Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Just got my 1st dose of the vaccine. The follow up is in 4 weeks. Hopefully this vaccine works.

Just watched a couple of seasons of prime suspect! Very good show. I have been watching a lot of the British shows lately. I think they are better than American shows. Last week I finished an Irish show, "Blood". It was decent and there's 2 seasons.
    My next venture will be Law and Order, UK.
    Any suggestions on British or Irish shows?

Luther if you haven't seen it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Line of duty

Waking the dead

Silent witness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Nearly finished a re-watch of Line of Duty. It's excellent, except for season 4 which is kinda ridiculous, tbh. Flown thru it tho, it's extremely watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Keith Higgins retired. Another exceptional Mayo footballer with no All-Ireland medal.

Michael Dara McCauley retired from the Dublin squad yesterday with 8. It must truly hurt being a Mayo fan or player

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Line of duty

Waking the dead

Silent witness

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Is this the end of
    McGregor
    ?

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Is this the end of
    McGregor
    ?

Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Is this the end of
    McGregor
    ?

Yes.
    Khabib isn't going to come out of retirement for him now after such a poor performance, and I can't see Gaethje wanting to fight him either even though he'd destroy him. Have a feeling he'll end up doing some big payday stuff against celebrities whether it's boxing or mma, just to keep his name relevant, and probably take away from any other allegations he'll end up catching inevitably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

I suppose something will have to pay for those million dollar watches

Just finished Dark on Netflix.

If you like a bit of sci fi it's well worth a watch, 3 seasons and a well executed and satisfactory ending so not a massive time investment either.

Definitely need to be willing to pay attention throughout each episode though as would be very easy to get lost otherwise (or you could just spend half of each episode scrolling through Instagram and then constantly complain to your other half that it's too hard to follow what's going on... ahem...)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just finished Dark on Netflix.

If you like a bit of sci fi it's well worth a watch, 3 seasons and a well executed and satisfactory ending so not a massive time investment either.

Definitely need to be willing to pay attention throughout each episode though as would be very easy to get lost otherwise (or you could just spend half of each episode scrolling through Instagram and then constantly complain to your other half that it's too hard to follow what's going on... ahem...)

Is it scary?

awec wrote: »
    Is it scary?

Not particularly. There are some violent scenes but no worse than any crime thriller on the go. Wouldn't be anything close to a horror.

EDIT: no idea how I've managed the thumb down header... was on my phone after a few beers last night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So you're over the Covid, Bazzo?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So you're over the Covid, Bazzo?

Unsure whether I actually ever had it or not, two negative PCR tests(one on the same day as the other half had her positive one and another 5 days later) and no symptoms ever developed. We didn't isolate from each other either as it would be fairly difficult in the flat and the horse had basically already bolted by the time we found out she was positive anyway.

Herself is fully over it though, had a lingering cough for a while but nothing now.

I actually had my first vaccination jab last Wednesday.

Some pretty strong accusations being aimed at AstraZeneca over the reduced supply:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1353633992684220417

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

To be honest, I did wonder what was going on with AstraZeneca a couple of weeks ago when the EMA revealed that they had not even made an application for approval at that point. It strongly suggested that the EU supply was way down their list of priorities.
    "They have not even filed an application with us yet", Wathion said in an interview with Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad published on Tuesday.

European regulators have only received some information about the vaccine, Wathion said.

"Not even enough to warrant a conditional marketing licence", he said. "We need additional data about the quality of the vaccine. And after that, the company has to formally apply."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058153263/1

Might be worth a look for some here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Buer wrote: »
    To be honest, I did wonder what was going on with AstraZeneca a couple of weeks ago when the EMA revealed that they had not even made an application for approval at that point. It strongly suggested that the EU supply was way down their list of priorities.

AZ had been sending documents to the EMA since October and EMA have been reviewing these. What happened a couple of weeks ago is that they said "right, the application is now complete" and that allows the EMA to make a decision. The UK set a much lower bar for approval than Europe did (no matter what the UK say to the contrary) and that's why they approved it much earlier, it wasn't a deliberate plan by AZ.

I don't know about the truth of these rumours that AZ just sold the EU supplies to someone else. Their story is that they got a much lower yield from their European site than they expected - that wouldn't be very unusual in pharma manufacturing and it's the most likely explanation IMO.

Yeah, if AZ are selling the vaccine at cost during the pandemic, it would really be shooting themselves in the foot to sacrifice trustworthiness and reliability now, when they'll be trying to compete in a much more crowded market later when selling the vaccine for profit.

Dominion suing Rudy for $1.3bn, and haven't ruled out going for Trump.

Talk to me, legal people (I just presume everyone here on an Irish rugby forum is a lawyer) - what's their best play here? Is this to primarily scare the bejesus out of Rudy so he turns on Trump in a case against the latter? In which, let's face it, they might actually have a glimmer of a chance of getting that kind of money if they win?

• Advertisement

Dominion suing Rudy for $1.3bn, and haven't ruled out going for Trump.

Talk to me, legal people (I just presume everyone here on an Irish rugby forum is a lawyer) - what's their best play here? Is this to primarily scare the bejesus out of Rudy so he turns on Trump in a case against the latter? In which, let's face it, they might actually have a glimmer of a chance of getting that kind of money if they win?

The case is solid based on US libel laws. There is absolutely no evidence to support the claims, Giuliani has never provided evidence and critically they can likely prove that Rudy knew it was bogus in that he never made the accusations under oath. He made something like 50 libellous statements and even demanded discovery (which Dominion have now granted) but he never repeated them in court or under oath.

I don't know about bankruptcy laws in the US but this won't leave Rudy a poor man. He will have to cough up quite a chunk of change but ultimately he will have funds out of reach of the courts.

Are they trying to leverage him in case against Trump? Maybe and that has been speculated, but I don't think Rudy is playing with a full deck of cards at the moment so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

AZ had been sending documents to the EMA since October and EMA have been reviewing these. What happened a couple of weeks ago is that they said "right, the application is now complete" and that allows the EMA to make a decision. The UK set a much lower bar for approval than Europe did (no matter what the UK say to the contrary) and that's why they approved it much earlier, it wasn't a deliberate plan by AZ.

I don't know about the truth of these rumours that AZ just sold the EU supplies to someone else. Their story is that they got a much lower yield from their European site than they expected - that wouldn't be very unusual in pharma manufacturing and it's the most likely explanation IMO.

In early January the EMA made a point of explaining that they were waiting on more documentation from AZ. They could have moved sooner, but didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The case is solid based on US libel laws. There is absolutely no evidence to support the claims, Giuliani has never provided evidence and critically they can likely prove that Rudy knew it was bogus in that he never made the accusations under oath. He made something like 50 libellous statements and even demanded discovery (which Dominion have now granted) but he never repeated them in court or under oath.

Don’t forget the laws that cover companies for defamation are quite different to those that cover private or public individuals in the US.

If he just issues a very public, sincere apology, does the case go away?

For e.g., like how Fox News, Newsmax etc did?

That might mitigate damages but it's also an admission of guilt.

He totally lost the run of himself, gave in completely to promoting conspiracy nonsense. I don't know whether he's just totally lost it or whether he has other legal or maybe criminal issues and he felt going all in on election fraud was his best bet.

Fox News are almost certainly going to be sued by Dominion also, albeit they aren't as culpable as Giuliani - they did franchise the conspiracies to a certain degree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

An apology would just be an admission of guilt at this point I guess. They have no real incentive to drop things against Guiliani.

And that decision could come back to bite them in the ass if there's any truth to this:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1353802566623227906

aloooof wrote: »
    And that decision could come back to bite them in the ass if there's any truth to this:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1353802566623227906

There is basically no way they could know this yet. Strikes me as ropey reporting at best.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    An apology would just be an admission of guilt at this point I guess. They have no real incentive to drop things against Guiliani.

So is that how it works - once you show damages (financial) it's irrelevant if they apologize?

• Advertisement

So is that how it works - once you show damages (financial) it's irrelevant if they apologize?

I guess it's like a guilty plea in a criminal case. They will reduce the sentence, but you won't get off.

Advertisement