Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

swiwi_ wrote: »
    It's a pity Europe as a block isn't prepared to say FU to the USA, and just negotiate with other world powers (eg the nuclear agreement with Iran that the USA singlehandedly vetoed)

They tried with the Iran agreement. The problem is that US sanctions take affect on anyone who does any business in dollars full stop. Which means their reach is absurd.

Personally I find it ridiculous that after 4 years of Trump

1) There are still undecided voters (surely he is vegemite - either you love or hate him)
    2) Those undecided voters need a shambles of a debate to help make up their mind

It's a pity Europe as a block isn't prepared to say FU to the USA, and just negotiate with other world powers (eg the nuclear agreement with Iran that the USA singlehandedly vetoed)

I never really understand where the USA gets all its money from - how many objects made in the USA do you own? If I take away our Apple products and I suppose our Sonos sound system and Lexmark printer, everything else is not US-made. Would never ever buy an American car for example. According to wiki, the main US exports are

1 Planes, choppers, and spacecraft
    2 Refined petroleum
    3 Cars
    4 Integrated circuits
    5 Vehicle parts
    6 Pharmaceuticals
    7 Aircraft parts
    8 Medical instruments
    9 Human or animal blood
    10 Soybeans

Policy is more important than the man for a lot of Trump voters. The ridiculous system they have in place where it becomes a two horse race has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

1) There are still undecided voters (surely he is vegemite - either you love or hate him)
    2) Those undecided voters need a shambles of a debate to help make up their mind

I never really understand where the USA gets all its money from - how many objects made in the USA do you own? If I take away our Apple products and I suppose our Sonos sound system and Lexmark printer, everything else is not US-made. Would never ever buy an American car for example. According to wiki, the main US exports are

2 Refined petroleum
    3 Cars
    4 Integrated circuits
    5 Vehicle parts
    6 Pharmaceuticals
    7 Aircraft parts
    8 Medical instruments
    9 Human or animal blood
    10 Soybeans

Just because their corporations are not manufacturing/producing in America doesn’t mean they’re not generating money. Surely arms and the petrochemical industries along with IT are the main drivers of the economy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

The property has five bedrooms and 14 bathrooms

What the absolute ****.

How much ****ting do Americans do!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    What the absolute ****.

How much ****ting do Americans do!?

It's for all the coke your guests are doing at parties ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

2 Refined petroleum
    3 Cars
    4 Integrated circuits
    5 Vehicle parts
    6 Pharmaceuticals
    7 Aircraft parts
    8 Medical instruments
    9 Human or animal blood
    10 Soybeans

It's the soybeans, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's for all the coke your guests are doing at parties ;)

Diet? Or full fat, Cherry Coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

jacothelad wrote: »

I never drank many fizzy drinks in my life, but cherry coke was something i was partial to as a teenager.

That, and lilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I don’t understand why the EU wastes money on lawyers for legal action. Just tell Downing Street, sorry but exports to the EU and access to the job market are closed (I doubt the EU depends on exports to England to survive).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,019 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don’t understand why the EU wastes money on lawyers for legal action. Just tell Downing Street, sorry but exports to the EU and access to the job market are closed (I doubt the EU depends on exports to England to survive).

as downing streets immediate response would be reciprocation....that would shut down some irish companies pretty much instantly.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1003/1000757-uk-is-the-sole-export-market-for-over-3-000-irish-firms/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    as downing streets immediate response would be reciprocation....that would shut down some irish companies pretty much instantly.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1003/1000757-uk-is-the-sole-export-market-for-over-3-000-irish-firms/

EU could make an exception for NI. Up the UK to take legal action if they do want. UK has no bargaining power really. EU does not need access to England. England absolutely needs access to EU.

The EU are being patient for the sake of member states exposed by Brexit. I'm sure the Commission and negotiators are fed up dealing with the absolute morons running the Tory party, but there is too much complexity for them to summarily draw a line under things and walk away.

I also imagine the EU are looking at Scotland and Northern Ireland potentially being members in the near future and there is also the remain voting block in the UK that seem to be a strong majority now.

This really is more the Tory party v the EU as opposed to the UK v the EU and that's how the EU are playing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ahh Jaco, bless!

Pretty sure the main appeal of legal action is showing off that you can afford lawyers.

The EU is just following the rules because they are crackpot lunatics like the UK govt. But its important to do things by the book to show how seriously you take the rules. I doubt they expect it to actually be directly helpful.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The EU is just following the rules because they are crackpot lunatics like the UK govt

There is no equivalence between the UKs actions and quality of leadership and the EUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

There is no equivalence between the UKs actions and quality of leadership and the EUs.

I'd hazard a guess that's supposed to be "aren't"

Podge_irl or Podge_irEXIT???

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that's supposed to be "aren't"

Indeed.

• Advertisement

My bad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone upgraded to the 1gb/s package from Virgin? Have put in the order myself but wondering if anyone's had any issues

Box arrived yesterday and hooked it up today. No issues so far. I'm speed testing at 99.94 Mbps down, 44.84 up when connected using wall plugs. On WiFi it's 557.93 Mbps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sure you probably remember the good old days when Coke had cocaine in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

https://t.co/rK3u5cxcyp?amp=1

The Australian accusing Sam Burgess of domestic violence, failed drugs tests, infidelity etc.

Makes for some pretty harrowing reading, particularly the eye witness accounts of the assault on his 8 month pregnant wife.

errlloyd wrote: »
    https://t.co/rK3u5cxcyp?amp=1

The Australian accusing Sam Burgess of domestic violence, failed drugs tests, infidelity etc.

Makes for some pretty harrowing reading, particularly the eye witness accounts of the assault on his 8 month pregnant wife.

That's an absolutely shocking read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone here use 3 as their phone provider?

Internet coverage has been diabolical this last week. Zero coverage last Sunday due to them switching on the 5g network over the weekend. It hasn't improved since.
    I'm working in blanchardstown every day and can barely get 2 bars of phone coverage nevermind internet access.

Trump waiting for a Covid test result after a close aid (Hope Hicks) tested positive...

Confirmed by the NYT - Trump and Melania both have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Neil3030 wrote: »

Fake news. I gave the virus the virus. I'll send that virus back to China to destroy them. I'm bigger and stronger and healthier than any other human in the world and I'll show those Chinese what they are messing with.

I don't wish ill on anyone but a real good bang of sickness might bring the reality of this virus to the clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Neil3030 wrote: »

He's claiming he has it anyway. Call me paranoid but I'm hesitant to believe any information a pathological liar voluntarily divulges.

Advertisement