Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Maybe following the rules is what is polling well. Biden is really incoherent. It's hard to listen too.

Trump is spewing nonsense but Biden is not coherent at all.

Trump will gain on Biden I think.

You're not wrong. Trump is just blathering. But Biden isn't hammering him with facts in response. He's not responding.

And that's what Trumps ****ing idiots will listen to.Trump is talking, while Biden isn't. It doesn't matter what is actually said.

Chris Wallace is debating Trump, Biden is asleep.

America is in a lot of trouble.

Night folks!

Won't be staying up again for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

unfortunately this is true. He had so many opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It may not have felt like it during a thoroughly unpleasant debate, but that was a big win for Biden, massive.

When someone constantly interrupts you, insults you, doesn't let you speak, how does it feel? Infuriating? You eventually give up? Storm Off?

The emotional impulse is to pine for Biden fire back and put Trump in his place, but that wasn't Biden's job tonight. He instead set out to roll with all of Trump's nonsense, never lose composure, and maintain an impression of respectability and likability - the guy you want to have a beer with.

Also, crucially, at no point did he have a "senior moment" or gaffe. He firmly put the issue of his cognition to bed. He spoke very well on a few core issues, directly to the American people - the changing tide in the suburbs, the impact of Covid, racial injustice in America.

Trump, meanwhile hung himself; he looked deranged, desperate and out of control. He also failed to denounce white nationalism and has energised militia groups. About as far away from Presidential as you can get. Forget having a beer with him, you wouldn't want to sit beside him on a plane.

The early data are fairly unanimous - CNN poll: 60% say Biden won; CBS/YouGov says opinion of Biden has risen 6% while Trump's has fallen 18%; Frank Luntz, a prominent political scientist organized a focus group of 17 undecided voters - 15 classified Trump's performance as negative, one person even calling him a crack head.

Steve Schmidt, strategist for The Lincoln Project, reckons Biden may not even turn up for debates 2 and 3.

Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

"It is what it is because you are who you are", absolute cracker of a line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Trump obviously has a litany of abhorrent quotes over the last number of years, but the stuff about not accepting the election result is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Anyone know when the VP debate is? That's the main event for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

America is in a lot of trouble.

Night folks!

Good job staying up for it Venjur. Gold star for you. I assume you will have the 1000 word summary of it ready for us all by close of business today :D

My wife couldn't sleep last night and watched it. She said it was frustrating and infuriating how Trump behaved. She said she has seen toddlers with more decorum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DGRulz wrote: »
    Anyone know when the VP debate is? That's the main event for me.

Next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the Democrat long game? Are they planning on running an 81 year old next time if they somehow pull of a win in November or is Biden a stop-gap and they'd risk not running the incumbent?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What's the Democrat long game? Are they planning on running an 81 year old next time if they somehow pull of a win in November or is Biden a stop-gap and they'd risk not running the incumbent?

I'd imagine they'd be hoping someone else like Harris or AOC, or even Cuomo will be willing to step up in 2024.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Biden has already said he would be a one term president

Trump to come back and win in 2024. Could you imagine

Trump to come back and win in 2024. Could you imagine

If Biden wins Trump is almost certainly going to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That should honestly be his slogan. If Biden's slogan was "Lock him up" he'd probably convince all those Dems who don't like him very much that it is worth it just to see Trump in jail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd imagine they'd be hoping someone else like Harris or AOC, or even Cuomo will be willing to step up in 2024.

AOC can't run in 2024, she's too young. She is also far too much on the fringe of the party - she's in a good place where she is.

If Biden wins then Harris is close to nailed on as the candidate in 24 I would think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Biden has already said he would be a one term president

I don't think he has committed to that but he has implied it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The last couple of presidential elections, the Democrats putting forward Hilary and now Biden, have reminded me of a rugby team who just can't seem to accept that a once great player is past it and its time to move on. Basically Munster with regards to Murray :D

I'll believe it when I see it

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    AOC can't run in 2024, she's too young. She is also far too much on the fringe of the party - she's in a good place where she is.

If Biden wins then Harris is close to nailed on as the candidate in 24 I would think.

She'll be 35 right before election day. But it's probably a bit of a stretch alright.

Interesting how well Trump's interrupting really worked on Biden. It wasn't as apparent in the Democratic Primary debates because there was more decorum but Biden seemed really rattled last night and struggled to complete his points without meandering. It was like watching someone having moments of severe anxiety and losing focus on what they were saying. Made him look dotty in comparison to Trump who just attacked relentlessly.

I dunno. I don't think it was a good night for Biden and I don't think it will have weakened Trump amongst his cult. Moderates and undecideds may have seen enough from Biden to believe he is cognitively prepared for the job but Trump was far more vigorous and sharp when on the attack. Trump can't talk about detail and can't defend his record without talking nonsense, but he looked a lot more robust than Biden who was meek.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Trump's numbers rally a bit in the coming weeks. Depends on how put off people are about his remarks on white supremacy and the handover of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Debates are pretty much meaningless unless you have a meltdown. Only saw highlights but it didn’t look like Biden did albeit would agree he could have been stronger.

But anyway this election will basically be a referendum on Trump. Biden according to polls just needs to avoid any major errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

...I don't think it will have weakened Trump amongst his cult. Moderates and undecideds may have seen enough from Biden to believe he is cognitively prepared for the job...

Job done for Biden so. This election will never be about winning over or dissuading Trumps supporters. That can't be done. If people still support him after everything he's done & everything that's been revealed in the last 5 or 6 years then they will support him through anything. Theres absolutely no point in even giving those people an ounce of thought.

The only way there can be undecideds is if people have doubts about Biden. If he can dispel even some of those doubts amongst some of the undecideds then thats a win. And if Trump can appear totally & utterly deranged that might then convince a lot if those Sanders supporters who are saying they won't vote at all to reconsider their position. Another win.

Biden doesn't need any resounding successes here. He needs to be bland, unspectacular & have no real headline grabbing moments. If he does that then he has no bad headlines. He can let Trump damage Trump.

Put it this way, has Trump a "lock her up" equivalent for Biden? Has he anything that would put undecideds off the guy? Or is he more likely at this stage to be turning those undecideds away from himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Interesting how well Trump's interrupting really worked on Biden. It wasn't as apparent in the Democratic Primary debates because there was more decorum but Biden seemed really rattled last night and struggled to complete his points without meandering. It was like watching someone having moments of severe anxiety and losing focus on what they were saying. Made him look dotty in comparison to Trump who just attacked relentlessly.

I dunno. I don't think it was a good night for Biden and I don't think it will have weakened Trump amongst his cult. Moderates and undecideds may have seen enough from Biden to believe he is cognitively prepared for the job but Trump was far more vigorous and sharp when on the attack. Trump can't talk about detail and can't defend his record without talking nonsense, but he looked a lot more robust than Biden who was meek.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Trump's numbers rally a bit in the coming weeks. Depends on how put off people are about his remarks on white supremacy and the handover of power.

Nothing will weaken trump among his cult. At all. First indications out of the debate are small gains for Biden and large losses for trump.

Biden's running on a "consolidate and heal" platform that (long term) doesn't need the knock out shot in the debates. He just needs to show he's mentally with it, he's a statesman, he can still handle pressure and keep his cool.

All three points scored last night. I'm quietly confident the dial will move in the polls over the next few days.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Biden's running on a "consolidate and heal" platform that (long term) doesn't need the knock out shot in the debates. He just needs to show he's mentally with it, he's a statesman, he can still handle pressure and keep his cool.

All three points scored last night. I'm quietly confident the dial will move in the polls over the next few days.

I really hope you are right.

Anyone upgraded to the 1gb/s package from Virgin? Have put in the order myself but wondering if anyone's had any issues

I really hope you are right.

How the debate has already been spun by the Lincoln Project:

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1311175155255660545

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1311172884337840128

and by Biden's own team:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1311268302950260737

Biden's camp also has a LOT more money to control this narrative in the swing states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Personally I find it ridiculous that after 4 years of Trump

1) There are still undecided voters (surely he is vegemite - either you love or hate him)
    2) Those undecided voters need a shambles of a debate to help make up their mind

It's a pity Europe as a block isn't prepared to say FU to the USA, and just negotiate with other world powers (eg the nuclear agreement with Iran that the USA singlehandedly vetoed)

I never really understand where the USA gets all its money from - how many objects made in the USA do you own? If I take away our Apple products and I suppose our Sonos sound system and Lexmark printer, everything else is not US-made. Would never ever buy an American car for example. According to wiki, the main US exports are

1 Planes, choppers, and spacecraft
    2 Refined petroleum
    3 Cars
    4 Integrated circuits
    5 Vehicle parts
    6 Pharmaceuticals
    7 Aircraft parts
    8 Medical instruments
    9 Human or animal blood
    10 Soybeans

Advertisement