Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bikes on donedeal, ebay, adverts etc..

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

FB bike sales page I moderate is still full of people who misspell breaks for brakes, and use such language as "needs nothing" and/or "won't be faulted".

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I bet ya first to see will buy,

And they still can't figure out why no viewers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hi Skill, I’ve actually been looking at maxi scoots but they aren’t that thick on the ground. I’ve seen a few but they hold their value in excess of what a FJR tends to make. I suppose there is a lot more fjrs than burgmans on the ground and their price reflects their popularity

The other part of the puzzle is that my commute is on poor enough country roads and the small wheels don’t like them as much as larger diameter wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Could be a well priced beautiful bike, the owners inability to spell basic words would still put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

Seen an ad earlier on one of the Facebook selling pages. The chap is selling his "mother bike".

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

I have been seeing a few "Won't be faulted" ads. I thought it was some specific way of posting an ad here in Ireland. 😁

Sellers are like sheep, "Not pushed on selling", "Just testing the waters", "Won't be faulted", " Mint"

Most of these are red flags to me.

That said you can get sellers that are genuine but clueless and don't know how to sell a bike so just copy what others have written.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's not only that - it seems that bikers (in general) have quite poor spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Do motorbikes appeal to the less educated I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Yes but they have bigger c0cks to compensate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Ffs

Mid-IBT at the moment. Just done the 1st bit (classroom) and doing the bike bit next weekend. Never even physically touched a bike before.

Does anyone have a comment to share on this, as a first bike? Looking to get A2 and use progression module at a later date for A.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-bandit-gsf650-2005/30143999?campaign=8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

My only comment would be, If you qualify for A then go for A.

Try and get something that doesn't have too much plastic.

Fairings look shabby quickly if not looked after and as a newb you will likely do some damage to them easy enough.

Fair enough if you like the look but a naked with a flyscreen and some crash bungs would be a lot easier to look after than a 1/4 fairing. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

my advise is do the ibt 1st and get try and get a feel for the bikes before rushing to buy anything (as you'll likely be on 1- 2 different bikes smaller then bigger ) and then go from there ,having never touched a bike it can be an eye opener !

I don't know enough about the whole power output thing. My only knowledge really is that 125cc is what i want to stay above to avoid being stuck with 125 or less.

Unfortunately, on Donedeal, etc. all that ever gets listed is CC, making it more difficult to make a decision.

I'm obviously hoping not to drop it, but other than it looking a bit rough (which I don't mind; first bike and all) is there an issue with the plastic being damaged? can you just take it off if it gets damaged?

It can be confusing cos I see some bikes that have "Learner Legal" in the description and i don't know what that means. My presumption is that the bike has been fiddled with, but the logbook or such states it's less powerful than it really is.. but I could be way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There someone in Antrim selling 19 cb500x's on done deal for around 2k sterling each.

I have no clue what bikes fall into which category license but they would make a a decent starter bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

I like that. Looks well and VRT seems reasonable at under €500. Makes it just shy of €3k all-in I believe.

In the unlikely event I happen to buy one of these, anyone on here fancy a spin up? I'd be happy to give you a lift up to yer man, and you could ride it back? (I can't ride a bike yet, legally or capability-wise). Obviously there'd be a couple of euro in it (just tell me what you'd want).

I'm in Drogheda, so it's an hour to him, so it'd be at least 1hr each way and, for argument sake, an hour there looking. I'll supply a McDonalds on the way up. :-P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nobody intends to drop it but it still happens most of us at some stage. I went down 3 or 4 times in my early days on bikes. Had an old NSR125. The fairings were junk after a year.

Ah, no, I know I'll drop it and end up putting it in a ditch at some point. From my thorough, scientific research (that is; skimming Youtube) it seems a common issue is people coming into bends too fast and panic-braking, and ultimately ending up going off the road. I'm sure stupid things like that will happen me, but at the same time, I'm a fairly cautious person.

I wouldn't have that "I'm invincible" attitude at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Or hitting a pothole/bad road surface at speed or car pulling out coz he didn't see you

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Think so too, AFAIK the bike would need to be insured by the owner, they'd need to give the 3rd party permission to use it and they would need to have their own insurance also. A minefield. Better off getting someone who knows how to assess the bike and transport it back to you in a van, maybe someone on donedeal.

Hadn't considered insurance. Figured there might be a "driving other cars" kinda thing with bikes.

So my new plan is to just rent a van off enterprise and get it myself. Only thing I'll struggle with is getting it into the van (getting it out will be handy due to the layout/slope of my shed).

So last question (until I ask another one haha), if i buy one if those, it'll be on NI/UK plates. I'll have to VRT it. Can anyone tell me what paperwork I have to receive with it?

Gonna have a look on Monday and if I feel comfy sitting on it (and can reach the ground) and it doesn't look totally knackered, I'll leave a deposit and call back with a van later in the week.

And thus will begin my new hobby. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭goblin59

same as with cars, for someone like myself to ride it for you, it would need to be insured. So if theyre still insured by the current owner then not an issue.

otherwise they'd need to be insured under your own name. You can explain the situation to an insurance company as they will insure the bike before your IBT is completed on the basis that you won't ride it until you have a completed IBT, but i've rarely heard of this happening.

I'm sure the seller would help you load it into a van, but a ramp and straps would be needed ideally.

when you buy the bike you need to keep the V5C, and make sure the seller doesn't send this off to the DVLA, the RSA require the V5C as part of the VRT. It use to be that the original UK owner fills in the new owners slip and sends the V5C back to the DVLA who then communicate with the RSA but this hasn't been the case for years now. When a non UK owner is written down on the V5C they just don't send out a new document and it messes up the process.

So you'll need a V5C and a receipt of purchase stating the amount you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get the seller to load it into the van and tie it down. They will be expert at it. You will need ratchet straps, foam etc. They should be able to supply these, but arrange this in advance.

How are you going to pick one from a choice of 18? 😀 You will need a plan.

Not your ornery onager

Cheers for the detailed replies, folks.

I'm still interested in picking one up, but i messaged yer man and he said he's down to 5 left, so I'm not sure if I'm picking from scraps or not. But I still might just take a nosey out and not rent the van. If I like one, give him a deposit and then come back later in the week and take it away.

I don't think he'd be supplying foam or such. Seems like someone who just happened upon a good deal on a few bikes rather than someone who is doing it for a living (though I could be totally wrong).

So I need the V5 and a copy of the receipt. Then I assume the VRT will be charged, as calculated [url=https://www.vrt.ie/faq/vrt-rates-motorcycles/]here[/url] meaning, all the newer bikes are likely gone, so I'll end up with a 2016, and likely pay, give or take, €350. So to get the bike (£1,950 = €2,350) I'll be looking at €2,700 + say €100 to rent the van for a day + €100 for tax, meaning without insurance, I'm looking at just shy of 3k.

Seems alright. From watching Youtube, a few people seem to like these as a starter bike.

• Advertisement

They are a decent starter bike alright. Were always a popular courier bike aswell which says a lot about their reliability and cost of running

Advertisement