Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s happening with people

Options
  • 21-04-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Are people around you acting like lunatics? I seem to see people arguing almost every day over very small things. Yesterday I was walking with my baby and my child and a little girl tried to approach us (she was outside by herself) so my 4 year old told her to stay away because there is a virus and her mom showed her head out of the window and started yelling “who are you to tell her where to go” and went on to say we shouldn’t have been there. We were around half a km from home so we had every right to be there. Then this morning my next door neighbour came to tell me that my kids are too loud and to tell them to stop running and jumping inside the house. It was 10 in the morning and my kids are never allowed to make noise before 9. We’ve lived here for a long time and it’s the first time he comes to complain.
    Have you noticed people being more short tempered or is this just bad luck ?

Comments

People are just stressed and worried and have a shorter fuse than usual. Some people just lack self awareness, others quick to take offence. I think your neighbour is finding themselves easily irritated with the strain, we're all just a little more highly strung than usual.

My neighbours are fairly chilled, although primarily of an older generation who haven't to raise a brood. The fine spell of weather has helped undoubtedly, many of us are out gardening and painting. Only encountered relatively good cheer in past few weeks. Most folk keeping the best side out, whatever happens behind closed doors is for the curtain twitchers and body language experts to chew on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

lr13z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Russell D. Woodcock

Dear reader,

Being honest, I'm finding this whole Corona business God-awfully dreary. It's a total overreaction to events if you ask me. I'd be classed in the vulnerable category what with being the ripe age of seventy four, but you wouldn't think it to look at me. Yes I've a few more wrinkles around the eyes, and my once thick head of blond wavy hair has thinned and shaded white, but I'm still in fine fettle, have a straight back and down below is still in perfect working order.

I'm not in the slight bit worried about catching the bug, I'm sure I'd give it what for. I've battled tougher ailments. I've contracted Dengue fever, Dysentery and had Malaria. I believe I was one of the first cases of a white man who contracted and survived ebola in Sudan in the 70s. Now that was a ruddy frightful disease.

Thankfully I've a decent acreage around me now, and can ride out to my heart's content in the fine weather. I miss being able to travel over to London, the theater and a stiff drink in Brook's in St. James'

Hopefully this sorry business will be put to rest by June.

Regards,

Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

And in an answer to the OP's question this ^^ arrives.

What a crazy Batsh!t answer!
    People are short tempered, the first woman was being caught off guard for being a terrible mother not paying attention.
    Then you have people working from home, and staying in their house, not having a "break" from work, not being busy and not relaxing people are wearing thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

Yeah I guess it makes sense. I’ve been ok since this whole thing started because I wasn’t doing much with a newborn and a 4 year old anyway. But people whose lives changed completely are easily irritable and that’s normal. Is nobody happy being able to stay off work though ? Why do people always complain they have to work but now that they get to spend time with their families and focus on themselves they are unhappy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

People are just sick of being stuck at home with no social outlets and things that wouldn't normally set them off are. Expect if the lockdown goes on longer things will start to get nastier and more short tempered.

Yeah I guess it makes sense. I’ve been ok since this whole thing started because I wasn’t doing much with a newborn and a 4 year old anyway. But people whose lives changed completely are easily irritable and that’s normal. Is nobody happy being able to stay off work though ? Why do people always complain they have to work but now that they get to spend time with their families and focus on themselves they are unhappy ?

A lot of people would be worried about elderly relatives and friends, or people close who would have health issues to begin with. I have a few people I'm worried about, and I think the uncertainty around the future economically as well as life ever returning to near-normal is loitering around just under the surface with many.

I feel sorry for people trying to work from home and homeschool kids or look after toddlers while they try to get things done, I'm sure it's more of a strain than going into work would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Dear reader,

Being honest, I'm finding this whole Corona business God-awfully dreary. It's a total overreaction to events if you ask me. I'd be classed in the vulnerable category what with being the ripe age of seventy four, but you wouldn't think it to look at me. Yes I've a few more wrinkles around the eyes, and my once thick head of blond wavy hair has thinned and shaded white, but I'm still in fine fettle, have a straight back and down below is still in perfect working order.

I'm not in the slight bit worried about catching the bug, I'm sure I'd give it what for. I've battled tougher ailments. I've contracted Dengue fever, Dysentery and had Malaria. I believe I was one of the first cases of a white man who contracted and survived ebola in Sudan in the 70s. Now that was a ruddy frightful disease.

Thankfully I've a decent acreage around me now, and can ride out to my heart's content in the fine weather. I miss being able to travel over to London, the theater and a stiff drink in Brook's in St. James'

Regards,

Russell

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FifpUMDEBZy3OU%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cvnts are cvnts . Youre just around them longer nowadays so you see the way they go on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Reverting to mean.

These types of health panics were more prevalent once and people developed coping mechanisms. Now, and in part due to the more "enlightened" times, there is no longer the same social constructs that once keep a relative lid on emotive issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I reckon she's probably a pain at the best of times, you are just normally in work so don't see what she is like.
    Unfortunately, at the moment people have time to kill and they are realising what others are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Unlucky I'd say. Most people around here are actually going out of their way to smile at people, I think we're all trying to help each other.

People can choose themselves how they want to react to this, and it says something about their character. We're all unhappy - you can choose to make people more miserable, or try and be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I find that if I dont hit the drink until after the morning showing of The Weakest Link I am fairly tolerant with the neighbours little *****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Your neighbor is just lonely and bored, i suggest a covid style party. crank up the sound and play baby shark on repeat for a few hours. After that kind of relaxation they won't complain about your kids again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Ted, I'm going mad. I'm getting stressed on a walk and going the shop because people don't seem to give a **** about social distancing. I'm going mad at home because the kids game for the last week is who can scream the loudest and make me snap. I need to get back to work or the **** out of here one way or another. Not just for my sake but everyone else's

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There is a mixture of things going on with people I find. Some people are lonely, bored, fearful, of course nasty, some are just stupid and some have mental health issues that they are finding hard to balance now. And some of those saying #stayathome, get over yourself are winding people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know it's the right thing to do but I do worry about the effect this will have on young children being told to stay away from others.. might be easy for adults to understand and rationalise but these are formative times for young children. I hope we don't end up with a cohort of young people with long term neurosis about social interaction.

I wince a little when I hear kids telling each other to stay away, get back etc etc

Obviously again, the right thing to be doing, but still, we're human and we're social.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Dare I be the one to say it but there are a lot of as*holes in the world as it is. Let's be honest, there are. So add all the Corona stuff and people will over do their assholy-behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

A lot of people are working from home which is a pain. I have a newborn, a 2 year old and a husband working from home. It’s not much fun trying to keep the toddler away from his dad in the other room all day! And we have it easy compared to a lot of other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Dear reader,

Regards,

Russell

There could be a bright future for you here, keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A nice cup of tea and a marietta, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

lawred2 wrote: »
    I know it's the right thing to do but I do worry about the effect this will have on young children being told to stay away from others.. might be easy for adults to understand and rationalise but these are formative times for young children. I hope we don't end up with a cohort of young people with long term neurosis about social interaction.

I wince a little when I hear kids telling each other to stay away, get back etc etc

Obviously again, the right thing to be doing, but still, we're human and we're social.

Yeah, it took a while to get our child to learn to stay away from others and now he seems quite obsessed with it, he runs away if he sees a person around. Hopefully when this is over we’ll be able to explain it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think people who are trapped inside their house are right in being less tolerant of the impending ongoing screaming from your children all day - and rightly so. Why endure it for hours when you can put an end to your own misery by nipping it in the bud after ‘only’ an hour.

I think people are intolerant of behaviours that will create greater stress be that screaming children or non supervised children or adults blocking paths etc - there are lots of invisible illnesses and nobody wants to accidentally bring home a disease that will kill their parents or child or partner because someone else didn’t give a f***.

It’ll be interesting of this new no tolerance approach to bad behaviour in society will last after the plague is over. Can’t be too bad a thing for society - having rules for behaviour and consequences for actions.

As regards people I think its nice to see families out together ( thank God its sunny) and parents for once having long quality time together with no pressure to rush to a commercial activity or for food. It’s like being inside a Brady Bunch or Waltons commercial - good clean family values, picnics, no tolerance of screamers or bad behaviour, fathers spending time with their sons and family relaxing together in the sun. Just thank God I live somewhere nice with lots of green space and houses - I can imagine being stuck in a shut city or appartment block wouldn’t be as rosy. I bet the no tolerance of bad behaviour would apply even more there thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’ll be interesting of this new no tolerance approach to bad behaviour in society will last after the plague is over. Can’t be too bad a thing for society - having rules for behaviour and consequences for actions.

Would be nice to think this will be the “case” but considering the, shameful, necessity for all the ads on tv against domestic abuse, the talk on radio of child line calls and stories of people now being trapped with their abusers so I’m not sure too much will change.

It’s actually shocking that that stuff still goes on. It’s 26 years since “fiddling” with kids became unacceptable and the idea that it’s not on to box the head off the wife should be fairly standard by now too.

Absolutely shameful behaviour. I’d like to see stronger punishments around domestic abuse before we get social “shunning“ of noise makers.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 17 office of information

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bee06 wrote: »
    A lot of people are working from home which is a pain. I have a newborn, a 2 year old and a husband working from home. It’s not much fun trying to keep the toddler away from his dad in the other room all day! And we have it easy compared to a lot of other people.

Man shed, set it up so he can survive in their for days(hours yeah hours that's what I meant).

He gets up gets ready for work and leaves, but he doesn't leave he is in the man cave at the end of garden, problem solved....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

damn I'm feeling phreaky tonight, if I could get a few ladies with visors and gloves we could vaccinate the hell out of each other until noon, I'm feeling dizzy, so energetic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cabin fever is setting in i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Where will young lads go to get their hair curled now? And where will they get their baby socks if they have no toddler siblings?

Advertisement