Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow site performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Instead I change browser to one that I haven't used on boards.ie. Initially I got a few odd error pages then it settled down and now I'm posting using Opera instead of Chrome and speed is back to normal.

Thanks for that advice. I've just changed to edge for the first time in a million years and boards.ie is back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Thanks for that advice. I've just changed to edge for the first time in a million years and boards.ie is back to normal.

Now your slumming it :D

Clear your cache - it does speed things up!

I've just switched to Edge too but its just as bad unfortunately, no difference at all. Is there anything else I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Clear your cache - it does speed things up!

This worked, thanks.

• Advertisement

I've just switched to Edge too but its just as bad unfortunately, no difference at all. Is there anything else I can do?

Did you log out of Edge, clear your cache in Edge then log back in? If you do it won't affect the browser you normally use and is worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Firefox/Edge are working fine for me on the computer. Despite clearing my cache in Chrome and losing all my logins, it is still crawling and taking 30-40 seconds for a page to load. Incognito doesn't help.

On the phone, I just got a cloudflare message on DuckDuckGo. According to it, there was a timeout error on the touch site.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Did you log out of Edge, clear your cache in Edge then log back in? If you do it won't affect the browser you normally use and is worth a try.

I've just done that, cleared Cache and cookies which unfortunately means I'll be logged out of all my usual sites but its speeded up Boards - working fine again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Alan306

Hi guys I’m using a Windows XP’s pc I no it’s a crime these days but just look for advice I’m tryin to connect to Firefox but it’s not happening I tried pinging google and all that but having no look any suggestions

I've just done that, cleared Cache and cookies which unfortunately means I'll be logged out of all my usual sites but its speeded up Boards - working fine again. Thanks

Sorry thought you'd move to Edge from another browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

installed Firefox, no better
    Installed Opera, no better

Tried Edge for first time - no better..

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

I've separated out the new posts from the old thread so that people don't have to work through old posts. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, we don't have an update to share. At the moment, all I can do is apologise for the ongoing disruption. I know it's frustrating, but thank you all for any patience that you can muster up as we work through these issues.

I think Boards needs to be somewhat more forthcoming with information. This is the latest in a series of incidents that has made the site barely usable for the past several weeks.

I understand Journal Media have made cuts in their businesses. Have Boards developers been let go or left voluntarily for other jobs? What is Journal Media's vision for this site? They have already closed fora.ie and severely curtailed the42. Is Boards very existence under threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Only thing slow for me (Firefox, Touch) is opening attachments. I use uBlock Origin, and am a subscriber.

Do people experiencing slow loading fit either of the above descriptions (use an ad blocker or are a subscriber)?

Not your ornery onager

I've boards.ie open in two windows (on desktop PC) chrome is one and its dead slow in that and the other is Opera with cache cleared and its working fine in that. No add blockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

I'm using the brave browser and no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

rapul wrote: »

That's what I normally use and it was slooooooow.

There doesn't seem to be any trend emerging from this thread. An upgrade to Xenforo would sort it once and for all instead of this boards version of a very old vbulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Ah ok, must be a boards problem in general, time will tell or if any info is released to do with the site

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Boards really should put out a message on their Twitter feed when there's a problem like this, they make really poor use of it. Three messages and one retweet in the last month.
    Alan306 wrote: »
    Hi guys I’m using a Windows XP’s pc I no it’s a crime these days but just look for advice I’m tryin to connect to Firefox but it’s not happening I tried pinging google and all that but having no look any suggestions

Jaysus. I hope you don't do banking or buy anything online.

If you can't afford a new PC, stick Linux Mint on it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

An upgrade to Xenforo would sort it once and for all instead of this boards version of a very old vbulletin.

Is there any plans to switch to Xenforo?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Incognito mode on Chrome desktop is still majorly slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Working perfect for me last few days with the exception of the Virgin media outage a couple of days back, flying on PC, Win 10, Chrome and Full Site and also on Tablet, Android 8, Chrome and Full site

Working fine on phone also. Android 9, chrome, full site, both on WiFi and gomo.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Some people seem to be more fortunate than others and some seem to find certain actions more useful than others. I am seeing warnings about the nodes under strain so I can't say that clearing your cache or using another browser will help, for example. It is working for some people (or they're just lucky at that point in time and it appears like a solution).

I have been one of the lucky ones - attachments are slow / don't load and have had occasional 500 errors but the site hasn't been too sluggish. I'm on Chrome incognito, but as I say something like this is working for some people and not for others.

Sorry for the ongoing disruption, but I'm afraid I don't have a timeframe for when things will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

At least you've put something on Twitter. A small gesture but at least it shows you're aware of what's happening. I hope you can get to the bottom of it soon :)

rapul wrote: »

Slow as a snail for me in Brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Touch site working at normal speed for me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I use two laptops - a Chromebook and a Windows one. Pages are taking ages to load on the Chromebook, but are loading normally on the Windows laptop (using the Chrome browser).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have no idea if this is linked but embedded tweets are not showing for me since Tuesday I think, I just get the url. I've checked other comparable forums like Red Cafe and they show fine so its not my ancient browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭This is it

Arghus wrote: »
    Touch site working at normal speed for me now.

Still showing threads from 15 years ago though, speed is fine but almost unusable with the other issue :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the sight has been slow for me since last night on both chrome and firefox but seems to have speeded up a bit now.
    as well as that i'm getting very few email notifications for subscribed threads, the odd one is coming through but mostly not dispite the threads being posted in.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Ah jesus fix this it's driving me mad!

Advertisement