Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's fashions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

JayZeus wrote: »
    Imagine thinking some internet tut-tutting and high horsing overrides human nature.

How about I replace 'pig' with 'Jane', or 'Aine', 'Sinead'? What difference? None.

Clothing choices matter. Don't dress like a slob. Fashion is a catch-all at times for outright laziness, with athletic fashion being one of the clearest indicators that someone is taking shortcuts, even if the wearer isn't a fat girl in yoga pants.

Dress like an adult if you're an adult and understand that you'll be judged by people, even when they don't mean to. I just accept that I do it, which is what seems to be bothering you most.

Go to your Mammy and tell her a stranger on the internet said she needs to take away your shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

lucalux wrote: »
    Not in my experience. You could hear those comments from all kinds of men.

Makes no odds, whether someone's ahead in their career or a scrote, some people are just like that.

Edit: I had missed the last posters comment, and have basically said the exact same thing, sorry!
    It's a judgement. It doesn't need to be true. It's judgement on the character of someone based on statements they make. Like judging people by what they wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Those leggings look trashy and cheap

Classical fashion doesn't age.

These trends will die soon hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

anewme wrote: »
    The thread relates purely to judging people on appearances.

People making comments about a pig in yoga pants are saying a lot about themselves. No judgement necessary.

So, you've never heard anyone in your family or friend group judge someones appearance negatively?
    I'm genuinely amazed if you haven't.

The point I'm trying to get at here, is that you've judged anyone who judges people on their appearance to be a waste of oxygen. Not genuine people.
    I disagree.

JayZeus has extremely strong views on women in leggings, (their own opinions to hold) but that's what some people think when they see fat people in revealing or tight clothing.

Beauty standards are always skewed towards thinner people.
    So people finding fat unattractive is not upsetting or surprising to me, it's a logical result of what we put on a pedestal, when you think about it.

People judge, whether we think it's right or not.
    Pretending it's otherwise is all a bit PollyAnna to me, getting upset about others having different ideas of attractiveness is silly to me.
    Maintaining that 'good' people never judge people's appearance, I think, is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Go to your Mammy and tell her a stranger on the internet said she needs to take away your shovel.

Ridiculous post, wheres your shovel

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's a judgement. It doesn't need to be true. It's judgement on the character of someone based on statements they make. Like judging people by what they wear.

I understand you, I just wouldn't personally consider those comments to tell me much about the commenter's social status, their ability to get along with others, be respected, or make headway in their career. Nor would I think it told me much about how intelligent the person is.

It would tell me they make crass comments, and aren't afraid to be heard doing it, but not much else!

People judge, whether we think it's right or not.
    Pretending it's otherwise is all a bit PollyAnna to me, getting upset about others having different ideas of attractiveness is silly to me.
    Maintaining that 'good' people never judge people's appearance, I think, is incorrect.

We all judge all the time. It's how we process things, what is different is how much weight we put on it and how obnoxious we are about it. I find it perfectly reasonable that simple mind could be occupied by different women wearing leggings for a long time. Less simple mind would be quickly bored by it.

You appreciate a bit of rough? Grey tracksuit bottoms are standard issue for teenage scrotes up and down the land

It's a common meme now, ladies (and men) being able to have a gander at what lies beneath :)
    The outlines can be very telling, I hear

I understand you, I just wouldn't personally consider those comments to tell me much about the commenter's social status, their ability to get along with others, be respected, or make headway in their career. Nor would I think it told me much about how intelligent the person is.

It would tell me they make crass comments, and aren't afraid to be heard doing it, but not much else!

It does actually tell a lot about a persons social standing and EQ. These comments would not be tolerated in public.

Lets be honest, if JsyZeus had a position of any authority and made those comments in public, he'd be fired.

We all judge all the time. It's how we process things, what is different is how much weight we put on it and how obnoxious we are about it. I find it perfectly reasonable that simple mind could be occupied by different women wearing leggings for a long time. Less simple mind would quickly bored by it.

Fully agree. We all judge.

Exactly my point when I started :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Those leggings look trashy and cheap

Classical fashion doesn't age.

These trends will die soon hopefully.

They are cheap, €7.99 in H&M. Great value!

Can't wait for it to open back up coz I'm down to only one pair at the minute.

Guaranteed if you seen me anyway you'd eat your words & wouldn't even notice I'd a pair of leggings on. Because I know how to dress where the leggings would be the last thing to be noticed, if even noticed at all.

Thats why I wear them, because I can get away with it.

Fully agree. We all judge.

Exactly my point when I started :)

We do but our judgement also tells a lot about us. There are plenty of clothes I don't like. However how much somebody wearing them actually bothers me tells more about me than them.

It does actually tell a lot about a persons social standing and EQ. These comments would not be tolerated in public.

Lets be honest, if JsyZeus had a position of authority and made those comments in public, he'd be fired.

anewme, I think this bit of the conversation has gone on for a while without getting anywhere, with regards to the points I was making in my replies to you.

I agree with you that someone making those opinions known publicly would lose them social standing, and possibly a job depending on the job.

That's got nowt to do with the points I was making though.
    People judge, and not all of those people are wastes of oxegen.
    It's very common in Ireland, we're a pass-remarkable lot.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it happens.
    You're countering by saying things along the line of 'yeah but it's not nice'.
    I agree with you.

We do but our judgement also tells a lot about us. There are plenty of clothes I don't like. However how much somebody wearing them actually bothers me tells more about me than them.

Yes being aware that we judge can be a great window into our own prejudices, I fully agree.

Another reason why I think it's best if we could acknowledge the judgements we make, so as to learn from them.

anewme, I think this bit of the conversation has gone on for a while without getting anywhere, with regards to the points I was making in my replies to you.

I agree with you that someone making those opinions known publicly would lose them social standing, and possibly a job depending on the job.

That's got nowt to do with the points I was making though.
    People judge, and not all of those people are wastes of oxegen.
    It's very common in Ireland, we're a pass-remarkable lot.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it happens.
    You're countering by saying things along the line of 'yeah but it's not nice'.
    I agree with you.

I dont agree.

The world is changing, its about acceptance now, rather than judging.

It's pretty clear from the social environment that diversity is the way forward. The people who think it's ok to judge others on their appearance are a dying breed and are being left behind.

There is a lot less tolerance of intolerance.

Thankfully.

I dont agree.

It's pretty clear from the social environment that diversity is the way forward. The people who think it's ok to judge others on their appearance are a dying breed and are being left behind.

There is a lot less tolerance fo intolerance.

Thankfully.

I don't think so. Don’t think judging people on their appearance will ever die out.

I dont agree.

There is a lot less tolerance fo intolerance.

Thankfully.

I think those views are likely to be proven fairly 'fashionable' in and of themselves. You're arguing that social diversity will somehow result in people being less selective or judgemental when it comes to ones physical appearance, augmented with clothing choices or not, when this simply isn't something that is borne out by human evolution past, present or future.

But you know what, slap on the back there for that high EQ and striving for what you believe to be fair and true. I'll still judge you if you wear yoga pants in public.

JayZeus wrote: »
    I am in a position of authority.

On the internet, you can be anything or anyone you want to be.

I'd say our definitions of position of authority are likely to be very different.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

JayZeus, don't post in this thread again

I dont agree.

There is a lot less tolerance of intolerance.

Thankfully.

Ok great. You think that, and I'll maintain that appearances matter in a lot of contexts, and judgements are made on them.

Job interviews, court appearances, house viewings for rentals, acting and modelling roles, 'influencer' partnerships.

Wear what you like. Wear a fluffy onesie to your interview, view the house you want wearing trackies, go to court in full rave neons.

None of these things 'should' affect you or your life or prospects, because

"The people who think it's ok to judge others on their appearance are a dying breed and are being left behind"

I think it's more a case of what you would like to be, but it's not reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

They all have lovely bottoms.

Ok great. You think that, and I'll maintain that appearances matter in a lot of contexts, and judgements are made on them.

Job interviews, court appearances, house viewings for rentals, acting and modelling roles, 'influencer' partnerships.

Wear what you like. Wear a fluffy onesie to your interview, view the house you want wearing trackies, go to court in full rave neons.

None of these things 'should' affect you or your life or prospects, because

"The people who think it's ok to judge others on their appearance are a dying breed and are being left behind"

I think it's more a case of what you would like to be, but it's not reality.

The comments here are nothing to do with dressing for the situation or wearing a onesie.

I'm referring here to the comments, that people should only wear what the viewer wants to see.

This thread has nothing to do with dressing up for specifc occasions, it's about fashion in general.

Fashion is not size dependant.

The comments here are nothing to do with dressing for the situation or wearing a onesie.

I'm referring here to the comments, that people should only wear what the viewer wants to see.

This thread has nothing to do with dressing up for specifc occasions, it's about fashion in general.

Fashion is not size dependant.

You don't like people judging.. I think I get that.

You're offended that other people have opinions on what they find attractive and unattractive. Ok.

You're mad that people don't find fat attractive, and that they would rather not see someones ass and fupa hanging out of basically see through leggings while in a queue. Ok.

You're entitled to that. I've no idea why I'm engaging with you when you haven't responded to any of my points, but keep bringing in new ones.
    We can agree to disagree I hope.

It's not a big issue at any rate, I just have too much free time tonight, sitting on my (fat) ass, dodging exercise and eating crisps is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

whats with the new baggy leg, elasticated ankle,
    high waisted tracksuit with long wool trenchcoat look? Is that the new ‘in’?

Maybe a little bit of mystery and beguiling is more alluring than all over explicit!

Maybe a little bit of mystery and beguiling is more alluring than all over explicit!

Comfort I'd say!
    After a cycle of skinny jeans and leggings, pants legs tend to get wider don't they?

Wool coat, baggy trackies and runners is a very practical, warm and comfortable outfit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Comfort I'd say!
    After a cycle of skinny jeans and leggings, pants legs tend to get wider don't they?

Wool coat, baggy trackies and runners is a very practical, warm and comfortable outfit:)

Maybe - but no socks and crop belly top is the other half of this look - its so crafted & I’ve seen it a fair fews time now - and nowhere near a gym!! I think its the new ‘in’!?

Maybe - but no socks and crop belly top is the other half of this look - its so crafted & I’ve seen it a fair fews time now - and nowhere near a gym!! I think its the new ‘in’!?

Most likely styles picked up from 'street style', fashion weeks and such, propagated on instagram, and then they become ubiquitous.

The 'french tuck' became very popular alongside Queer eye, Tan France is the guy I'd associate with popularising it anyway.
    Basically showing off the waist even if wearing baggier clothes

No socks are probably sock liners, invisible socks or whatever.. ankles are 'having a moment' these past few years :)

You don't like people judging.. I think I get that.

You're offended that other people have opinions on what they find attractive and unattractive. Ok.

You're mad that people don't find fat attractive, and that they would rather not see someones ass and fupa hanging out of basically see through leggings while in a queue. Ok.

You're entitled to that. I've no idea why I'm engaging with you when you haven't responded to any of my points, but keep bringing in new ones.
    We can agree to disagree I hope.

It's not a big issue at any rate, I just have too much free time tonight, sitting on my (fat) ass, dodging exercise and eating crisps is all :)

Ahh I'd say we polar opposites alright.

If someone does not like anyones fat ass in leggings, ahhh well, it's a pity about them.

I dont believe self worth is size dependant. Wear what you like.

Free time is good though. Enjoy the crisps.

Ahh I'd say we polar opposites alright.

If someone does not like anyones fat ass in leggings, ahhh well, it's a pity about them.

I dont believe self worth is size dependant. Wear what you like.

Free time is good though. Enjoy the crisps,

Pity about them indeed. Imagine getting that annoyed about someone else's opinion.

Off to polish off the last smokey bacon in the multipack, damn their eyes :)

• Advertisement

Don't forget, matched with a pair of Fila Disprutor's ;)

I actually really like that look.

I don't wear that style myself, I prefare my own coats to be tailored.

I think that's why I can get away with wearing leggings. It's because I just look like a professional who has thrown on a pair of runners to do some errands & I don't think the leggings are even noticed.

Plus I'm slim so they actually look nice on me, but I wear them more for comfort than for the look.

& not every day either, I'm down to only one pair atm so I've to wear my skinny jeans again :rolleyes: :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement