Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Sitcom Character (US & Canada)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Chandler Bing is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Well even with boards constantly crashing Chandler Bing manages to seal the deal with a 4-1 win. I'm with davetherave and would've liked to see Jared go through, but that's how the cookie crumbles

I'll do one more for tonight, and then resume tomorrow (not too early, not before 10). As boards keeps acting up, and its the last match of the night, I'll forego the time limit on this one, and call it tomorrow if necessary, but hopefully one of these two will get to 4 votes before then!

Match 9

They both love their showtunes, and are no strangers to song and dance, but which of this duo would you give a Tony Award to...

Carlton Banks (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)
    HLqHS9cl.jpg

vs

Mitchell Pritchett (Modern Family)
    OkkMGNRl.jpg

Remember to give a Reason for your vote. Any old reason at all will do.
    First to 4 votes wins or most votes after 45 minutes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Carlton, for the dance alone.

Mitchell isn't that funny, more awkward imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Charlton Bank, he's one of my favourite characters from one of my favourite TV shows from my early teen years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Carlton for the Carlton dance alone.

Modern family got old quick, Mitch was one of the least fun characters, if it was Phil it might be a different story.

Can't believe Kenny ****ing powers was booted while I was out. Eastbound and down is one of my favourite American sitcoms. I kinda think it's a perfect five seasons. Hal was the best character in Malcolm, his speedwalking and body building episodes were stand out.
    I just love everything Danny McBride touches, loved vice principals too, but he shared the spotlight with Walton goggins there. Royal gemstones is shaping up nicely too. His sister is one of the most insane characters I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Ah Mitchell is great I think, remember him breaking down over snorkels the dolphin haha

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

eldamo wrote:
    Can't believe Kenny ****ing powers was booted while I was out. Eastbound and down is one of my favourite American sitcoms. I kinda think it's a perfect five seasons. Hal was the best character in Malcolm, his speedwalking and body building episodes were stand out. I just love everything Danny McBride touches, loved vice principals too, but he shared the spotlight with Walton goggins there. Royal gemstones is shaping up nicely too. His sister is one of the most insane characters I have ever seen.

Kenny might get another chance if you ask LeVar really nicely looking at the rules..... ;)

Necro wrote: »
    Kenny might get another chance if you ask LeVar really nicely looking at the rules..... ;)

Everyone who has been eliminated thus far, still has a chance to win a spot back into the game, but it will be a tough battle and I'll only have a say in it if you lot can't decide yourselves. There's lots of game to be played before we get to that point though, so you'll all just have to be patient... :D

I'd like to give a shout out for Jared over chandler too, chandler was actually my favourite character in that show at the time and Jared probably isn't my favourite character in silicon valley, but man there is some depth to his character. There is a scene in the final season where he finally meets his birth family and it is perfectly heart breaking, great writing to even get him to that point, great acting from him too.

Friends was great but it probably suffers from familiarity and too many poor copies over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Carlton. I didn't appreciate him at the time but looking back he was class.

• Advertisement

And with that Carlton dances his way in to Round 2, with a 4-1 victory

giphy.gif

That's all for tonight folks, will kick things off tomorrow at some stage around 10am hopefully.

Thanks everyone for taking part, this is the first game I've hosted here, so hope you're all enjoying it. Some exciting match-ups to come.

giphy.gif

Thanks for organising this, when I saw 120 I presumed there'd be an awful lot of filler but it has been fairly top notch so far.

Mark a vote down for me for G.O.B. Bluth whenever he turns up. And one for his little blue analyst/therapist buddy too.

eldamo wrote: »
    Thanks for organising this, when I saw 120 I presumed there'd be an awful lot of filler but it has been fairly top notch so far.

Mark a vote down for me for G.O.B. Bluth whenever he turns up. And one for his little blue analyst/therapist buddy too.

As much as I'd like to oblige, I won't be taking votes in advance of the matches, too much of a headache to try and keep track of if everyone started doing that. You'll just have to hope the rest of the voters, have your back for any matches you miss. And spoiler, but only one of those two will make an appearance in the regularly scheduled matches... ;)

Definitely didn't want any filler in it at all, there's certainly a handful of lesser known characters in the mix, and a few I wouldn't personally be a massive fan of, but they're popular enough to earn a spot I think. I had initially intended to only have 62 contestants, plus a second chance winner, and a wildcard, but there were far too many good ones who wouldn't make the cut if I didn't start with the larger number.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ah, glad this didn't go on too long after I went to bed. I only missed one contest. I probably would have gone for Mitchell. Never been much of a Fresh Prince fan. Though Mitchell isn't the best MF character - as above, that'd be Phil.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Ah, glad this didn't go on too long after I went to bed. I only missed one contest. I probably would have gone for Mitchell. Never been much of a Fresh Prince fan. Though Mitchell isn't the best MF character - as above, that'd be Phil.

I don't really get the Phil appeal to be honest, but then again maybe its just because the show went on for so long it showed how stale and one note most of the characters are, only 2 characters from it I've consistently liked, Mitchell being one of them. Maybe you'll find out the other later in the comp, maybe not, only time will tell.

Still aiming to start at 10 this morning. Gives everybody time to drag themselves out of bed (mainly me as I have all the match-ups and pictures all the way over on my laptop at the other side of the room ;) ).

Got through more than I expected last night, so hopefully we'll make another decent chunk of Round 1 again today. A lot of interesting and a few very tough matches on the horizon.

I don't really get the Phil appeal to be honest, but then again maybe its just because the show went on for so long it showed how stale and one note most of the characters are, only 2 characters from it I've consistently liked, Mitchell being one of them. Maybe you'll find out the other later in the comp, maybe not, only time will tell.

If life gives you lemonade- make lemons and life will be all like "whaaaaat?

eldamo wrote: »

Comedy is subjective of course, but...

giphy.gif

Okay, let's get this party started!

Match 10

A fun one to kick off the second day of proceedings, two bloody brilliant characters from two absolutely fantastic shows here, but which will prove more popular with our audience...

Nandor the Relentless (What We Do In The Shadows)
    wKULdYJl.jpg

vs

Randy Hickey (My Name Is Earl)
    n0sVzDol.jpg

I love what we do in the shadows, nandor is wonderful though not a patch on matt berry, but goddammit randy hickey made me have this song at my wedding

also, he got the best score ever on the prison guard test, I have a prison guard in my family, so that always tickled me

Randy Hickey for the win

It's a pity the boys are scientologists in real life, that kinda ruined the show for me.

• Advertisement

If one tournament isn't enough to keep you entertained and distracted in these troubling times, Forum Games got you covered...

Kolido has just kicked off an epic Greatest Cover Song tournament in the thread next door, so be sure to check it out as well...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058072786

Bit quiet this morning, perhaps people are enjoying lie-ins, but just in case anyone missed the current match-up as it got buried at the bottom of the previous page Randy Hickey currently leads 1-0 against Nandor the Relentless and there's still about 10 minutes left to have your say in this one...
    Okay, let's get this party started!

Match 10

A fun one to kick off the second day of proceedings, two bloody brilliant characters from two absolutely fantastic shows here, but which will prove more popular with our audience...

Nandor the Relentless (What We Do In The Shadows)
    wKULdYJl.jpg

vs

Randy Hickey (My Name Is Earl)
    n0sVzDol.jpg

Gonna hold off until 11 to call this one, as I got a bit distracted by shiny things, and don't have the next match ready to go yet anyway...

Randy for me please. Loved his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Gonna hold off until 11 to call this one, as I got a bit distracted by shiny things, and don't have the next match ready to go yet anyway...

Good morning LeVar
    OK, I will make it interesting for you.
    a vote for Nandor.
    I am not familiar with either of the tv series but I really enjoyed the What We Do in the Shadows film!!

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Good morning LeVar
    OK, I will make it interesting for you.
    a vote for Nandor.
    I am not familiar with either of the tv series but I really enjoyed the What We Do in the Shadows film!!

I highly recommend you check out the show if you liked the film! Its equally as brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Randy for me haha, but seriously he's great in my name is Earl, stand out character and probably better than Earl most of the time for me!

It's a bit too bright out for a creature of the night like Nandor and he burns in the morning sun despite a brief stay of execution, leaving the door open for the Cyndi Lauper loving Randy Hickey to walk right in to Round 2 with a 3-1 win, must have some good Karma on his side

Match 11

I did mention there might be one or two puppets making an appearance, right? Well, I bet neither of these is a stranger to having fingers inside them (:eek: Oh My, LeVar behave yourself :D)!
    Were you more a fan of the cat-eating extra-terrestrial or the man-eating weather-reader...

ALF (ALF)
    tYjXyijl.png

vs

Kelly Bundy (Married... With Children)
    Ty9K6Zml.jpg

Alf he’s cuddly.

• Advertisement

if cuddles are what we are going by i would rather cuddle kelly

i don't think she will go too far, but i just didn't get alf at all

Advertisement