Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grace - Wolfetones Number 1 Itunes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Odhinn wrote: »
    So there isn't a segment of irish society that dislays a fawning attitude to our former occupiers?
    former? they're still occupying your head, rent free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Joseph Plunkett would be sad to come back 104 years later and still see we don’t have a United Ireland ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

The Wolfe Tones donated all money they got for being back in the charts to charity, fair play to them!
    They did the same for Come Out Ye Black and Tans a few weeks ago.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Jesus, imagine where your head would be growing up listening to the "Wolfies". In fairness Grace is probably the least offensive of the toxic sludge they produced over the years. Still at least Dessie Ellis and Garda McCabes killers and all the other sociopaths have a soundtrack to accompany them as trawl through their brave and heroic history or pass the time dumping diesel sludge on the country they claim to love or beating boys to death in barns. Nice for them

Boooooringggg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

LuasSimon wrote: »
    After been in second spot yesterday Grace sang by the Wolfetones has risen to Number 1 today in the top 100 Irish Itunes downloaded.

Today is the 104th anniversary of the execution of Joseph Plunkett by British troops in Dublin , whilst many like Charlie Flanagan & Michael Martin want to forget the fight for Irish freedom it seems like plenty others will remember our patriot dead!

I never download music, i must be one of the few who still buy the ould record/CD.
    Is that the downloads in Ireland or the downloads in the World?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Forget about the politics, that's not my biggest issue with this. What I want to know is why, whenever there's one of these efforts to get an Irish song to top a chart somewhere, is it always some sh*te rebel song? These songs were crap back in the day and they haven't gotten any better with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Today is also bobby sands anniversary, have we any songs to commemorate his life and struggles

Today is also bobby sands anniversary, have we any songs to commemorate his life and struggles

Yes google Bobby Sands Trust and go to multimedia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Joseph Plunkett would be sad to come back 104 years later and still see we don’t have a United Ireland ☹️

Why? The concept/idea of a united Ireland wouldnt have meant much in 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Zaph wrote: »
    Forget about the politics, that's not my biggest issue with this. What I want to know is why, whenever there's one of these efforts to get an Irish song to top a chart somewhere, is it always some sh*te rebel song? These songs were crap back in the day and they haven't gotten any better with age.

Tens of thousands would disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Zaph wrote: »

In fairness grace is a good song. Not the Wolfe tines version but anyone else version

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't worry, he won't.
    Zombies aren't real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I had planned a trip to Tehran to eat at the infamous Bobby Sands Burger. But the Corona virus had other ideas.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Obviously he doesn't even deserve his name in capital letters now.

debok wrote: »
    In fairness grace is a good song. Not the Wolfe tines version but anyone else version
    Good song, not a great song

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So many great versions of that song. Why the poxy Wolfe Tones?

And which version? The Continuity Wolfe Tones? The Real Wolfe Tones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Don't worry, he won't.
    Zombies aren't real.

He’s probably spinning in his grave. Seems to be very common amongst Irish martyrs if you were to believe the rants of republican posters on sites like this, Twitter, journal etc.

Pearse seems to be the one who spins the most. Dude hasn’t stopped spinning since they lowered him down. Sands also seems to be one who spins a lot. You’d rarely hear about Griffith, Liam Mellows etc, but one would have to presume they are spinning as well. At what velocity we aren’t sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The Wolfe Tones were formed in 1963, the same year The Beatles had their first UK record.
    The cause never gets old, a career for the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He’s probably spinning in his grave. Seems to be very common amongst Irish martyrs if you were to believe the rants of republican posters on sites like this, Twitter, journal etc.

Pearse seems to be the one who spins the most. Dude hasn’t stopped spinning since they lowered him down. Sands also seems to be one who spins a lot. You’d rarely hear about Griffith, Liam Mellows etc, but one would have to presume they are spinning as well. At what velocity we aren’t sure.

If only we could harness the power of spinning dead patriots, great source of renewable energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If only we could harness the power of spinning dead patriots, great source of renewable energy.

Excellent idea. The ESB could close down Moneypoint early. Just get Eoghan Harris or some other former stickie to write a piece and you’d have hundreds of dead patriots spinning like hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Tens of thousands would disagree.

Ah now, let’s be honest, there’s a certain, small, “cohort” responsible for the vast majority of those downloads.

I’m sure they’ve garnered up a couple of hundred, “independent”, votes through Facebook etc but considering people are parting with cash and not just clicking on an online vote, as with ‘A Nation Once Again’, we cannot be expected to believe 30,000 people paid to send that to No. 1.

I’m sure it wasn’t difficult to mobilise the “troops” either. I’m actually surprised they don’t do some freelance “mercenary” work for the likes of Sony etc, getting whichever song they want to the top spot.

Could be a tidy little earner and keep the, online, “foot soldiers” busy at times when the main “party” seems to be in hiding.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

At least we always knew where they were buried unlike the victims of our latter day "patriots"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Edgware wrote: »
    Good song, not a great song

Is that not what I said. Good song you actually quoted it

Ah now, let’s be honest, there’s a certain, small, “cohort” responsible for the vast majority of those downloads.

I was referring to the notion that rebel ballads weren't popular in earlier decades rather than the current download effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So there isn't a segment of irish society that dislays a fawning attitude to our former occupiers?

it's a long time ago dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Is it just a coincidence that

Come Out Ye Black and Tans by the Wolfe Tones was a download number one in January 2020
    and Grace by the Wolfe Tones was a download number one in May 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is it just a coincidence that

Come Out Ye Black and Tans by the Wolfe Tones was a download number one in January 2020
    and Grace by the Wolfe Tones was a download number one in May 2020.

What do mean?
    All you need to be number one is enough fans to down load the song on the same week and some help from Alan partridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

What do mean?
    All you need to be number one is enough fans to down load the song on the same week and some help from Alan partridge
    Or to get FFg to have Celebrations for the Black and Tans / RIC / Dublin Metropolitan Police :eek::eek:

it's a long time ago dude

Not if you're north of the border, tbh.

• Advertisement

Not if you're north of the border, tbh.

Ah they'll get over it even though many on both sides couldnt live without a big chip on their shoulders

Advertisement