Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

right lads

say i wanted to explore, at some stage, the option of adding more storage

going by the above can some kind and able soul inform me what connections might be left free/available

or is there a way to find this out in a scan or similar?

If you got the regular battery there's a 2.5" SATA drive bay empty inside the machine. If you got the larger battery this space is used up by the extra battery cells and you'd have to upgrade your NVMe drive. That said NVMe drives are getting cheaper and cheaper so you can get 1tb NVMe drives for good prices now or kust use an non NVMe m.2 drive if you wanted to save a few quid as the vast majority of people will never use the extra transfer speeds NVMe provides over SATA.

thanks!

i should have a bay free, have the smaller battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

thanks!

i should have a bay free, have the smaller battery.

Throw something like this in so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H5BTB34?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Of you're not worried about transfer speed on the secondary drive and just want it for file storage save yourself a few quid and just get a 2.5" hard drive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LY3Q201?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭dodzy

Impressed so far with the laptop.

Great battery life, screen is decent. Mostly been using it for web browsing, Youtube, a few Adobe photo and drawing apps.

I always liked Lenovo's keyboards. The trackpad is nice and big too. Fingerprint login works far better than my HP Envy.

Good array of ports - USB-C, yet also has HDMI, SD slot, headphone jack and a few USB-A ports. So no need for an extra dongle really unless I want to ethernet but that's rare.

Installing Windows from scratch is great too, absolutely no Lenovo bloatware etc.

Best 590 quid I have spend in recent years!!

Absolutely agreed. Lovely machine. Battery life on the larger lump is superb. Glad I opted for the touchscreen also. Backlight was a no-brainier too. Only gripe......and it’s minor.... but the MMC reader protrudes SD card just too far. It barely slots in. Also, had an issue with card recognition; USB port was fine but MMC card detection was erratic. Went to the Lenovo site with the card installed, done an auto search for driver update, and sure enough, up it came. Installed and all good afterwards. It did not install the correct driver first time around.
    1st world problem for sub €500 laptop, I know :) Might pick up a regular charger at some point to free up the C port.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

FFVII wrote: »
    What bloatware is their usually?

I used the FreeDOS option and installed my own OSes so I can't say what they might pre-install nowadays. But every time I hear the name Lenovo I am reminded that there was a time when they used to do this kind of thing...

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

You know yourself, new laptops come with a trial of McAfee or Norton, or trials of Office, Lenovo support apps, Lenovo wireless utilities and other junk. Not major but probably the first thing when I do when I get a new laptop is clear out all that ****e. Installing Windows from scratch was quicker than even going through all that.

Throw something like this in so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H5BTB34?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Of you're not worried about transfer speed on the secondary drive and just want it for file storage save yourself a few quid and just get a 2.5" hard drive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LY3Q201?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

never mind....opened it up, ive the 70w battery in!

no disaster, i cant see myself filling it if im at all careful, just good to know for future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Where do you sign up to the newsletter for the additional 10% discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

unklerosco wrote: »
    Where do you sign up to the newsletter for the additional 10% discount?

Scroll down.....down.............. another bit.........there it is

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/pc/

Cheers, assumed there was a specific one for the 10%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 thepigeon

Does anyone know if having the metal palmrest means you get the metal sku, because I saw on their website that only the "Metal SKUs" of the Ideapad 5 14 have 100% sRGB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

How would this compare to my dell 7280 ?

I7 7th gen, 16gb ram, 256 ssd ?

Would i notice it being much of an upgrade ?

i7 7th gen was only dual core, so it depends on what you use it for. General purpose browsing, watching videos, document editing - not at all. If you're running heavy excel sheets, stats software, that sort of thing - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Hmmm....signed up but received no welcome email from lenovo. Searched trash folder etc but no sign of it. Anyone else?

Edit - never mind. It eventually arrived. Just slow I guess.

thepigeon wrote: »
    Does anyone know if having the metal palmrest means you get the metal sku, because I saw on their website that only the "Metal SKUs" of the Ideapad 5 14 have 100% sRGB?

for metal you need metal palmrest and the 2.4mm thickness screen option (the good sRGB coverage screen) in customise

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Hmmm....signed up but received no welcome email from lenovo. Searched trash folder etc but no sign of it. Anyone else?

Edit - never mind. It eventually arrived. Just slow I guess.

I never received mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ipnface

I can't get windows to recognise the fingerprint reader after installing the driver from Lenovo on a fresh install of windows. Did anyone else have this issue? And could you fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

For anyone interested, I managed to get Windows 7 installed on this laptop. It took ages to figure out but it is straight forward enough once you know. It actually feels faster than Windows 10 but I am having some (surprisingly minor!) driver issues with the touchpad. Also anyone with the AX wifi 6 chip may run into problems also.

Here's a comparison of the userbench scores (it didn't pick up some of the components for some reason. I didn't delete them):

Windows 7
    UserBenchmarks:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800U - 82.9%
    SSD: Nvme KBG40ZNT512G TOS 512GB - 256.2%
    RAM: Samsung M471A1G44AB0-CWE 2x8GB - 77%
    MBD: Lenovo 81YQ

Windows 10:
    UserBenchmarks: Game 25%, Desk 65%, Work 69%
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800U - 70.1%
    GPU: AMD Radeon Graphics - 17.2%
    SSD: Kbg40znt512g TOSHIBA MEMORY 512GB - 156.1%
    RAM: Samsung M471A1G44AB0-CWE 2x8GB - 72.1%
    MBD: Lenovo 81YQ

Why put 7 on it??

Why put 7 on it??

Because I much prefer windows 7. I was expecting someone would ask but I'm not going to get into a debate about it. It's all a matter of preference.

And it's not a matter of "just getting used to it". I have used W10 for work for the last 2 years (so about 95% of the time) and I absolutely despise it. If ever there was anything that could reduce a grown man to tears, it would be W10 - frequent crashes, slow-downs, hours upon hours of lost work...

Windows 7 is such a breath of fresh air when I go back to it. So thats why. So stable. Quicker too as you see above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

If you leave the laptop for few days after shutting down, when you start the laptop again you notice some battery drain. I left it for 3-4 days then noticed the laptop battery was at 60% or so, next time I started.

I did a shutdown, not sleep or Hibernate. Just wondering whats draining the battery? Anyone noticed this?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    If you leave the laptop for few days after shutting down, when you start the laptop again you notice some battery drain. I left it for 3-4 days then noticed the laptop battery was at 60% or so, next time I started.

I did a shutdown, not sleep or Hibernate. Just wondering whats draining the battery? Anyone noticed this?

I came across a setting in power options the other day that strategically keeps the power level at around 60% (as it's better for the life of lithium batteries apparently). Might be worth checking power options to check there is a setting like this applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Because I much prefer windows 7. I was expecting someone would ask but I'm not going to get into a debate about it. It's all a matter of preference.

And it's not a matter of "just getting used to it". I have used W10 for work for the last 2 years (so about 95% of the time) and I absolutely despise it. If ever there was anything that could reduce a grown man to tears, it would be W10 - frequent crashes, slow-downs, hours upon hours of lost work...

Windows 7 is such a breath of fresh air when I go back to it. So thats why. So stable. Quicker too as you see above!

I understand what you are saying, you probably had a bad experience with Win 10. Just wondering, does some positive points out weigh the security risk of running Win 7, considering its out of support?

I too have a work laptop with Win 10 which every now and then crashes, I blame it on the magnitude of software loaded by the desktop team, encryption, delay in driver updates etc for the crashes.

My personal laptop fares much better. Dont remember when was the last time it crashed, must be 4-5 months back.

I understand what you are saying, you probably had a bad experience with Win 10. Just wondering, does some positive points out weigh the security risk of running Win 7, considering its out of support?

I too have a work laptop with Win 10 which every now and then crashes, I blame it on the magnitude of software loaded by the desktop team, encryption, delay in driver updates etc for the crashes.

My personal laptop fares much better. Dont remember when was the last time it crashed, must be 4-5 months back.

I'd rather have windows 7 rife with viruses than to use window 10. Just because it's out of support doesn't mean it can't be fully functional or safe.

I know you can modify windows 10 to your liking but just the layout and behaviour of the system I just find so frustrating. I think Microsoft peaked too soon with windows 7 - it was too close to perfect and now they have a big problem with migration to new OSs. A disproportionately high amount of people still use windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

ipnface wrote: »
    I can't get windows to recognise the fingerprint reader after installing the driver from Lenovo on a fresh install of windows. Did anyone else have this issue? And could you fix it?

I use a few different Lenovos, found Lenovo Vantage software is the easiest way to make sure all correct and latest drivers are installed.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Just because it's out of support doesn't mean it can't be fully functional or safe.

That's exactly what it means unless you're paying for extended support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Does this laptop have a vga slot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a common Windows 10 issue across manufacturers, disabling fast start up and always on power for the USB ports can help. Some people do blame Lenovo Vantage.

On the win 7 v 10, I use both for work, much prefer 10, it's been rock solid for me.

kala85 wrote: »
    Does this laptop have a vga slot

no laptops come with a vga connection anymore pretty much

hdmi to vga adaptor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ipnface

mcbert wrote: »
    I use a few different Lenovos, found Lenovo Vantage software is the easiest way to make sure all correct and latest drivers are installed.

Thanks for your reply. The drivers are installed and vantage says everything is up to date. Maybe they omitted that piece of hardware by accident, no way to tell though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement