Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB new peaker plant will be ... natural gas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

slipperyox wrote: »
    Whats wrong with keeping diesel buses?
    If my math is correct.
    Dublin bus uses 27 million litres fuel/year
    67,000 acres of rapeseed would sort that out.
    A fifth less if they switched to hybrid diesel buses.
    So 13500 acres.
    Zero carbon emmisions

How much tractor diesel ,and natural gas fertilizer does it take to make this zero emission fuel ? ( Plus the amount needed to process it ,although if you don't use solvents to extract the oil you do have an animal feed as a biproduct ...but if you don't use solvents you get a lower yeild of oil ...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

L1011 wrote: »
    Single deckers. All single deckers.

Have you actually taken a look at the makeup of the Dublin PSO (Dublin Bus + GAI fleet) recently?

Sigh ...Did you even read the linked stories ?

"The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: “London’s toxic air is a shameful health crisis which is causing premature deaths and stunting the growth of children’s lungs. Today, as part of our work to tackle the harmful emissions we breathe and to help tackle the climate emergency, I am proud to announce the first two routes which will exclusively use electric double deck buses."

"The Mayor of London challenged us saying that he did not believe an electric double decker was technically feasible but we took up the challenge and in less than two years created the bus Londoners can see today”, said Isbrand Ho, Managing Director of BYD Europe. “This is not a hybrid bus but a totally emissions free product which will give London a world leading position in its efforts to improve air quality”.

Leon Daniels, TfL’s Managing Director for Surface Transport, said: “BYD are a brilliant supplier. They lead the world in electric bus technology and we thank them for their efforts to make this new double decker a reality”."

There are now 100 electric double deckers buses in the UK

Hang on I'll post a picture .. it has 77 seats ( it loses 3 to the batteries :rolleyes: )

Notice the "I am Electric" sign in the window..

byd-double-decker-buses-uk.jpg

It always seems impossible until it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Sigh ...Did you even read the linked stories ?

"The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: “London’s toxic air is a shameful health crisis which is causing premature deaths and stunting the growth of children’s lungs. Today, as part of our work to tackle the harmful emissions we breathe and to help tackle the climate emergency, I am proud to announce the first two routes which will exclusively use electric double deck buses."

"The Mayor of London challenged us saying that he did not believe an electric double decker was technically feasible but we took up the challenge and in less than two years created the bus Londoners can see today”, said Isbrand Ho, Managing Director of BYD Europe. “This is not a hybrid bus but a totally emissions free product which will give London a world leading position in its efforts to improve air quality”.

Leon Daniels, TfL’s Managing Director for Surface Transport, said: “BYD are a brilliant supplier. They lead the world in electric bus technology and we thank them for their efforts to make this new double decker a reality”."

There are now 100 electric double deckers buses in the UK

Hang on I'll post a picture .. it has 77 seats ( it loses 3 to the batteries :rolleyes: )

Notice the "I am Electric" sign in the window..

byd-double-decker-buses-uk.jpg

It always seems impossible until it's done.

Great that London can be a mine canary for this tech. I don't want the NTA investing heavily in unproven tech, especially when there's no real need to do so. we already have Euro6 diesel buses. We haven't even taken to banning diesel cars, congestion charging or replacing car space with PT space, all measures that could slash emissions without taking a massive gamble. In some years I have no doubt that an electric double decker will be commercially available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Sweden operates 3 plants, 7 reactors, 10 million population, about 11GW of Nuclear capacity. The Irish grid is all-Ireland so about 7 million people. The weird thing is, it's claimed that Nuclear only provides 40% of Sweden's demand with hydro also being a major source, not sure how they manage that. Maybe they export most of it to Denmark?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Mid summer temperatures in Sweden are in the mid 20's, so you'd see a lot of Air Conditioning use, could explain higher usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Check your sums

Correct them for me then

Markcheese wrote: »
    How much tractor diesel ,and natural gas fertilizer does it take to make this zero emission fuel ? ( Plus the amount needed to process it ,although if you don't use solvents to extract the oil you do have an animal feed as a biproduct ...but if you don't use solvents you get a lower yeild of oil ...)

Solar panels produce 20g CO2 per KWH for life.

Solar panels produce 20g CO2 per KWH for life.

Great ...(and the ones coming in a few years will be even better)
    But what's that got to do with growing oil seed for biodiesel ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It'd probably be a good idea for the nta to get a couple of electric double deckers to put them on long term test ... It could well be that electric buses leapfrog hybrid buses and make them redundant before they really get going ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

It'd probably be a good idea for the nta to get a couple of electric double deckers to put them on long term test ... It could well be that electric buses leapfrog hybrid buses and make them redundant before they really get going ...

exactly

Looks like their will be no budget for a while though :
    bk wrote: »
    650 (2/3rds of the fleet) of the most advanced Hybrid buses on the market! The buses they ordered are plugin hybrids with a relatively decent sized battery that allows them operate for a few km

• Advertisement

Great ...(and the ones coming in a few years will be even better)
    But what's that got to do with growing oil seed for biodiesel ...

Because you mentioned my suggestion was not zero emission.

And neither is solar, or wind, and hydro for that matter is one of the biggest renewable greenhouse gas emitters for that matter.

I'll not bother coming here again if its just snide answers with no discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Because you mentioned my suggestion was not zero emission.

And neither is solar, or wind, and hydro for that matter is one of the biggest renewable greenhouse gas emitters for that matter.

I'll not bother coming here again if its just snide answers with no discussion.

not having a go or being smart, this is a genuine question:
    Do you come to that conclusion by the amount of concrete used to go into the production of the dam or something?
    Surely all the clean electricity the hydro station produces would offset the carbon cost and instead would make the project net carbon negative over the projected lifespan of the project?
    So are we saying the three gorges dam is the biggest renewable greenhouse gas emitter on the planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/esb-lodges-plans-for-75mw-dublin-peaker-plant-39174692.html

just like Dublin bus buy diesel buses and when embarrassed in the media submit to a few hybrids when clearly electric bus's are the future

Do you think the ESB even costed a grid scale storage battery ?

https://youtu.be/O-kbzfWzvSI?t=889

Yes they would have explored all means of generation including Hydrogen and batteries

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Planning permission has been requested for a gas powered power station near peamount hospital. 110MW Is that a lot? Would it break even?

Peaking plants are only designed to run for approx 200 hours of the year. They get paid capacity payments fir being available, very little profit in them, they are considered as being strategical important to the country so profit isn’t a factor in their development

cgcsb wrote: »
    Sweden operates 3 plants, 7 reactors, 10 million population, about 11GW of Nuclear capacity. The Irish grid is all-Ireland so about 7 million people. The weird thing is, it's claimed that Nuclear only provides 40% of Sweden's demand with hydro also being a major source, not sure how they manage that. Maybe they export most of it to Denmark?

How many of there grids are an island? The only interconnections we have a DC non synchronous. Or grid is not comparable to any of them.

Yes because they're ok for us to import dirty created electricity from abroad, but not generate it ourselves.

You do realise what the LNG storage facility is for?
    It’s fir importing dirty fracked Gas from the US/Abroad.

ted1 wrote: »
    How many of there grids are an island? The only interconnections we have a DC non synchronous. Or grid is not comparable to any of them.

do we not have two interconnectors?

tom1ie wrote: »
    do we not have two interconnectors?

We do they are DC, so are non synchronous so offer no Frequency or voltage support.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get the impression that many such interconnectors are DC.

Victor wrote: »
    I get the impression that many such interconnectors are DC.

Lots of AC interconnecters between European and scandavian countries. Generally it’s only the subsea ones which are DC

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Lots of AC interconnecters between European and scandavian countries. Generally it’s only the subsea ones which are DC

long distance underwater cables are always dc as opposed to ac due to capacitive losses, so an ac cable would have to have a much larger csa than a dc cable.
    unless your talking about overhead ac lines as an interconnector which would be fairly impossible going from Ireland to either England or France.

long distance underwater cables are always dc as opposed to ac due to capacitive losses, so an ac cable would have to have a much larger csa than a dc cable.
    unless your talking about overhead ac lines as an interconnector which would be fairly impossible going from Ireland to either England or France.

I’m talking France to Germany to Netherlands to Denmark etc. Sweden-Finland -Norway

They can alll rely on each other for voltage and frequency control. Where as we are an island network and must provide our own infrastructure support so our system is fundamentally different than the rest of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

not having a go or being smart, this is a genuine question:
    Do you come to that conclusion by the amount of concrete used to go into the production of the dam or something?
    Surely all the clean electricity the hydro station produces would offset the carbon cost and instead would make the project net carbon negative over the projected lifespan of the project?
    So are we saying the three gorges dam is the biggest renewable greenhouse gas emitter on the planet?

I was reading an article a few years ago about a large hydro dam in South America, it was releasing more CO2 than an equivalent capacity fossil fuel plant due to the algae building up in the lake formed by the hydro dam.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I was reading an article a few years ago about a large hydro dam in South America, it was releasing more CO2 than an equivalent capacity fossil fuel plant due to the algae building up in the lake formed by the hydro dam.

you know what I didn't even think of that!!
    That's incredible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

exactly

Looks like their will be no budget for a while though :

:rolleyes: Just as well that the NTA thought of that so.

The 600 buses is only an overall framework agreement with ADL for 6 years. They only placed a firm order for 100 actual buses for this year.

Each year they can review their requirements and choose a different specification, including EV if they want.

Of course this is all up in the air at the moment due to COVID19. ADL had to shut their factory due to COVID19 restrictions and public transport use is WAY down. So it is yet to see how all of this plays out.

The good news is that the ADL-BYD Double Deckers you linked to above are actually built in a joint partnership between ADL and BYD. The Chinese company BYD produces the battery and drive train, while ADL builds the actual bus.

So ADL has plenty of experience with these EV buses. And once they prove good enough for the NTA's needs, I'm sure ADL will tell the NTA and they can opt to switch their order to them.

BTW This order for 100 buses in London is nothing. The London Bus fleet is almost 10,000 buses, so it is just over 1% of the fleet. This is more a long term trial (and a bit of PR fluff) then a serious order. But it is good news as it will allow transport authorities throughout UK/Ireland find out how they really perform over the long term.

BBTW The only other company who made an EV double decker, Optare, is very small and wouldn't have the capacity to make enough buses for the NTA.

Wrightbus is the only other major double decker bus manufacturer, they made the current Dublin Buses. Well they went bankrupt a few months ago! Now they have been rescued by JCB, but they are much smaller now, they are rebuilding and likely wouldn't have the capacity to satisfy an NTA order either. Plus they don't have an EV Double deckers and their hybrids are also much poorer, small battery, no plug. The hybrid buses they trialled from Wrights were much less capable then the one they ordered from ADL.

So basically ADL are the only game in town at the moment, so it is good that the NTA are going with them.

bk wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Just as well that the NTA thought of that so.

The 600 buses is only an overall framework agreement with ADL for 6 years. They only placed a firm order for 100 actual buses for this year.

Each year they can review their requirements and choose a different specification, including EV if they want.

Of course this is all up in the air at the moment due to COVID19. ADL had to shut their factory due to COVID19 restrictions and public transport use is WAY down. So it is yet to see how all of this plays out.

The good news is that the ADL-BYD Double Deckers you linked to above are actually built in a joint partnership between ADL and BYD. The Chinese company BYD produces the battery and drive train, while ADL builds the actual bus.

So ADL has plenty of experience with these EV buses. And once they prove good enough for the NTA's needs, I'm sure ADL will tell the NTA and they can opt to switch their order to them.

BTW This order for 100 buses in London is nothing. The London Bus fleet is almost 10,000 buses, so it is just over 1% of the fleet. This is more a long term trial (and a bit of PR fluff) then a serious order. But it is good news as it will allow transport authorities throughout UK/Ireland find out how they really perform over the long term.

BBTW The only other company who made an EV double decker, Optare, is very small and wouldn't have the capacity to make enough buses for the NTA.

Wrightbus is the only other major double decker bus manufacturer, they made the current Dublin Buses. Well they went bankrupt a few months ago! Now they have been rescued by JCB, but they are much smaller now, they are rebuilding and likely wouldn't have the capacity to satisfy an NTA order either. Plus they don't have an EV Double deckers and their hybrids are also much poorer, small battery, no plug. The hybrid buses they trialled from Wrights were much less capable then the one they ordered from ADL.

So basically ADL are the only game in town at the moment, so it is good that the NTA are going with them.

you may have already answered this but do china not produce double decker ev's? i know the logistics of actually getting a chinese ev dd over here would be a tall order but humour me :D

you know what I didn't even think of that!!
    That's incredible.

Your welcome

Your welcome

I was replying to a different poster who made the point about algae.
    You didn’t provide a point.
    Where you talking about algae aswell or the amount of concrete used in the structure?

I was replying to a different poster who made the point about algae.
    You didn’t provide a point.
    Where you talking about algae aswell or the amount of concrete used in the structure?

No I never elaborated. But yes, its due to methane release, which is a far more potent greenhouse gas than CO2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

you may have already answered this but do china not produce double decker ev's? i know the logistics of actually getting a chinese ev dd over here would be a tall order but humour me :D

Couple of reasons.

First of all, they lack experience building DD's, AFAIR all Chinese buses are single deckers.

Very few countries use DD's, mostly just UK, Ireland, some in Berlin, Singapore and Hong Kong. So it is relatively a very small market for them. Then there is the whole Left Hand Drive difference to make it an even smaller market.

But also, it would be hard for them to break into the market here. Transport Authorities in the UK and Ireland would have decades of relationships with Wrights and ADL. These companies basically build the buses precisely to their spec.

Going with an unproven Chinese company would be risky for transport authorities. They aren't looking to save money on buying a bus, they look for quality and reliability and are typically willing to pay extra for that.

Some smaller Coach companies here bought some Chinese coaches, turned out to be total junk, got dumped after just 3 years.

So given all that, it was smart for BYD to partner with ADL. It mixes both companies strengths. BYD's expertise is in their battery tech and electric motors, while ADL have lots of experience with building buses to UK specs. And they can leverage ADL's relationship with transport authorities.

BTW this sort of relationship isn't unusual at all, quiet common in bus manufacturing.

For instance earlier I mentioned that the current Dublin Buses are made by Wrightbus. That is only partly true. For the past 5 years or so the NTA contract has actually been with Volvo. Volvo build the bus chassis, drive train and engine in Sweden and then they shipped those to Wrights in Northern Ireland who they then subcontracted to build the body of the bus around the Volvo chassis.

Which might raise the question, why don't Volvo build LHD DD buses themselves? :)

I bet this is WAY more then you ever wanted to know about this market :)

Advertisement