Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing returning May 15th........??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Itziger wrote: »
    For the sake of a couple of weeks??
    That is what he said. He might be trying to pressurise the BHA.
    It could make sense for big owners who have horses with trainers in a few countries to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Anything he says should be taken with a pinch of salt. The same trainer wanted ITV to completely disregard the betting aspect of horse racing when they took over terrestrial coverage from Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Anything he says should be taken with a pinch of salt. The same trainer wanted ITV to completely disregard the betting aspect of horse racing when they took over terrestrial coverage from Channel 4.

He does come across as an angry unpleasant man.

Earendil wrote: »
    He does come across as an angry unpleasant man.
    I have not met him in person, but have sent him e-mails, and received replies.
    He will agree or disagree and say so. No sitting on the fence.
    He read what I wrote, asked questions, and got a reply.
    I think his directness is probably because he has so many horses and staff, and not a lot of time for discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

June 29th unless something comes to a head in the meantime by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/BarryLenihan/status/1258425660542005254?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Wow. Massive ramifications there for the industry if that plays out. Particularly if British racing goes ahead before us meaning our horses will be well behind theirs and even may miss taking on the British and French Classics. I wonder what the revised schedule will look like if thats the case. Guineas weekend first weekend back? August Derby? Our horses miss Royal Ascot, which is still scheduled for June?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

If this doesn’t bring an end to Kavanagh’s reign in HRI then nothing will. His one chance to earn that paycheck that’s almost as big as his waistline and he spends his days tweeting google image searched pictures of Ardmore in Co. Waterford. The man is an utter disgrace and it’s time he’s shown the door.

My guess is there is no problem running Irish horses abroad.
    If they want to run at Ascot, Epsom, or Chantilly they could fly them out as usual, or they could fly them out weeks beforehand and train them abroad.
    I'll admit I haven't read the regulations, but horses have and are being travelled for breeding.

Watching the Mayday documentary on RTE tonight will put things in perspective all the same. A few weeks more to forego horse racing, despite the extra millions it may cost, will be worth it to save an unknown number of lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Email from HRI this morning saying they are hoping to have the restrictions lifted earlier that scheduled in the government's roadmap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

How will horse racing go ahead when the 20km travel limit is not due to be lifted until 3rd week of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭kksaints

Rodin wrote: »
    How will horse racing go ahead when the 20km travel limit is not due to be lifted until 3rd week of July?

Probably through the exemption given for people travelling to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

kksaints wrote: »
    Probably through the exemption given for people travelling to work.

Hardly an essential service and presumably will be closed tracks.
    Some people's families are more than 20k away and won't be visitable until 20th July.

All sounds quite unfair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Rodin wrote: »
    Hardly an essential service and presumably will be closed tracks.
    Some people's families are more than 20k away and won't be visitable until 20th July.

All sounds quite unfair to me.

Mares are being travelled up and down and across the country every day ( under strict provisos ) , hardly essential either you could say, but essential if we want foals in the country next spring.
    Its essential imo to get racing back up and running, to protect the direct and indirect jobs associated with it, and also to provide a market and outlet for the stock already on the ground and in the pipeline.

tatoo wrote: »
    Mares are being travelled up and down and across the country every day ( under strict provisos ) , hardly essential either you could say, but essential if we want foals in the country next spring.

Funny you should mention, I passed a Godolphin box going south on the M7 at Portlaoise yesterday morning. A Godolphin mare going to meet a Coolmore stallion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Funny you should mention, I passed a Godolphin box going south on the M7 at Portlaoise yesterday morning. A Godolphin mare going to meet a Coolmore stallion?

The cold war ended a good while back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Anyone else hearing this being whispered......?

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Anyone have any update?

Complete disgrace by the HRI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Anyone have any update?

Complete disgrace by the HRI

Its not up to the HRI.

• Advertisement

aidankkk wrote: »
    Its not up to the HRI.

Actually Tony holohan just said at his press conference that it is upto them and they're only issuing guidelines.

My main grievance with the HRI is that they haven't given any sort of update. Would remind you of the FAI with their silence.

Heard through the grapevine today however that racing is expected to return the 24th of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Actually Tony holohan just said at his press conference that it is upto them and they're only issuing guidelines.

My main grievance with the HRI is that they haven't given any sort of update. Would remind you of the FAI with their silence.

Heard through the grapevine today however that racing is expected to return the 24th of this month
    its not a complete disgrace though. This is unprecedented times
    Holohan may have said they are only issuing guidelines but it's not that simple and no organisation/sport will want to try open up too early when cases are still relatively high.

Hri probably havent made a statement as so much is unknown as to when racing should likely come back.

British racing will not resume until June 1 at the earliest - Racing Post

HRI released a statement last week saying that it was working with the government to get a date to resume racing. Seems they are trying to get a date and guidelines to resume before June 29th if they can.

BoldReason wrote: »
    HRI released a statement last week saying that it was working with the government to get a date to resume racing. Seems they are trying to get a date and guidelines to resume before June 29th if they can.

Ah lads, if ye thought that statement was even remotely acceptable to all the owners in the country wondering if they should leave their horses in or out of training ye are deluded.

If the statement is acceptable or not there is nothing owners can do. They have no power to start racing.

Ah lads, if ye thought that statement was even remotely acceptable to all the owners in the country wondering if they should leave their horses in or out of training ye are deluded.

What are they to do. They are trying to work to get things going but it is not their call. I took that statement that it is most likely that racing will return on the 29th unless something major happens. I don't really see what the problem is.

France, Germany up and running and even the brits looking at June the 1st.

I totally blame the HRI for the provisional date, clearly they didn't lobby well enough beforehand, racing has shown it can safely operate behind closed doors and for it to be included in June 29th restriction lifting clearly caught them by surprise.

That said we're going to be back before the 29th anyway and hopefully very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I totally blame the HRI for the provisional date, clearly they didn't lobby well enough beforehand, racing has shown it can safely operate behind closed doors and for it to be included in June 29th restriction lifting clearly caught them by surprise.

That said we're going to be back before the 29th anyway and hopefully very soon.
    its ridiculous blaming hri. I really dont see looking at what the Brits are doing and following it as good practice
    We should be acting as conservatively as possible in order to stop a second surge.

• Advertisement

I think that's pretty unfair tbh. The Cheltenham fall out has left a sour taste. It was always going to be difficult for racing to try and differentiate itself from other sports.
    I wouldn't be to worried about comparing how we are getting on to the brits considering the absolute clusterf*ck they have made of all of this.

I'd be happy enough with the June 29th date myself. Think it is fair considering it when aligned with the government road map as a whole.

Advertisement