Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

The program for government isn't going to deliver what you claim it is going to deliver. have you not read it? It is available for download.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Fossil fuel will be around for a while yet but we must make serious moves away from it in this generation for there to be a future for our children. This will put some noses out of joint but it has to be so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Congrats to the Greens

It’s great news

Even if it just triggers so many people :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Congrats to the Greens

It’s great news

Even if it just triggers so many people :-)

Are you for real? Last time they had any power they flooded the place with diesel cars without having any clue as to the consequences. This country is a joke, as are all the sheep living in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

No

I want the industry targeted Until a C neutral solution is implemented. Then, fly away

You do realise that it is scientifically impossible to have aircraft that are carbon neutral. Why do you think flight was never achieved until the Wright brothers decided to slap on an internal combustion engine to their aircraft?
    Nothing else delivers as much power for as little weight as an internal engine or a jet engine. Cant go electric because the weight of the batteries and the sheer volume they take up, and solar will never generate enough electricity even if you covered the entire surface of an aircraft with solar panels. Even if technology improved 1000% it would still be impossible.

As it is aircraft are actually the most environmentally friendly form of transport for mass transit of people.

Let me put it another way. A 747 uses 5 gallons of fuel per mile.
    That sounds horrendous doesn't it.
    But consider that that 747 typically carries 500 passengers as well as cargo at the same time.
    A 747 is transporting 500 people 1 mile using 5 gallons of fuel. That means the plane is burning 0.01 gallons per person per mile. In other words, the plane is getting 100 miles per gallon per person! And that doesn't even account for any additional cargo carried.
    Name any other form of transport that is that economical, you cant. Even electric trains use more power per person carried.

Hike the cost of aviation fuel and all that is going to happen is airlines will buy their fuel, in other countries. A 737 that flies between Ireland and the UK or Europe can easily do two or three return trips without the need to refuel.
    The result will be lost tax revenue (that the greens might need for their green projects), lost jobs at Irish airports (both refuelling and servicing of aircraft), and zero, absolutely zero, impact on the number of aircraft landing in Irish airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So folks on the aviation issue

We need to wind down air travel until a carbon neutral solution is found

We are on an island so total eradication is not viable. However air travel can be minimized through

Green taxes on all carriers flying into the state and all airport operators.

Green levies on all air tickets making “on a whim” flights uneconomical. No need for flights in a huge amount of cases - online meetings/telephone calls/emails cover the majority of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jackboy

So on the aviation issue

We are on an island so total eradication is not viable. However air travel can be minimized through

Green levies on all air tickets making “on a whim” flights uneconomical. No need for flights in a huge amount of cases - online meetings/telephone calls/emails cover the majority of cases.

What about inward tourism? Should that be stopped?

jackboy wrote: »
    What about inward tourism? Should that be stopped?

The coming technology is solar powered ferries

A link here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar-powered_boats

Let ppl travel on that until a c neutral solution is found.

There is more than electric which currently has problems with battery production recycling etc. Natural gas, biofuels should come into the mix.

It’s a long ferry trip from the US.

• Advertisement

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Are you for real? Last time they had any power they flooded the place with diesel cars without having any clue as to the consequences. This country is a joke, as are all the sheep living in it.

I didn’t see them handing out free diesels? Did they?

They're away with the fairies. It's embarrassing really.

I didn’t see them handing out free diesels? Did they?

Don't be stupid, they may as well have, end result would have been the same.

So on the aviation issue

Most air travel is not necessary, people going to lie on a beach to get sunburned, have a boozy weekend or get stoned. Look at the spread of covid without mass air travel it wouldn't have happened.

You need to realise there is a climate emergency on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How do you think we should target the reduction of damage being done to the environment from its current rate?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Most air travel is not necessary, people going to lie on a beach to get sunburned, have a boozy weekend or get stoned. Look at the spread of covid without mass air travel it wouldn't have happened.

Very true.

There should be a levy of approx 100 on all discretionary flights

For business I would suggest a 200 levy. No need for 99% of those trips. A quick phone call can cover it in most cases.

Well the Green Party don’t believe that. They have agreed to back loading the reduction in carbon.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Don't be stupid, they may as well have, end result would have been the same.

So how much did you get these nearly free diesels for?

That is a very broad statement there with a tenuous link between the behaviour you wish to prevent and a measurable achievement of your desired goals. It seems you think this climate "emergency" gives carte blanche for martial law and social reprogramming.

• Advertisement

Not really, majority of people are aware of a climate crisis which has started years ago which so far Ireland have ignored

That is a very broad statement there with a tenuous link between the behaviour you wish to prevent and a measurable achievement of your desired goals. It seems you think this climate "emergency" gives carte blanche for martial law and social reprogramming.

PLEASE read David Wallace Wells article about what faces the planet over the coming 100 yrs, or his book

How do you think we should target the reduction of damage being done to the environment from its current rate?
    In my opinion more carrot, less stick but then I'm not a totalitarian wannabe.

PLEASE read David Wallace Wells article about what faces the planet over the coming 100 yrs, or his book
    I've plenty other works of fiction that I'd prefer to spend my time reading.

So how much did you get these nearly free diesels for?

Not getting into your stupid argument. I didn't mention price at all, they brought in the cheap tax which caused a flood of diesels in the country spewing nox gas everywhere.
    Take a look out your door to see the evidence.
    Cop on.

Outta here, bunch of psychos, thank God the lunatics aren't in power alone and someone might put a stop to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Go back through my posts over the years

For example see how much I am disliked in the aviation forum as they know my philosophy

Who knows

You might actually learn something !

Back to your trolling again, didn’t you already get a warning about it some weeks back?

Btw aviation won’t be targeted for the forseeable future, but keep dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

You know anything about boats?
    Ever owned one or sailed a boat?

The problem is size. The bigger the boat the more power it needs to to propel it.
    I have sailed, and helped refit a yacht to run with an electric motor. I do know what I am talking about.

If there was a possibility of a ferry that travels any sort of distance, (more than 10km) the likes of Stenna would be on it like flies on sh!te.

That tourist ferry you gave a link to, travels at a maximum speed of 9 knots. (approx 16 KPH). Now here's the thing is, boats work roughly to the inverse square law. You want it to go twice as fast you need 4 times more energy. You want it to be twice as big but still do 9 knots you need 4 times more energy. You want to do both then you are going to need 16 times the energy.
    Scale it up to a point where it would be commercially viable for even crossing the Irish Sea and you simply could not put enough electric batteries into it, or possibly charge those batteries.

Stick to talking about the things you might actually understand.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Back to your trolling again, didn’t you already get a warning about it some weeks back?

Btw aviation won’t be targeted for the forseeable future, but keep dreaming.

I’m not trolling I am an ardent “deep green” ecologist. Look it up micky

I've plenty other works of fiction that I'd prefer to spend my time reading.

You obviously don’t know who David Wallace Wells is if you think it’s a work of fiction ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Send it to Donald Trump, he needs toilet paper

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement