Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing returning May 15th........??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

its ridiculous blaming hri. I really dont see looking at what the Brits are doing and following it as good practice
    We should be acting as conservatively as possible in order to stop a second surge.

You're going to totally ignore the French and germans though? Obviously very low risk industries like horse racing where safe practices can be implemented need to be returned asap. There is little to no benefit to the public health of not getting racing back up and running.

BoldReason wrote: »
    I think that's pretty unfair tbh. The Cheltenham fall out has left a sour taste. It was always going to be difficult for racing to try and differentiate itself from other sports.
    I wouldn't be to worried about comparing how we are getting on to the brits considering the absolute clusterf*ck they have made of all of this.

I'd be happy enough with the June 29th date myself. Think it is fair considering it when aligned with the government road map as a whole.

If it's June 29th the industry will never be the same again. All well and good for punters to say they can wait until the 29th. Owners cannot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Horse racing is just another sport to most. It doesn't even register in the hri list of priorities, ( which is correct to be fair)

Ireland has managed this whole thing better than most and owners and trainers are just another set of people badly effected by this, same as small business owners etc.

It would be better as a whole for racing not to stand out if there is a second wave, as 90% of people just see it as a sport and nothing else (even worse a medium for gambling) . I told a person this morning i was at cheltenham and she was horrified.

There are far worse cases in the country than horse racing owners, who in general are willing to blow a load of cash of a loosing hobby anyway, there just going to loose more this 3 months than normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

If it's June 29th the industry will never be the same again. All well and good for punters to say they can wait until the 29th. Owners cannot

Half the industries in the country are on their knees. What makes racing such an outlier that it can't wait like other industries?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You're going to totally ignore the French and germans though? Obviously very low risk industries like horse racing where safe practices can be implemented need to be returned asap. There is little to no benefit to the public health of not getting racing back up and running.
    I'm not. And the situation isnt the same in every country. Nothing is uniform. You speak of public health as if you know more than a lot of us. The experts have dates in mind for all activities and we've managed the issue fairly well to date so sont see why we should now differ from what experts have been saying.
    the industry likely wont be same again anyway
    Everything will have to alter from this. You will ses shops and supermarkets keeping some of the social distancing protocols into the future
    Owners are struggling. Many courses are feeling the pinch. Especially some who've missed their biggest days of year from shutdown but they just will have to wait. Better to have this short time of hardness to prevent in future more reoccurances and another long term shutdown. Which of these would you prefer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Half the industries in the country are on their knees. What makes racing such an outlier that it can't wait like other industries?

Why would you just want to keep racing closed for spite just because other sports are contact sports and cant keep to protocols?

Just because other business are on their knees does that mean racing should not open up behind closed doors just to stay with others who cant manage what racing can do as regards safety protocols?
    A lot of racing across the world never stopped,France,Germany,Sweden etc all started back up and Britain in 2 weeks time and Ireland which is a world leader in bloodstock will not open because of good old begrudgery?

There are 10,000 racehorses ridden out every morning waiting on HRI to issue a date that they can negotiate with the government but they are doing absolutely FA and their communication is non existent to trainers who are trying to have horses prepared for a short season but also trying to stop them going over the top.

When the French FA objected at the last moment at the weekend to racing re-starting on Monday for nothing but sheer spite, the French equivalent of Kavanagh Mr Rothschild went in again to bat for French racing and successfully persuades a wavering government that it was the right thing to do for his industry.

Cheltenham seems to be mentioned more often than Wuhan for the spread of the virus and not once would Kavanagh stand up for Irish racing and push back against the lies being spread about Cheltenham but they will spend plenty of our money on PR when it comes to promoting themselves.

Complete cowardice in not communicating with trainers until forced to do so and allowing optics and pandering to destroy an industry is not good enough while the rest of Europe and the worlds racing industrys gets on with it

Don't be putting words in my mouth. I'd be quite happy to see racing return. My response was in relation to HRI not releasing a statement. Which they had explaining that they were working on it. Not much point releasing statements if there is nothing to say.
    There does seems to be some sense of entitlement among many in the racing community that they should be alowed carry on at will.

In any case I'd imagine it will be brought forward to some intermediate date perhaps phase 2 in early June.

White smoke expected today, and back next weekend! Seems like a good push in the Dáil and Equestrian Ireland getting up and running has done the job.

Woop woop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

British racing dropped prize money an average 20%.
    The level was pathetic over there before the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

May 23rd possibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Will Aidan have something ready for the 2,000 Guineas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

May 23rd possibly

Where you seeing that only date I see being mentioned is June 8th?

Don't be putting words in my mouth. I'd be quite happy to see racing return. My response was in relation to HRI not releasing a statement. Which they had explaining that they were working on it. Not much point releasing statements if there is nothing to say.
    There does seems to be some sense of entitlement among many in the racing community that they should be alowed carry on at will.

In any case I'd imagine it will be brought forward to some intermediate date perhaps phase 2 in early June.

Who is putting words in your mouth?
    I was responding to you saying why should racing go back when lots of other businesses suffer and "why cant it wait like other industries"

Why should it wait and suffer like others that cannot put the necessary protocols in place and wreck the racing and bloodstock industry for years to come for just sheer spite and begrudgery.

There is no entitlement among the racing community but just sheer worry for peoples business and jobs and concern that live animals can be kept in traing and kept alive.

Kavanagh left trainers completely in the dark for weeks with absolutly no plan in place before the announcement of the roadmap and was completely lost after it, with no communication afterwards,not even a holding statement until forced to release one on the following Thursday.

There has been good leadership,negotiations and communication in every other international racing board including the much maligned British horse board except Ireland where there is a massive bloodstock industry and I hear it was the equestrian industry and individual racehorse trainers who were the heavy lifters in getting racing back on June the 8th while the HRI stood back and said it was up to the government.

I have absolutely no spite or begrudgery. Am quite happy to see racing return. But these are extraordinary times and throwing the toys out of the pram is not going to fix any issues.

Up until 2 weeks ago we had no idea when the lockdown was going to end why have a road map for something that has no start date. Racing was never going to be allowed during the initial restrictions being eased that was fairly obvious and I don't think anyone could have changed that.

Also half the trainers in England are calling for Nick Rusts head over the past month using various platforms to try start a coup. While I don't know much about it it is hardly a sign of good leadership.

Anyway I don't have any more to say on the matter will be looking forward to some action on June 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Great news re bringing date forward
    Important for rural economy

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In fairness, if things can be brought back safely / with protocols / behind closed doors, let's do it ... whether it's racing or tiddlywinks! (Ok, the former would probably have more benefit to the economy! :D )

I'm missing my rugby, and that ain't gonna come back soon (rightly), but that doesn't mean I'm gonna piss on racing if they can get going sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

A good news day

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Irish Guineas set for June 12 & 13. Which is days before Royal Ascot, which means those runners wont enter the St James Palace or Coronation Stakes.
    Irish Derby also run before English Derby, first time in history I'd say.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/coronavirus/irish-guineas-to-be-run-on-june-12-and-13-with-naas-to-host-first-meeting-back/434249

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Irish Guineas set for June 12 & 13. Which is days before Royal Ascot, which means those runners wont enter the St James Palace or Coronation Stakes.
    Irish Derby also run before English Derby, first time in history I'd say.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/coronavirus/irish-guineas-to-be-run-on-june-12-and-13-with-naas-to-host-first-meeting-back/434249
    I'm delighted to have racing back but this is gonna be insane watching horses in prestigious races having their first run of the season and fields lacking the usual quality cos people have to pick and choose what meets to go to.

• Advertisement

stable staff and trainers involved with international participants, including those from the UK, will be required to self-isolate in Ireland for two weeks before being allowed to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

tipptom wrote: »
    Who is putting words in your mouth?
    I was responding to you saying why should racing go back when lots of other businesses suffer and "why cant it wait like other industries"

Why should it wait and suffer like others that cannot put the necessary protocols in place and wreck the racing and bloodstock industry for years to come for just sheer spite and begrudgery.

There is no entitlement among the racing community but just sheer worry for peoples business and jobs and concern that live animals can be kept in traing and kept alive.

Kavanagh left trainers completely in the dark for weeks with absolutly no plan in place before the announcement of the roadmap and was completely lost after it, with no communication afterwards,not even a holding statement until forced to release one on the following Thursday.

There has been good leadership,negotiations and communication in every other international racing board including the much maligned British horse board except Ireland where there is a massive bloodstock industry and I hear it was the equestrian industry and individual racehorse trainers who were the heavy lifters in getting racing back on June the 8th while the HRI stood back and said it was up to the government.

To be honest you come across as very self entitled to me. Reading the nonsense you write hurts my eyes.

Of course HRI said it a government issue because it 100% was. What the hell did you want them to do? **** the government, **** medical advice, we're better than everyone else in the country who is also suffering so we'll just do our own thing?

Maybe you should take note of the bit in a HRI statement, maybe in our world this is a big thing but in the grand scheme of things it's very small.

Have a look at the bigger picture and stop going on like an absolute clown on the internet.

And you hear it was the equestrian industry and individual owners who got racing brought forward to June 8th? Who exactly did you hear this from? Actually dont embarrass yourself by answering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Just reading about issues that F1 are encountering with holding the British Grand Prix. UK Gov want two week quarantine for overseas visitors, sports included.
    This could hurt horse racing too I'd imagine.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/silverstone-british-gp-government-quarantine/4793934/

If staff from outside Ireland have to isolate for 14 days it looks like an A P O'Brien trained 1,2,3 more likely than not in all the Irish classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

They're closing down lots of French racecourses again it's been announced

Yeah Longchamp, Saint-Cloud & Auteuil gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

ASOT wrote: »

Think they could do the same in Britain as well. Start racing for the first few days then shut it down after that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

ASOT wrote: »

Why's that?

Itziger wrote: »
    Why's that?

The French Government withdrew it's approval for racing due to high corona numbers in Paris and the north east.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/coronavirus/paris-racecourses-face-shock-lockdown-as-government-changes-covid-19-policy/434412

• Advertisement

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    To be honest you come across as very self entitled to me. Reading the nonsense you write hurts my eyes.

Of course HRI said it a government issue because it 100% was. What the hell did you want them to do? **** the government, **** medical advice, we're better than everyone else in the country who is also suffering so we'll just do our own thing?

Maybe you should take note of the bit in a HRI statement, maybe in our world this is a big thing but in the grand scheme of things it's very small.

Have a look at the bigger picture and stop going on like an absolute clown on the internet.

And you hear it was the equestrian industry and individual owners who got racing brought forward to June 8th? Who exactly did you hear this from? Actually dont embarrass yourself by answering that.

Yeah,like I will listen to some clown on Boards whose only interest for Irish racing is his pathetic little bets on the all weather.

Now fu*k off you degenerate.

Advertisement