Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

Things have gotten so bad that I've gone back to twitter....on the plus side....I have had some fun times with National Party members.

You can navigate around this site on mobile, but it takes 2-3 times as long...and that's not going to encourage new people to jump on-board, and it will lose boards current users....

This could end very badly if the upcoming "tweaks" don't massively improve the place

They do need to resolve this quickly. The rugby community has quite a few long term members but once the Lions tour wraps up (which doesn't garner universal interest) there is a lull there and if the site is as bad as this then the community will almost certainly suffer / deteriorate.

This is a remarkable f**k up. The site is free and much of the work done here is voluntary, but someone has badly dropped the ball all the same.

I'll keep checking in either way - but I do hope this gets resolved or they just own the mistake and do a roll back.

Just tried to close my account there but you actually can't right now. They lost that feature in the switch over. I don't mind new site, I'm sure they'll get it fully up to speed eventually but after a week off, I've realised now is a great opportunity to leave this arguably toxic aspect of my life behind. I can see the covid forum again (previously requested a ban) and it's become glaringly obvious how I easily slip into pointless arguments that infuriate me. Then I spend half my day arguing in my head with randomers on the internet even when I'm away from it. I wonder how much of my life I've spent arguing pointless nonsense. It's an addiction. I think I'll be happier with just the ability to browse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I definitely feel that one thing I've improved on over the last couple of years is limiting the degree of engagement and emotional investment in what I see and read online. I remember as a child gradually learning to talk less and listen more and I think on social media there is a similar curve people need to go through in terms of filtering out the noise and engaging when there is merit and more importantly knowing when not to engage at all.

I only read the rugby forum on boards for the most part, I occasionally might look at a technical forum or what's going on in athletics but otherwise most of the content on those political forums are poorly informed, antagonistic and not in anyway going to change anyone's mind.

Must make a reddit account for the rugby sub, I do look at it from time to time but should start posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Zozimus Moran

Link to subreddit forum please?

the last time I investigated Reddit forums I saw a lot of articles and pictures but little in the way of what looked like a forum. I think that’s just the format of Reddit.

are you saying the Irish anti vaxxers are on it? Should make for good reading

Lit up the BBQ for the first time and for some reason the flow from the propane tank is tiny. Tank is new so must be an issue somewhere with the BBQ.

Might pick up a new regulator tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Throw some petrol on it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Link to discord, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I've had that issue before and it was the regulator that was the problem. Replaced it and it worked perfect again, for a few years. It's been happening again lately and I have to fiddle about with It's position to get it flowing properly

• Advertisement

If Boards could make pressing the Boards button at the top on mobile = go to list of followed threads, that would be a huge, instant improvement.

Yup, replaced it this morning and worked fine!

Anyone watching the golf? The quality is outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Played a bit of golf in my time, the standard those guys are at is inconceivable. Same as with the rugby, we're all on here (myself very much included) cast judgement on some of the best players in the world. Bit silly but ah well.

Yes, I find the place absolutely impossible to navigate on mobile to the point I'm just avoiding the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

As I only browse the rugby forum and no other areas of Boards. It’s sort of ok in terms of navigation. The format hurts my eyes though. The way the quotes appear is annoying but the removal of the ignore list is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Maybe it's the way I use boards, pretty much only browse threads I've commented on and don't have an ignore list, but I don't have any major issue with new site. It took a bit to find the replacement for https://boards.ie/mythreads but once I did it was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You can ignore people. Click on their user name, then on the blue button. Done.

Yeah I'm the same re: only looking at threads I'm subscribed to, and I'm starting to get use to the new format. They've added some much needed functionality and with a few tweaks it will be an improvement on the old version.

After Hours, Politics cafe (or whatever it's now called), Conspiracy Theories and a few other sections should be ignored completely. Full of people spewing nonsense looking for attention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Limerick’s second half, as good a half of hurling as I’ve seen since… that Waterford second half in the semi-final last year. Some comeback tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

I won't take it personal that you've used me as Ana example of how to ignore 😁

• Advertisement

Just noticed there's a 'My Bookmarks' button at the bottom of most screens. So 1 click to get back to followed threads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

He’s not going to see your post anyways… 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Traffic on boards seems way down even the covid forum is relatively quiet, i think they've genuinely killed the site with this update, i use boards exclusively on mobile and its horrible now, getting from forum to forum is an ordeal. Noticed I've been flicking on less and less since the switch.

I have to agree, we've been promised that changes are coming....but it's too late already, traffic has moved away... someone has even set up a boards-like site with the old look already.

I think most of us here check in a couple of times a day at best...and some gave already drifted away.... boards isn't dead, but it's haemorrhaging users at an alarming rate I think

Yeah, it's a digg level f**k up on a domestic scale at this point. It would be a genuine shame if the rugby forum disappeared, I personally would be disappointed and would miss it.

I presume the old version is on a backup domain and if I were running the show at boards I'd migrate back immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hold on. It's the middle of July and you're lighting the bbq for the first time!?! WTF is wrong with you??

Unless you mean you got a brand new bbq and you're lighting that one for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Summer is usually a down period for the rugby forum as there isn't much to talk about. So I'm hoping the lack of posts currently is because of that. But I still would have expected more posts especially when a Lions tour is on. Even if it's a high irregular one.

Just hadn't gotten around to it for whatever reason! Will probably do most of the cooking on the bbq next six weeks though...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

While disappointed and slightly disgusted by your behaviour, you are forgiven 😆 as long as you bbq everything for the next 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Should he add the milk before or after he bbqs his cornflakes?

Advertisement