Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't wear gloves shopping or out and about - HSE infection control experts warn

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can you provide the evidence to back up your claim that one particle can infect a person with Covid?

One virus particle can grow exponentially. This is a new contagious virus where no one has immunity, a low dose can easily infect someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Boggles wrote: »
    According to who? The HSE? :pac:

They are just about to flip 180 on masks.

Rule of thumb, whatever they are telling you to do, do the opposite on PPE.

Gloves are effective if used correctly. The trick is pretend you are not wearing them.

Unless you walk around with your eyes closed I sincerely doubt you will see one member of the public using them correctly.

One virus particle can grow exponentially. This is a new contagious virus where no one has immunity, a low dose can easily infect someone.

So you have no evidence to back up your claim? Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭corks finest

I do and will continue to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You do realise there's such a thing as innate immunity right? It's nowhere near as effective as adaptive immunity but it's good enough to stop an infection if the viral load is small enough. The virus doesn't get a free pass as soon as it enters the body.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unless you walk around with your eyes closed I sincerely doubt you will see one member of the public using them correctly.

I am a member of the public and I use them correctly.

Boggles wrote: »
    I am a member of the public and I use them correctly.

Of course you do. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Of course you do. ;-)

I do. They are gloves not a nuclear sub.

It's not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭HBC08

Just make sure the mask covers your nose , the amount of idiots I see wearing them below their nose is astounding. The ones wearing them in a car really amuse me.

I'm a carer and both myself and my service user have to wear a mask whilst in the car.
    Why would that amuse you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

robinph wrote: »
    The virus can be detected on surfaces days later. Not aware of it being shown to be viable or evidence of people getting infected by the route of touching surfaces (outside of a coronavirus ward).

Not sure what country it was from, but saw some video on the news of people going along spraying a ornamental garden trees and bushes with disinfectant. That kind of thing does nothing other than scare people into thinking that the virus is a living beastie that is going to hide in corners waiting to pounce on unsuspecting victims.

Viruses can live for hours, days or weeks in the right environment. Once you come into contact with live virus particles, you can become infected.

Parvo virus (a virus that affects dogs) can live in the environment for six months and unvaccinated puppies and dogs can pick it up in their walks. The polio virus in humans can live for two months outside the body.

This Covid-19 is a virus, little is known in how long it lives outside the body, whether it's minutes, hours, or days. The thing is you just do not know if somebody sneezed on a surface five minutes before you got there and that's a guaranteed way of picking it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

I use disposable latex gloves, a product regularly bought in my house before all this, and so I think I have about 1000 in various boxes of 100/200, usually bought in places like euro2 or other discount stores.

Hands washed at home. Then outside shop put on gloves get trolley etc.

I use them properly, was shown how to by nurses, and it's not hard. I use soap and water when I can, but out and about thats not possible.

They're there to save my skin from bleach products while disinfecting the trolley, and to minimise the amount of sanitiser I use also. I haven't been able to find sanitiser in weeks.

I never touch my face while wearing gloves because I am much more conscious of my hands while wearing them, so it helps me.

I use a different pair for each supermarket or shop I need to go to.

Wouldn't dream of throwing them on the street, I have a container in the car and boot for used gloves, which I bin when i get home.

I use plastic containers for shopping in the boot, have minimised what i bring out with me, (basically a plastic wallet with cards, my keys, and my phone which I don't use, its just there for emergencies).
    All sanitised at home.

I also treat everything I've bought as if it has virus particles on it, and sanitise accordingly.
    I sanitise my car door handles and interior controls after a trip out too, just in case.

I will be using gloves, properly, regardless of some peoples apparent misuse of them.

Reusing gloves etc seems idiotic to me alright, but I don't know anyone who does that so I'm sure that's exasperating to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Stark wrote: »
    You do realise there's such a thing as innate immunity right? It's nowhere near as effective as adaptive immunity but it's good enough to stop an infection if the viral load is small enough. The virus doesn't get a free pass as soon as it enters the body.

Yes but the thought is that this virus can be infection with a rather small viral load. SARS which is at the minute a pretty good model to work with till the Covid19 has a bit more work done on it has a minimal viral load to cause infection in mice of a few hundred viruses*

* Viruses as in singular viruses not a vaguely defined viral particles because I am aware how posters will deliberately misinterpret this
    Viruses can live for hours, days or weeks in the right environment. Once you come into contact with live virus particles, you can become infected.

Don't bother arguing there is a lot of posters that already know these all these details but they just brush over them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

s1ippy wrote: »
    Not to sh!t on your methods but hospital training currently absolutely does not recommend Clean/Dirty hand technique.

Then again, they also give a passing grade if you get 80% of the PPE and hand hygiene training right. If you get 80% of it right in real life there is a 100% chance of cross-contamination from the 20% of actions you took in error.

Yes fair point, hospital training does not recommend clean/dirty for patients and OR etc etc, and I'd be crucified if I did that at work. I do think (without any scientific guidance whatsoever) that its a decent compromise for shopping though. I guess when I said "hospital training helps" I'm more attuned to what I've touched with what hand etc, and wouldn't be as likely to touch my face with my dirty hand as a non-hospital person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The other side of this is we’ll have a world full of latex and plastic gloves before long. You can be sure there are billions and billions of them being used.

Necessary perhaps but still it’s something we will all have forgotten about during this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

we absolutely dont know that, we actually dont really knoe what the contagion rate is because the testing is been done on people that are showing symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

Xertz wrote: »
    The other side of this is we’ll have a world full of latex and plastic gloves before long. You can be sure there are billions and billions of them being used.

Necessary perhaps but still it’s something we will all have forgotten about during this.

Very true, and something I'm mindful of while using gloves these days, but as a necessary evil I'll accept it for now.

More worrying to me is the littering of these gloves, and their ending up in waterways.

Amazing how some people can't seem to find a bin, even if it's a few feet away.

Advertisement