Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Did the patch notes mention anything about fixing the screen tearing? I don't notice it often on PS5 but when I do it sticks out like a sore thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

PS5 has very little tearing alright and when it does tear it is up towards the top of the screen compared to Series X tearing in the middle and much more often. This patch was supposed to address the tearing on Series X, anyone tested this yet?

Haven't seen any screen tearing what so ever on Xbox Series X. Though the fact I'm playing on a freesync enabled monitor might have something to do with that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ZiabR wrote: »
    PS5 has very little tearing alright and when it does tear it is up towards the top of the screen compared to Series X tearing in the middle and much more often. This patch was supposed to address the tearing on Series X, anyone tested this yet?

Now, I'm not Digital Foundry, but it does seem better to my untrained eye. It's still there, but pulling out the torch doesn't result in massive tearing anymore, and it seems reduced out in the open world. The only time I really saw it in my quick test was when I went looking to induce it, i.e. spinning the camera around while standing in the middle of a busy part of a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »
    Now, I'm not Digital Foundry, but it does seem better to my untrained eye. It's still there, but pulling out the torch doesn't result in massive tearing anymore, and it seems reduced out in the open world. The only time I really saw it in my quick test was when I went looking to induce it, i.e. spinning the camera around while standing in the middle of a busy part of a city.

Thats good news, so hopefully progress in the right direction from Ubisoft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tried the AC Vallhalla patch on the Xbox Series X, I have not seen any screen tearing so far so that seems vastly improved. The screen tearing was the main reason I stopped playing once I made it to England from Norway.

The 30fps mode look maybe slightly higher quality visuals than we had before but the fps is of course halved, it seemed smooth enough then again I only tested in a quiet area with not much action.

The 60fps mode is silky smooth and couldn't see any tearing but the resolution definitely looks lower than what we had previously and maybe textures paired back a notch as well.

Gonzo wrote: »
    tried the AC Vallhalla patch on the Xbox Series X, I have not seen any screen tearing so far so that seems vastly improved. The screen tearing was the main reason I stopped playing once I made it to England from Norway.

The 30fps mode look maybe slightly higher quality visuals than we had before but the fps is of course halved, it seemed smooth enough then again I only tested in a quiet area with not much action.

The 60fps mode is silky smooth and couldn't see any tearing but the resolution definitely looks lower than what we had previously and maybe textures paired back a notch as well.

The image quality of the 60 FPS mode didn't bother me in the slightest on PS5, can't see myself changing. Option is nice though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

When Ubisoft said they wanted both platforms to have the same framerate, I thought that they'd just spend some time tweaking the Xbox version. They did, but also managed to reduce the framerate on PS5 at the same time :pac:

Platinum done.
    I think I got the good ending which laughably reminded me of The Witcher 3.
    This was a disappointment. I'm a fan of the series so I'm glad I completed it for my collection but it should have never been released in this state.

How long for completion? I'm guessing 100+ hours all in. I'd say I'm about 60 hours in with 4 or 5 territories left to do, starting Lincolnshire I think was where I left off. Collectibles seem to be the biggest time sink.

When Ubisoft said they wanted both platforms to have the same framerate, I thought that they'd just spend some time tweaking the Xbox version. They did, but also managed to reduce the framerate on PS5 at the same time :pac:

Is it noticeable on PS5? Haven't played since the patch but it was running fine for me beforehand

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    Is it noticeable on PS5? Haven't played since the patch but it was running fine for me beforehand

No idea, just going from what people are saying online.

No idea, just going from what people are saying online.

I had a look at the thread on Era, one of the Digital Foundry lads was in there saying the comparison that people are basing this off is shoddy. I'll wait to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

My favourite is the fishing animation, character stood there holding nothing after every catch.

Well that's definitely changed since the patch!
    En20OywW8AAT-Eu?format=jpg

R3_Regera wrote: »
    Well that's definitely changed since the patch!
    En20OywW8AAT-Eu?format=jpg

Was that on PS5 by any chance? On Xbox they just cut out the animation holding the fish altogether. Which is actually fine as it speeds things along, now you can recast again straight away.

Was that on PS5 by any chance? On Xbox they just cut out the animation holding the fish altogether. Which is actually fine as it speeds things along, now you can recast again straight away.

Yeah, it seems like this patch on Xbox seems more like a quick fix thing, rather than actually fixing the problems. Useful, but I'll wait until they are actually able to do some proper work on it.

Not a complaint on Ubisoft, by the way, they just launched a huge game on a bunch of platforms, during a pandemic. It's pretty solid for all that, but having played their work on Origins and Odyssey, I'll wait until it's at that level of quality before playing further.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

Yup, PS5!

Jotunheim trying my patience with collectibles, some bull**** there. That and Asgard are easily the worst part of of the game. Maybe there is a payoff at the end but but the magic bs in Jotunheim made me turn the console off for the night.

I said before Asgard felt like DLC from the last game, I'm just glad it's in the base game now and they are not charging me extra for it here :mad:

Yeah, Jotunheim is by far and away the worst section of the game. A story line that refuses to end , a map that's horrible to traverse with collectibles annoying to grab. By the way 2 of the wealth collectibles in Jotenheim are missable so watch out.

Yeah luckily I'd read about those 2 so was prepared for them and made sure to get them. Actually just did those last night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played this for an hour last night (first hour) and found the audio pretty iffy. Like everything was muffled or poorly mixed. This was on headphones on the PS5. Really took away from the atmosphere, honestly!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Jotunheim trying my patience with collectibles, some bull**** there. That and Asgard are easily the worst part of of the game. Maybe there is a payoff at the end but but the magic bs in Jotunheim made me turn the console off for the night.

I said before Asgard felt like DLC from the last game, I'm just glad it's in the base game now and they are not charging me extra for it here :mad:

In what way is it trying your patience ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

One thing that annoys me on PC, specifically Ubisoft Connect, is that there's no achievements. I've close to 70 hours in the game now. They say they're adding them at a later date so I'm guessing if I want them I'll have to replay the whole game again..

In what way is it trying your patience ?

The collectibles mainly as they are many and awkward with every one having a small puzzle, from a story point of view it's not great at all and as mentioned a chore to traverse.

Played this for an hour last night (first hour) and found the audio pretty iffy. Like everything was muffled or poorly mixed. This was on headphones on the PS5. Really took away from the atmosphere, honestly!

Haven't tried on headphones but I find I have to crank up my speakers a little more than I'd normally have them set at for this game. Wouldn't say muffled exactly but certainly quieter than most games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Played this for an hour last night (first hour)

tenor.gif

I literally just fell out of my chair, didn't think you liked these type of games seeing as you're nearly always giving out about them and their bloat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You actually bought this, Johny? I wouldn't have thought this wa syour type of game. Interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Didn’t buy it, somebody else did and I’m just availing of it :) Used to be an Assassin’s Creed fan but gave up after Black Flag so interested in checking out where it’s at now. I’m particularly keen to check out the Ireland DLC, however - hopefully I don’t need to put in 100+ hours to play it, because I tend to lose patience fairly quickly with these kind of bloat-a-thons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There'll be a discovery tour added later on, if you're not able to get there on your own :D

Met Chet in Essex
    the cake was a lie
    :D

Also there was a Prodigy reference in another world event there
    Smack my Bishop

Advertisement