Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes on donedeal, ebay, adverts etc..

Options

Comments

I can't edit my own post it seems, but it turns out he's a car dealer, actually. Not some random chancer as i first thought (well.. i mean he still could be, but he does seem to have a business!).

Pawwed, seen as he has 19 'high mileage, regularly serviced' bikes, I'd assume these were all courier bikes in a past life.

I never bought anything non-Irish before, so I'm just now reading up on the VRT craic.

So far most things make sense (although if the bikes are on UK plates, rather than NI plates, it complicates things i think!) but can anyone tell me, cos Google isn't really helping, where I would get an EU Certificate of Conformity? Seems to be mentioned a lot in the articles i've read on Revenue's site, but no one seems to know where you get one.

I've seen bikeworld.ie offer to get them for you for €95, but surely this is something that would be readily available (or so you'd assume)?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would get an EU Certificate of Conformity?

In 99.9% of cases, you don't have to worry about the COC. It is inherent in the V5 reg. cert.

It is usually with grey imports that the issue might arise.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Has anyone called to ask the mileage

I seen one on done deal yesterday suspiciously exact same price it had 163000 miles on it

just wondering ?

I seen that one alright. I'm guessing that one, which was a different seller, was bike number 20 (this chap had 19 of them).

In relation to the certificate of conformity, it says I have to upload it to revenue's site before I attend the VRT appointment.

There's a silver bandit I was looking at before someone posted those bikes, and I'm half thinking of going for that instead just because it's already on irish plates.

Having not done vrt before, it's seeming a bit of hassle. I've a van booked for tomorrow, so I'm getting something with two wheels tomorrow, either way.

• Advertisement

It was this one:

but That has a small to do list, aswell, which I presume will cost a few euro more than the €300 he's letting on.. (although I'd be aiming to haggle him anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

The Bandit looks in good condition from the pictures and low mileage

Before I would look at the Honda's up north I would be calling to ask the mileage

According to one site the Honda engine should be good for 150K miles so if they were anywhere near that it may not be worth the hastle

I prob would not let the vrt messing put me off if that's all that's bothering you

I would prob think you could get the Certificate from Honda if you emailed them ?

I would think someone on here would know for sure though

Well based on the single one that appeared for sale, the mileage was above 150k miles. They apparently have a solid service history though. Not sure if that helps..?

Would anyone have a comment to make on this? This is the first bike I looked at (online, haven't seen it in person), because its the bike my instructor will have me on (albeit his bike I'd 300cc, whereas this one is 250cc).

For an extra €500 it seems reasonable, and I'm thinking it might be the better idea. It's newer, low mileage, 6 months warranty and already in Ireland (and ashbourne is only 30 minutes away from me).

My concern is that, at 16.5stone, and not knowing much about bike power/sizes etc that 250cc will be a bit wimpy?

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/benelli-bn251/30063420

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Personally I'd stay away from the Chinese stuff.

So the Armagh/Honda CB500X chap text me and said someone went to him today and bought the last 5 bikes. He said he reckons he may be getting another batch soon and can give me first choice if it suits me.

I worked out the on-the-road (minus insurance costs) difference between the benelli and the Honda (with VRT etc) is about €550. So I've been extensively enough googling Benelli all day and trying to find out good and bad stuff. A lot of people say "stay away" cos apparently they were once Italian made, but are now manufactured in China. To me that's not really a big issue in and of itself as almost everything I've ever bought has been made in China, and I'd presume that, with Benelli being a proper "brand name" that there'd be decent quality control.

I also know a chap that was on my IBT course, who said a friend of his has a Keeway (also a chinese bike) and has had it a while with no issues.

The biggest issue I've seen about Benelli, is someone that claims they bought a brand new one, and the engine failed after 15 days, and Benelli just gave him the runaround, as too, did the dealer he got it from. I'm not sure just how much I believe that to be wholly accurate, but that's the biggest issue I've found, and i've only found one person stating it. Most people seem to be just taking issue with the fact it's Chinese-made (and don't get me wrong, we all know the Chinese will cut corners wherever possible, but again, it doesn't seem to be reflected in real-world usage, from the little bit of reading I've been doing).

So I'm still a bit torn on what to do, but as the Benelli is reasonably cheap, reasonably new, and it's my first bike that'll either spend all it's life with me if i love biking, or be up for sale next summer, if I don't, i reckon it might be a worthy option to consider. Albeit I'll still keep browsing DoneDeal/Adverts in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not, but although it looks like a really nice bike, I couldn't justify that price tag for a first bike unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

6,500 is a lot. I can't imagine they are much more than that new are they? Bikeworld as usual not listing prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

KKV, buy a Honda or Yamaha, for example a restricted Fazer (if they are still allowed, not fully clued up on the current system). Fazer 600 is a lovely bike and pretty low tech to learn bike maintenance etc as well.

Prices are thru the roof. I am itching to change my current bike (F800GT) to something new (R1200RS or GS) but I can't find anything suitable (at the price I am looking to pay). Frigging Brexit has completely ruined biking for us!

Pity these aren't A2 category.

Although maybe a bit too much for a first bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd agree, TDM a bit much and a bit tall.

SV650 would be a cracker. I'm not sure about A categories though, they are a nice engine.

VRT is not a big deal, try and get a NI reg one , not UK reg it helps things run smoothly IFKWIM.

I just cleared an FJR and it was no hassle, literally 30 mins or less in the Blarney office and I was back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Dad has two of these, one he took across South America years ago. I should have gotten one off him as my first bike, the triple cylinder is very smooth according to him and a good road bike. But they're heavy.

Parallel twin engine in the tdm.

P.s. quotes not working for me anymore 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Advertisement

more likely the K75 as the two sat beside eachother for a long time in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

The market from Europe is opening up a bit ..there are guys bringing bikes over in vans. Also from japan. Germany in particular is a cheaper market and the bikes are in way better condition with mots. As time goes on I'd reckon the European Market will overtake the UK and actually be on the whole more value for money.

The german MOT is strict compared to anywhere else. They don't like the after market stuff at all. Has to be TUV approved.

anywhere that isn't Ireland, England or northern France would be good for bikes, not as much salt in the air to corrode the metal.

So I'm the owner of the Benellie 251 from Ashbourne.

Rented a van and went to get it. Spent €95 on the van, and because i knew i was gonna be transporting the bike, and trying to get it out of the van without a ramp, I figured I'd spend the extra €32 on the extra insurance they offer, incase i slipped and the chain of the bike tore lumps out of the bumper or something on the van.

Got out, looked at the bike, was stonewalled when I tried to do any kind of haggling at all (got a disc lock worth about €25 that i'll probably never use, thrown in (https://www.bikermart.co.uk/Mammoth-Rogue-6mm-or-10mm-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock). Yer man said to give him an hour or two as he wanted to make sure it was all above board and right before sending it out. Off to Ikea i went.

Came back and he helped get the bike in the van (little ramp he had) and he pretty much did all the work with tying it down and ratcheting it into place. Then I got home, spent about 25 minutes trying to get it out on a makeshift wooden ramp that i assembled from some old furniture that was ready for the skip. Spent ages fiddling with it and although all was fine, it was a big pain in the ass and could have easily went wrong.

Turns out, yer man from Ashbourne said he'd have delivered it for €50.🙄

So I'd have saved €80, not been under any pressure and had it delivered to my door without any hassle or stress at all. Why the thought of asking could it be delivered didn't enter my head a lot earlier in the process, I do not know. Probably could have got it thrown in for free.

Congratulations

Enjoy

Cheers Pawwed. It's surely not the best bike in the world, but it's a first bike, and I'll make a small effort to keep it somewhat right. Be hopefully something decent to learn the basics on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

Congrats. Any bike is better than no bike, you should have fun on it.

I would know. Sitting here twiddling my thumbs with no bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Wear well. Rubber side down.

Cheers folks, I appreciate it. I really, genuinely appreciate everyone's help over the last couple of days. Thank you all so much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A lovely looking machine, keep it between the ditches and remember all of the gear all of the time, happy riding to you.

Advertisement