Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Youtube Ads

Options
  • 05-05-2020 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is everyone getting those annoying youtube ads where a guy(usually) will rant for 3 minutes or so about how he had a good job but was unfulfilled and one day came across a different guy who became his mentor and taught him how to run his own online business and how it has now changed his life, i.e. he has more time to spend with his girlfriend/family/dog on some f*cking beach somewhere ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

3 minutes? You can skip them earlier than that ;)

All ads are annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Is it just me or is everyone getting those annoying youtube ads where a guy(usually) will rant for 3 minutes or so about how he had a good job but was unfulfilled and one day came across a different guy who became his mentor and taught him how to run his own online business and how it has now changed his life, i.e. he has more time to spend with his girlfriend/family/dog on some f*cking beach somewhere ???

AdBlock Browser and disable the app is your friend

Even plays videos/music with the screen locked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

wonski wrote: »
    3 minutes? You can skip them earlier than that ;)

Ha ha! Of course I can but i was just wondering if anyone else is getting them. There are loads of them, but with different people spouting the same sh1t, and each one trying to get you to go to a particular website. But they're all different. Probably the same company under lots of different names. They just bug me!

Yeah, but for the most part the YouTubers that come on after the ads are just as annoying these days..

Some dude in his mid thirties making stupid faces and starting every video with "Hi guys.."..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah, but for the most part the YouTubers that come on after the ads are just as annoying these days..

Some dude in his mid thirties making stupid faces and starting every video with "Hi guys.."..

Youtubers... What the hell are you watching?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There is a lifetime worth of interesting, informative, educational, artistic, original content on youtube. If you choose to watch self-promoting, vacuous "influencer" wankstains then that is down to you.

It is true the site is full of these wasters but avoiding them is not that difficult, it is usually pretty obvious after 10 seconds if a channel is worth watching or not.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    There is a lifetime worth of interesting, informative, educational, artistic, original content on youtube. If you choose to watch self-promoting, vacuous "influencer" wankstains then that is down to you.

It is true the site is full of these wasters but avoiding them is not that difficult, it is usually pretty obvious after 10 seconds if a channel is worth watching or not.

Yeah, would you believe I don't tend to watch vacuous influencers, but the 'hi guys. ' is bloody everywhere.. and lots of them pull stupid faces (although I don't actually see that much of it..as soon as I see someone pulling a face the channel is gone for me..)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I am interested in the guy who got fired for making an indestructible drone.

Not interested enough to not click skip on the ad though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

"If you write anything on your computer, you need to get grammarly"

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Pay the money to upgrade. It's worth it.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »

The Op was referring to the Ads which pop up fairly regularly from these muppets. So you could be watching a history or economic video, and be interrupted with this rubbish.

I've marked the ads as uninteresting, or that I don't want them presented to me, but it doesn't matter. Youtube is declining as a platform and they'll do whatever they can (apart from what they should) to boost revenue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Those ****ing wix ads are annoying as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Have YouTube Premium, doesnt have ads. 11.99 euro a month. There is no going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ads are getting well out of hand on Youtube, with 2 ads one after the other and pretty frequent throughout the video, and are often unskippable with a 15-20 second run time. Drives me head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭blade1

YouTube Vanced on my phone and Smart YouTube on TV. No ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Have YouTube Premium, doesnt have ads. 11.99 euro a month. There is no going back.

YouTube vanced does the same job for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Ads are getting well out of hand on Youtube, with 2 ads one after the other and pretty frequent throughout the video, and are often unskippable with a 15-20 second run time. Drives me head in!

The whole Internet seems to be getting like that, YouTube has gotten particularly bad, it's a pain in the hole to use now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Steyr 556 wrote: »

You say €11.99 as if it's nothing.

When you add this to other subs people may have, such as Spotify or Apple Music, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and now even Disney+ then it all adds up and becomes too much.

Can't see myself ever subscribing to You Tube just to stop their ads as it doesn't offer that much in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Keep getting ads about fractional shares.

Wtf?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

blade1 wrote: »
    YouTube Vanced

yep, Vanced is great

only reason I root my phone these days is to make my device ad free ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I don't mind the adds too much . I have an old laptop that I use for you tube so they can play away while I use the normal one for other stuff.

what annoys me is when they stop in the middle of something to talk about todays sponsor , usually squares space, nord vpn or wix etc.
    I don't mind the 30 second ones that are about something relevant but some channels have gone way over board with it

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

kingtiger wrote: »
    yep, Vanced is great

only reason I root my phone these days is to make my device ad free ;)

I used to be the same, but there's actually no need to root anymore for ad blocking. Android 9+ allows you to change your DNS, so just change it to the adguard one. It works well for the vast majority of ads.

And the non-root version of Youtube Vanced works perfectly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

One of my young lads is fairly tech savvy and signed us all up for YouTube Premium. It costs about 2 euro a month for the family as he signed up from India using one of those VPN yokes.

No ads on YouTube, and access to YouTube Music. You get the odd Bollywood thing popping up, but it isn’t too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

DeeTee100 wrote: »
    I used to be the same, but there's actually no need to root anymore for ad blocking. Android 9+ allows you to change your DNS, so just change it to the adguard one. It works well for the vast majority of ads

indeed, but I like the simplicity of magisk modules,

like detach where I can disable the annoying constant prompt to update YouTube

and also CloudflareDNS4Magisk and Viper4Android FX to tweak my sound settings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

Youtuber: "Thank you for clicking on my video. Before we start I'd like to talk about today's sponsor NordVPN where you can..."

{I carefully track about a minute ahead to the actual start of the video}

Youtuber: "...keyword where you can save 20% on a one-year deal.....Now on with the video"

Money well spent advertiser....money well spent :P

On a side note, if I'm working with something and using Youtube for background noise I'll often just let the ads run since my hands aren't free. Then occasionally you'll notice a very long add starts to play with someone actually doing a step-by-step of how to use the product their flogging. I then have find my damn phone and angrily skip the add. FFS don't make 5 minute-long Youtube ads!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

murpho999 wrote: »
    You say €11.99 as if it's nothing.

When you add this to other subs people may have, such as Spotify or Apple Music, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and now even Disney+ then it all adds up and becomes too much.

Can't see myself ever subscribing to You Tube just to stop their ads as it doesn't offer that much in return.

It's more than not having to listen to the ads, Premium lets you listen to music or have videos keep playing when you minimise the app on iPhone. That's very handy for me.

I don't say it as if it's nothing. It's not up to me how many subscriptions people have, they can balance their money as they like. For me it works. Youtube Premium is the only subscription service I have or need - other people will have different needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"Discover Audible with an Audio Book on us"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ureaseme

BeerWolf wrote: »

This is if you look in the YouTube application. Most strongly infuriates advertising there.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Youtube premium for a family account is about €2.30 a month if you take out your subscription via India. Ive been using this method since last October and its perfect. I actually set up another family sub for a friend of mine yesterday so this method is still working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I just get grammerly ads. I just mute and skip the ad
    As soon as I can. In the world of a pandemic
    Its a minor problem. It annoys me some irish dj.s now sound
    like you tubers. Eg they use American slang
    Eg everything is cool guys. RTE player is worse
    Ads stop if you open another tab
    BBC player was great until it stopped working it stopped
    working in ireland

Advertisement