidating other staff often younger staff into staying back as well .
    If covid has thought us anything , spend time with your family , do things you enjoy not stuck at work long hours going home wore out , ,, life is passing us all bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

I think so. 42.5 hours is so damn long imo. Even a reduction by just five hours would be hugely beneficial I think. Either a half day Friday or finishing an hour early every day. Ideal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Working from home for me has meant longer days the expectation that I can be contacted at any time. Every time you move away from the computer another Teams call comes in or some notification pops up and if you do get away for a short while you're having to catch up when you get back. Can't wait to get back to the office once this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think so. 42.5 hours is so damn long imo. Even a reduction by just five hours would be hugely beneficial I think. Either a half day Friday or finishing an hour early every day. Ideal imo.

I work dog's hours. I'd love a job with good money and 4 12hr shifts a week with a 3 day weekend. That would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But what about the meat workers in Larry's factories?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,908 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

nullzero wrote: »
    Working from home for me has meant longer days the expectation that I can be contacted at any time. Every time you move away from the computer another Teams call comes in or some notification pops up and if you do get away for a short while you're having to catch up when you get back. Can't wait to get back to the office once this is over.

I predicted this exact scenario in another thread over in work & jobs... the buffer or fence between you, your job and employer has been removed... your home and your time is pretty much to your employer now... accessible anytime, good luck with removing this access and expectation when normality eventually resumes. I’m sure if you query it you’d get “well we are living in extraordinary times and thus your ‘flexibility’ is required and appreciated... flexibility is an employers term for wanting you to do anything, anytime.

Hindsight is a great thing but I’d have recommend if people as this shîtshow started give an old pay as you go mobile as a contact and when the shift is done, it goes off, and people enjoy their time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think if you have children and have a 9-6 on top of that yes.

For single people who work a normal 9-6 five days a week. I think we are fine. But i wouldn't argue against a 3 day weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

I thought I'd hate working from home - the isolation and the lack of distinction between workplace and home etc, but I find it grand, surprisingly. And luckily. It might depend on the type of work. But I think I'd have less of a problem with working from home in the future. Ideally a mixture of both home and the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I thought I'd hate working from home - the isolation and the lack of distinction between workplace and home etc, but I find it grand, surprisingly. And luckily. It might depend on the type of work. But I think I'd have less of a problem with working from home in the future. Ideally a mixture of both home and the office.
    I don't like it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I don't like it. :(

Hugely isolating.
    Employers no doubt will love it as they need less office space , cheaper for employers have people at home using their own room - light - heat etc .

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Hugely isolating.
    Employers no doubt will love it as they need less office space , cheaper for employers have people at home using their own room - light - heat etc .

The advantages of working from home far outweigh any negatives imo, for me there are almost no negatives tbh especially if you consider say 80% wfh with 20% calling to the office for meetings etc that benefit from face to face interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,908 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Hugely isolating.

Employers are paying employees the same wages. But as you say, they are saving on light, heat, stationery, insurance, office space, vending machines -tea-coffee-snacks, cleaning, security, waste collection... huge savings.

When all this is over they might be hesitant to want everyone back in the office... they might want to keep a good proportion of staff being productive from home..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I'd say chatty people that love to bend your air probably hate working from home

Advertisement