Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes on donedeal, ebay, adverts etc..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Never buy a "project". Or something that "only need a ____". Or a car that will "fly the nct".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

And it apparently is missing it's identity. "Chassis plate and matching VLC supplied with it"....or words to that effect. Strange for something that doesn't look crashed
    This type of "project" (it's not a project, it's a dodgy bike that's got a few problems) is fine for those who know what they're doing.

The fact that it's a 2nd hand car dealer selling it "as is" should be enough to put anyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Cienciano wrote: »
    Never buy a "project". Or something that "only need a ____". Or a car that will "fly the nct".

My 1000F is a project I took on, it wasn’t sold as that though. I’d never take on something someone else started

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    And it apparently is missing it's identity. "Chassis plate and matching VLC supplied with it"....or words to that effect. Strange for something that doesn't look crashed
    This type of "project" (it's not a project, it's a dodgy bike that's got a few problems) is fine for those who know what they're doing.

The fact that it's a 2nd hand car dealer selling it "as is" should be enough to put anyone off.

The last line in this post should be the key one .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

blade1 wrote: »
    (b) Vehicles registered on or after 1 January, 1991
    For vehicles registered on or after 1 January, 1991, letters and numbers must be black set against a white background of reflex reflective material. The flag of the European Communities, the Nationality Symbol IRL, and the Irish language name of the City/County of registration to be shown.

Vehicles Registered on or after 1 January, 1987
    (c) For vehicles registered on or after 1 January, 1987, letters and numbers must be black set against a white background of reflex reflective material and minimum dimensions should be as shown in the sketches on
    page 4.

Vehicles Registered prior to 1 January, 1987
    (d) Reflex Reflecting Registration Plates
    Front registration plates should have black numbers and letters on a white background. Rear registration plates should have black numbers and letters on a red or white background.

(e) Non-Reflex Reflecting Registration Plates
    Front and rear registration plates should have white, silver or light grey numbers and letters on a black background.

Just as a side note on this, the Guards can't prosecute for illegal reg plates at the moment. By law, the offence is supposed to be prosecuted by a ticket, but no ticket exists for it, so there is a legal lacuna. It should be easily enough to fix, but its ongoing for years now without a fix.

It's why everyone only ever gets a warning if stopped about it......

• Advertisement

BaronVon wrote: »
    Just as a side note on this, the Guards can't prosecute for illegal reg plates at the moment. By law, the offence is supposed to be prosecuted by a ticket, but no ticket exists for it, so there is a legal lacuna. It should be easily enough to fix, but its ongoing for years now without a fix.

It's why everyone only ever gets a warning if stopped about it......

I got a summons for it one time but as I changed the plates and showed them to the cop he offered no evidence in court. Never heard of an FCPN for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

In a Car with "non standard" plates the usual Garda warning is "those plates won't pass the NCT".
    Pretty sure if they could do you for them they would ticket you on the spot.
    It's all about the numbers for them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

tico1300 wrote: »

Thats very funny:pac:
    He slammed the tank down in disgust after prob spending a fortune on new coils in the hope that the ocassional starting might become more ocassional. They're sticking out like he caught his balls in the zip. The pic of it being lifted with the tractor had me in stitches too:pac:

Id be quite confident i should be able to fix whatevers wrong with that as my capo has all the same issues which ive been through on mine and others. Shame theres reg issues cos at 700 id be interested as have all the parts and diagnostics to right her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

H_Lime wrote: »
    Thats very funny:pac:
    He slammed the tank down in disgust after prob spending a fortune on new coils in the hope that the ocassional starting might become more ocassional. They're sticking out like he caught his balls in the zip. The pic of it being lifted with the tractor had me in stitches too:pac:

Id be quite confident i should be able to fix whatevers wrong with that as my capo has all the same issues which ive been through on mine and others. Shame theres reg issues cos at 700 id be interested as have all the parts and diagnostics to right her.

I'd rather the nice one that was 2200.
    The seller told me he'd let me know if the deal with the fella he was holding it for fell through.
    He got a load of calls about it apparently.

7-A93-A212-849-D-4281-9-B0-A-C0267-C14-C724.png

• Advertisement

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    7-A93-A212-849-D-4281-9-B0-A-C0267-C14-C724.png

What price would it end up after all taxes etc. were paid?
    16k euros or so????
    What ya waiting for? :pac:

What price would it end up after all taxes etc. were paid?
    16k euros or so????
    What ya waiting for? :pac:

€16k :eek:

I’d go for an 1800 wing and an S1000RR for that money and still have change :pac:

If it did hit that it’s mad money. It would look good next to your Tuono ;)

€16k :eek:

I’d go for an 1800 wing and an S1000RR for that money and still have change :pac:

If it did hit that it’s mad money. It would look good next to your Tuono ;)

I didn't buy one when I could have for 4.5k.
    Probably would want to be around 6-7k in current market for someone else in Ireland to buy one.

Suzuki RGV250 V twin engine in it.
    I might buy an RGV instead;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I didn't buy one when I could have for 4.5k.
    Probably would want to be around 6-7k in current market for someone else in Ireland to buy one.

Suzuki RGV250 V twin engine in it.
    I might buy an RGV instead;)

RGV on mad money now too. :)

Which is a Win for me :)

I'm about to send mine to UK for refurbishment.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    RGV on mad money now too. :)

Which is a Win for me :)

I'm about to send mine to UK for refurbishment.

It's only a win if you sell it. :)
    Any pics you'd ike to share?.
    You better sell it quick before the crash comes :D
    There is someone selling a few of them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

even if i was in the market for one, and even if that was a good price for one i'd be looking elsewhere with that attitude

even if i was in the market for one, and even if that was a good price for one i'd be looking elsewhere with that attitude

It’s an attitude that’s becoming all too familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

It’s an attitude that’s becoming all too familiar

He's right tho..too many timewasters out there

Just on that note..
    I got up on Sunday morning at 6am.
    Had a quick scroll through donedeal while breakfast was on.
    Saw a blade that was put up at 5.45am

Sent seller a message asking can he take a call this early.
    He texted me back so I rang him.

He gave me a good description and based on that I offered him €175 less than asking price.
    He said he'd hold out for closer to asking so I said fair enough I won't go any higher.

He got back to me 5 hours later saying can we do the deal I proposed as he was already sick of all the "f*ckin' eejits" onto him.

By the time I got to him 3.5 hours later he had been offered the full asking but we had the agreement done by then.

Checked the bike out, gave him the price we agreed

He was happy, I was happy, job done!

• Advertisement

I’ve had it myself, it’s the nature of the game. They’ll always be out there

Just seen that my brother is selling this DR. I never even knew he had it. Years since I spoke to him. Thoughts?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/28300289

Just seen that my brother is selling this DR. I never even knew he had it. Years since I spoke to him. Thoughts?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/28300289

Thoughts?
    He needs to work on his sales patter! :p

Thoughts?
    He needs to work on his sales patter! :p

He’s like myself, utterly clueless:pac:

He’s 23. My father must be proud of us both :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Yeah, apart from the minimalist photos and the lack of details in the advert it's perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems stupidly expensive for a two year old, older engined machine. Great bikes but still. A new GS starts at 17995. Your man has his bike at that same price with currency conversion done. Why would anyone in their right mind buy it at his money.

Heading into 3 years old...

Yeah, apart from the minimalist photos and the lack of details in the advert it's perfect!

My thoughts exactly. Where he is though he’ll still sell it but not at that price. Knocknaheeny is a lovely place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

He gave me a good description and based on that I offered him €175 less than asking price.
    He said he'd hold out for closer to asking so I said fair enough I won't go any higher.

As a rule of thumb, I do not talk money on the phone.
    When I've a bike up for sale, I'm crystal clear on that. Come and have a look, and then make an offer.

Like you could have said to him: There's a few bits need doing there and gone down a bit more.
    You managed to knock €175 off the price without even getting out of your seat.

I'd be like your man, the number of time wasters out there would melt your head. I'm nearly at the point where I'd rather just trade it in and take the hit than deal with dopes.

As a rule of thumb, I do not talk money on the phone.
    When I've a bike up for sale, I'm crystal clear on that. Come and have a look, and then make an offer.

Like you could have said to him: There's a few bits need doing there and gone down a bit more.
    You managed to knock €175 off the price without even getting out of your seat.

I'd be like your man, the number of time wasters out there would melt your head. I'm nearly at the point where I'd rather just trade it in and take the hit than deal with dopes.
    The bike needs absolutely nothing.
    The key to offering a price over the phone is you need to ask the right questions to the right seller.
    I got the info I needed and the proper vibes off the seller.
    There's no way I was traveling 3.5 hours to be told he wouldn't accept my offer.
    If the bike wasn't as described I wouldn't be haggling, I just wouldn't buy it.
    If it was something the seller lied to me about it would be his fault, if it was something I forgot to ask about it would be mine.
    It's a bonus when you turn up and the seller is wearing a Joey Dunlop T shirt that's 30+years old :pac:

Phoned a lad 2 weeks ago about another bike that looked stunning on donedeal.
    Took around 4 questions from me before I interrupted him and told he I won't waste anymore of his time or mine.
    I told him bike would probably sell for the money he had it up for and it would sell no problem.
    Just I'm fussy but the point is I was able to get a good picture of both bikes without seeing them in the flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

There's all kinds of time wasters though, some have no intention of buying a bike and seem to like playing donedeal wannabe, others want a brand new showroom condition beaut but they're ringing up about a fourteen year old bike for €3000 and tell you it has to be pristine because they're fussy, " so tell me if it's not immaculate and don't waste my time "

Advertisement