Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAUL MURPHY T.D. wants us to nationalize Aer Lingus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

silver2020 wrote: »
    what a fool.

Born with a silver spoon, spoilt rotten, and finds his only route to power is to make sheep believe the sh1te he talks about.

Excellently sums him up. You've found words I couldn't find last week when I saw him coming out of Fallon & Byrne with his grocery shopping last week.

Nothing against people going into Fallon & Byrne. But the absolute bollo*kcs carry on of portraying himself as a hero of the "working class" when it's far from that he was reared, nor is it a lifestyle he lives by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blaze420 wrote: »
    This kind of thinking pisses me off /

/the planet can ****ing burn before I will ever accept an enforced holiday in this ****hole over somewhere with a bit of sun and heat.

What makes you think you are entitled to a foreign holiday? You are entitled to nothing of the sort. The penny will be a long time dropping for many people that's clear enough. Business as usual is over and it might be a good idea to recalibrate your lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I really enjoyed that interview this morning. Really highlighted the amount of hot air the whole PBP/AAA/Rise cohort like to spout.

Pat even corrected him firstly by saying Willie Walsh used to work for Air Lingus, PM then counters by saying yeah but he couldn't fly a plane....Pat then pointed out that he'd been a pilot for many years. It was comical. Even when Pat gave him a clue not to go down that particular blind ally, he couldnt help himself, he had to keep digging.

I'm only sorry Pat didnt go in hard on him, he was there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

That was hard to listen to at times but Fair play to pat for actually knowing his onions on the business and being able to shout Murphy down on his nonsense.

But it really makes me ask how headbangers like him and the rest of them get so much airtime on national media to spout rubbish like that. They polled less than 3% in the recent election, why are they seen as so relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

What would anybody in the government or public sector know about running an airline??

All you have to do is look at South African Airlines to see this idea of government and public sector getting involved in airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

No.

Aer Lingus is a private company owned by IAG. IAG is not an Irish company, it's Spanish, with headquarters in the U.K.

The Irish Government only recently offloaded its stake in Aer Lingus, so what's the point of buying some of it back?

It might hurt some people to admit it, but Ryanair is more so Irelands national airline than Aer Lingus.

You have a point regarding ownership structure but lets not pretend Ryanair shareholders are exclusively Irish.

Also, when it comes to strategic importance to the state, Aer Lingus comes out on top for almost every parameter.

The whole argument over who the national carrier is matters very little, in the eyes of a government, each business is measured on it's importance to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Just listened back to it now.

It won't gather anywhere near the same attention but that was up there with Maria Bailey levels of being a terrible interview performance.

Paul Murphy wants lots of things. The thing he wants most though is for people to hear his voice.

Strange how he didn’t post a link on his social media! I actually thought it was someone taking him off, as I’d missed the start of the interview! Pat let him hang himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

1123heavy wrote: »
    False, Stobart Air is majority Irish owned and operate under an Irish AOC with HQ in Dublin, Ireland.

Irish in every way.

Actually it's kinda unclear as to who owns the thing. The employees only became aware not so long ago that they had been gifted 51% into a trust. As I understand it the lawyers are going to have a field day trying to work out if it hasn't breached it's AOC along the way. Management say no, CAR say it's all dandy cos Stobart say it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I work hard during the year therefore I will spend my money on whatever the **** I want to - if that's a foreign holiday then that's what I will buy. Scumbag eco lunatics don't have any say in any shape or form to dictate what I spend the money I earn on so they can go **** themselves. Is that re-calibrated enough for you?

While in Greece last year with the OH.... was took some time off business to have a little break. Went to the islands.

At dinner one night with a large group of people , it was mentioned by some friends how much I travelled for work. I was then attacked by an Irish couple for wasting the planets resources and dumping massive amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere.

My Reply: "I suppose you swam here?"

Cue red faces lots of laughter amongst everyone else at the table and a big flounce!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What makes you think you are entitled to a foreign holiday? You are entitled to nothing of the sort. The penny will be a long time dropping for many people that's clear enough. Business as usual is over and it might be a good idea to recalibrate your lifestyle.

It's a free country and I and anyone else is fully entitled to go on a foreign holiday if they want it. My parents were going to Spain on holidays every year from the early 70s and they were far from rich. So it's not in any way a new thing.

Maybe instead of demonising the airline industry while creates 2-3% of the worlds CO2 output we should concentrate on the actual heavy hitters like there energy sector and the transport sector and the farming sector. You know the actual heavy polluters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

NSAman wrote: »
    While in Greece last year with the OH.... was took some time off business to have a little break. Went to the islands.

At dinner one night with a large group of people , it was mentioned by some friends how much I travelled for work. I was then attacked by an Irish couple for wasting the planets resources and dumping massive amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere.

My Reply: "I suppose you swam here?"

Cue red faces lots of laughter amongst everyone else at the table and a big flounce!

A great response at that :D Why are these "save the planet" types the biggest ****head hypocrites going? Pretentious assholes and nothing less. "What makes you think you are "entitled" to a foreign holiday" like the fella above - **** off and mind your own ****ing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Get Real wrote: »
    Excellently sums him up. You've found words I couldn't find last week when I saw him coming out of Fallon & Byrne with his grocery shopping last week.

Nothing against people going into Fallon & Byrne. But the absolute bollo*kcs carry on of portraying himself as a hero of the "working class" when it's far from that he was reared, nor is it a lifestyle he lives by.

if there's a sentiment I like less; I'm yet to find it... don't care who it's applied to.

where's suitable for the working class to shop? Poundsaver?

lawred2 wrote: »
    if there's a sentiment I like less; I'm yet to find it

where's suitable for the working class to shop? Poundsaver?

Its not a comment on the working class, its a comment on Paul Murphy being faux working class. That his "man of the people" schtick is just a ploy for him to market himself, and its pretty cynical.

He pretends to be the voice of a certain demographic, but lots of people suspect that thats far from his own reality.

It's a free country and I and anyone else is fully entitled to go on a foreign holiday if they want it. My parents were going to Spain on holidays every year from the early 70s and they were far from rich. So it's not in any way a new thing.

Maybe instead of demonising the airline industry while creates 2-3% of the worlds CO2 output we should concentrate on the actual heavy hitters like there energy sector and the transport sector and the farming sector. You know the actual heavy polluters.

It's always someone else's job to save the world isn't it?

It's always someone else's job to save the world isn't it?

That’s your problem - nobody asked you and nobody appointed you but like all climate dullards, you took on the mantle yourself and think you can pontificate and condescend to everyone else. Doesn’t work in reality does it?

and who are you exactly? Just someone who presumes to carry on where you were forced to leave off. Well I'll let you make the discovery that this is all changing right under your feet.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Its not a comment on the working class, its a comment on Paul Murphy being faux working class. That his "man of the people" schtick is just a ploy for him to market himself, and its pretty cynical.

He pretends to be the voice of a certain demographic, but lots of people suspect that thats far from his own reality.

So you want him to shop where? To be consistent with what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Being honest I couldn't imagine anything worse for Aer Lingus then being re-nationalised.

What may be required is a cash injection, with clause for repayment - I think many would support that given how many jobs directly and secondly are involved.

Governments should have no Business in nationalising air travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I missed the interview ( T.G. )

Did Mr Murphy explain why he didnt want to nationalize the main Irish Airline ?

• Advertisement

So you want him to shop where? To be consistent with what?

I don't care where he shops. I'd like him to stop pretending to be an advocate for people in less well off areas. He's just an antagonist, he'd fight with a wall.

I don't care where he shops. I'd like him to stop pretending to be an advocate for people in less well off areas. He's just an antagonist, he'd fight with a wall.

He is annoying sure - but he's free to advocate for whomever he likes. It's not a prerequisite to come from a sink estate to speak for those in a sink estate. Where's the evidence that he's not genuine?

It's also puerile to criticise where a person shops.

and who are you exactly? Just someone who presumes to carry on where you were forced to leave off. Well I'll let you make the discovery that this is all changing right under your feet.

Nothing is changing to the extent of your wet dreams so take your head out of the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What would anybody in the government or public sector know about running an airline??

People had former lives to being public servants and politicians.

I'm a public servant. I could run a transport or warehouse company no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

As bad as the Willy Walsh bit was, the line about what does Michael O Leary now was brilliant. Dunno how Paul delivered that without laughing. As unlikeable to some as O'Leary is, he certainly knows how to run an airline.

Murphy was clearly looking for a quick headline and made a tit of himself

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Being honest I couldn't imagine anything worse for Aer Lingus then being re-nationalised.

What may be required is a cash injection, with clause for repayment - I think many would support that given how many jobs directly and secondly are involved.

Governments should have no Business in nationalising air travel.

The cash injection can come from the Spanish Government where IAG is incorporated.

AL is not an Irish company.

He is annoying sure - but he's free to advocate for whomever he likes. It's not a prerequisite to come from a sink estate to speak for those in a sink estate. Where's the evidence that he's not genuine?

It's also puerile to criticise where a person shops.

I actually wasnt the poster who brought up where he shops, so you can back down on that and address your points to the correct person please.

I do howevre think he's a phoney. I think the main evidence is that he was one of the ringleaders in whipping up a frenzy over water charges, something that got him great personal exposure, but I'd argue didnt serve his constituants too well, let alone the whole country who still have an underfunded, broken water system.

He's like Boris Johnson. He's not a conviction politian, he's a mouth who likes attention.

I actually wasnt the poster who brought up where he shops, so you can back down on that and address your points to the correct person please.

I do howevre think he's a phoney. I think the main evidence is that he was one of the ringleaders in whipping up a frenzy over water charges, something that got him great personal exposure, but I'd argue didnt serve his constituants too well, let alone the whole country who still have an underfunded, broken water system.

He's like Boris Johnson. He's not a conviction politian, he's a mouth who likes attention.

I know you weren't - but you jumped in in response after I raised that issue with that poster. Don't defend another poster's posts if you don't want to stand over them or have those viewpoints attributed to you.

duffman13 wrote: »
    As bad as the Willy Walsh bit was, the line about what does Michael O Leary now was brilliant. Dunno how Paul delivered that without laughing. As unlikeable to some as O'Leary is, he certainly knows how to run an airline.

Murphy was clearly looking for a quick headline and made a tit of himself

he's good at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The cash injection can come from the Spanish Government where IAG is incorporated.

AL is not an Irish company.

Aer Lingus Group DAC and Aer Lingus Ltd are registered in Ireland, it's 4,000 employees pay tax in this state.

Advertisement