Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes on donedeal, ebay, adverts etc..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

lennymc wrote: »
    How does one price a bike in today's market? Is it put it up, and drop the price until people start enquiring, or randomly assign values and hope for the best. Thinking of selling the fazer.

Depends.
    Some people are away with the fairies.
    Some allow a bit for haggling.
    Some stick to their price.
    I'd come into the 3rd bracket.

If I'm buying don't be insulted if I don't offer the price advertised.
    I can't read the buyers mind on his reason on pricing.
    I'll pay whatever I am willing to pay.
    I have also bought a few bikes where I was willing to pay the asking price as they were priced reasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

How does one price a bike in today's market? Is it put it up, and drop the price until people start enquiring, or randomly assign values and hope for the best. Thinking of selling the fazer.

Stick up the details of the bike here and I'm sure some people would be able to give you an opinion on what it's worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

2007 fz6s2, standard, needs fork dust seals, rear tyre half worn, but apart from that in very good nick. Usual age related marks, it's not minty mint, but it's not a junker, no furry corrosion etc. 32k miles. taxed for the year. red.

same as this one:

zBQHkuLjaioiEObI3cteu7LVg_xkB6KPhlzE2SIhZfz-fpaOKoQfam0KNSX6wQWgxvXvc7iZZsCbZ-1ktz6QT3IhPBj3-8LrlpiILrgcmHvcRXIROpgiWB8VHvhsKWs-7NPEdfPyD2kA2myOKRU

9ad35052cecea0ff468e2f03476d9e8e385add82.jpg?fw=1200

2007 fz6s2, standard, needs fork dust seals, rear tyre half worn, but apart from that in very good nick. Usual age related marks, it's not minty mint, but it's not a junker, no furry corrosion etc. 32k miles. taxed for the year. red.

Do you want me to pm you the number of someone that's always buying bikes to see if he is interested.
    He'd sort it and shift it on for a small profit.
    He'll at least tell you what the bike is worth to him.

• Advertisement

One boxer cup unless I'm missing something.
    Even they didn't set the world on fire.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-boxercup-collection/27916884

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Seems bout right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

blade1 wrote: »
    One boxer cup unless I'm missing something.
    Even they didn't set the world on fire.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bmw-boxercup-collection/27916884

I'm seeing 3 bikes. 5k, 6.5k and 7k if buying separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

same as this one:

zBQHkuLjaioiEObI3cteu7LVg_xkB6KPhlzE2SIhZfz-fpaOKoQfam0KNSX6wQWgxvXvc7iZZsCbZ-1ktz6QT3IhPBj3-8LrlpiILrgcmHvcRXIROpgiWB8VHvhsKWs-7NPEdfPyD2kA2myOKRU

9ad35052cecea0ff468e2f03476d9e8e385add82.jpg?fw=1200

Personally I couldn't sell a bike with something like the fork seals gone. If it needs a tyre, chain, pads etc. I'd have no problem and I know the seals are a consumable technically but it's one to get done before selling imo. You'd be scaring away buyers and if the fork seals need replacing I'd be looking for pitting on the stanchions as a buyer.

zubair wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't sell a bike with something like the fork seals gone. If it needs a tyre, chain, pads etc. I'd have no problem and I know the seals are a consumable technically but it's one to get done before selling imo. You'd be scaring away buyers and if the fork seals need replacing I'd be looking for pitting on the stanchions as a buyer.

I remember talking to a fella about an oddly cheap 600rr a few years ago
    Him - Ah yea fork seals a bit torn..
    Me - any leakage on the forks? (While asking someone else the cost to do it)
    Him - nah none at all, been torn a while
    Me - f#ck that.

100% a massive put off if I'm buying a bike, if you haven't replaced something that should be replaced I instantly think you're either lazy or cba looking after your bike. It's also not super cheap to do rebuild.

I'd actually disagree on chain and pads, vital parts of a bike and shows a lack of caring and maintenance.

You're more likely to get ah but it needs x,y,z lads trying cutting ya at the knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I remember talking to a fella about an oddly cheap 600rr a few years ago
    Him - Ah yea fork seals a bit torn..
    Me - any leakage on the forks? (While asking someone else the cost to do it)
    Him - nah none at all, been torn a while
    Me - f#ck that.

100% a massive put off if I'm buying a bike, if you haven't replaced something that should be replaced I instantly think you're either lazy or cba looking after your bike. It's also not super cheap to do rebuild.

I'd actually disagree on chain and pads, vital parts of a bike and shows a lack of caring and maintenance.

You're more likely to get ah but it needs x,y,z lads trying cutting ya at the knees.

Exactly, its not a cheap fix and could be a sign of other problems, certainly a sign of possible neglect.

Don't get me wrong on the other pieces. Tired chain, pad or tyres would be a better description. But I'm not going to fork out 300 bucks to put new tyres on for the new owner, as a buyer I'd rather my tyre or pad choice than theirs anyway, so not a deal breaker for me. If it came down to that I'd put new tyres on and sell it 2000 km later. I wouldnt let any of those parts get too close to the end of their lives anyway, plenty to get home and beyond.

Here's another story, shook hands on a VFR800 a few years ago and came back a week later to pick it up and the tyre was bald down the middle with cable showing, wasn't like that when I saw it, he'd clearly done a farewell burnout on it. Nope, walked away.

Exactly, its not a cheap fix and could be a sign of other problems, certainly a sign of possible neglect.

Don't get me wrong on the other pieces. Tired chain, pad or tyres would be a better description. But I'm not going to fork out 300 bucks to put new tyres on for the new owner, as a buyer I'd rather my tyre or pad choice than theirs anyway, so not a deal breaker for me. If it came down to that I'd put new tyres on and sell it 2000 km later. I wouldnt let any of those parts get too close to the end of their lives anyway, plenty to get home and beyond.

Here's another story, shook hands on a VFR800 a few years ago and came back a week later to pick it up and the tyre was bald down the middle with cable showing, wasn't like that when I saw it, he'd clearly done a farewell burnout on it. Nope, walked away.

Ah I get ya iffy but passable I like to call it ha. If your chains dull, pads are a bit worn ill still buy it.
    Yea not a hope I'd swap an OK tire for someone if I did in all honesty it'd be whatever one I could get the cheapest.

Bits add up quick, €200-€300 tyres, €120ish for HH pads, €150ish for a chain and sprocket set, if it needed most of that I assume it'll need a full service that's the guts of €200. The bloody forks will be €200-€300 maybe more. Stuff adds up quick. If I'm doing the math in my head looking over it I'd be ready to walk.

That fazer needing fork seals would lead me straight to worst case scenarios straight away, because and yes I get its a consumable rubber, it's an expensive area to service and its a pain in the hole to do.

Haha good man I'd of done the same some chancers out there.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I'm seeing 3 bikes. 5k, 6.5k and 7k if buying separately.

Yes I see 3 bikes as well.
    Ad says boxer cup collection which I would take as meaning more than one boxer cup.
    There's only one boxer cup in the ad.

and neither would i sell a bike with the fork seals gone, unless the person was happy with that. The fazer's dust seals are corroded, cosmetically scabby but functionally working fine, as are the actual fork oil seals, with no pitting on the forks.

personally, if someone was honest in the ad, I would put more weight on that, as they are probably not trying to hide something compared with someone describing something as 'maclit. Im lucky in that i can do a lot of the work myself, so from my perspective consumables are a good bargaining point.

That fazer needing fork seals would lead me straight to worst case scenarios straight away, because and yes I get its a consumable rubber, it's an expensive area to service and its a pain in the hole to do.

but it's not fork seals, it's dust seals. they are 20 quid or so, and a pop-in part - i haven't got round to do them yet. Functionally, the forks are fine.

I spent some time working in a motorbike shop, and the amount of parts that you could see on a second hand bike that could give problems is unreal, especially on faired bikes. Struck servos in exhausts, corrosion, stuck nuts, sticking piston calipers, bodged electrics, none of which would be noticed on a test ride, and all of which could be hidden by an unscrupulous seller.

Back to the fazer, i described it honestly, i could have just as easily not said anything and hoped that if i do sell it, no one noticed (which i wouldnt do - as i said, i prefer honesty) or i could change it, and any buyer would be none the wiser that they ever needed changing.

To the other example of the cbr, had the guy replaced them, would that have made you think that the full bike was well cared for? All it would tell me is that at that particular moment in time, the bike did not need fork seals.

Fork seals are about 20 - 30 quid for a full set (oil & dust seals), 15 quid for fork oil, and about 1 - 2 hrs labour. 2-300 quid for fork seals is a shocking price.

i was talking to a friend of mine today and he reckoned the increase in bike prices could be due to brexit, and the impact of duties etc on imports from the UK. Kinda makes sense.

i was talking to a friend of mine today and he reckoned the increase in bike prices could be due to brexit, and the impact of duties etc on imports from the UK. Kinda makes sense.

It's part of it alright.
    They are gone up everywhere though.
    Should have bought one of these last summer when there was one for £4'500.
    I've enough V2 Apes as it is.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194062603040

and neither would i sell a bike with the fork seals gone, unless the person was happy with that. The fazer's dust seals are corroded, cosmetically scabby but functionally working fine, as are the actual fork oil seals, with no pitting on the forks.

personally, if someone was honest in the ad, I would put more weight on that, as they are probably not trying to hide something compared with someone describing something as 'maclit. Im lucky in that i can do a lot of the work myself, so from my perspective consumables are a good bargaining point.

It's not an attack on you. Far from it.
    Most people aren't mechanically minded, hear that and will run a country mile or try haggle ruthlessly because of it. I misread that yea it will be cheaper to do.

You missed the point he'd left the seals for so long I was being advised by a very honest mechanic to rebuild the forks, the rebuild kit alone was €150ish minus vat.
    Young fella in all honesty probably neglected the poor bike and it had scratches which to me indicate wheelies and the likes. So worst case I'd be in it potentially around what a decent one would cost but with way more headaches.

That's the chance you take on vechicles that bolts etc are seized.
    I've found somethings on my own that are honestly mind boggling how they managed to do it and not cop they did it wrong.

There's 3 levels to mechanically inclined people
    You - competent, worked in a shop
    Me - incompetent with an undeserved cockiness that ah it'll be grand I'll manage
    Others - wouldn't know how to adjust a clutch cable at the lever.

I'll be pulling my carbs(again) as I've to do a bit at the valve cover, and I'll strip ultrasonic clean and rebuild them. Loads of people would run a mile from that kind if work.
    I'm under no illusions and the likes of yourself would have it done in less than half the time it'll take me but hey its a bit of craic.

Ultimately I'm not trying to slate you or your bike, but that's how an awful lot of bike buyers view things. I'd also take into account the actual person I'm buying off after meeting them.
    Also apologies for the verbal diarrhea ha.

It's not an attack on you. Far from it.
    Most people aren't mechanically minded, hear that and will run a country mile or try haggle ruthlessly because of it. I misread that yea it will be cheaper to do.

You missed the point he'd left the seals for so long I was being advised by a very honest mechanic to rebuild the forks, the rebuild kit alone was €150ish minus vat.
    Young fella in all honesty probably neglected the poor bike and it had scratches which to me indicate wheelies and the likes. So worst case I'd be in it potentially around what a decent one would cost but with way more headaches.

That's the chance you take on vechicles that bolts etc are seized.
    I've found somethings on my own that are honestly mind boggling how they managed to do it and not cop they did it wrong.

There's 3 levels to mechanically inclined people
    You - competent, worked in a shop
    Me - incompetent with an undeserved cockiness that ah it'll be grand I'll manage
    Others - wouldn't know how to adjust a clutch cable at the lever.

I'll be pulling my carbs(again) as I've to do a bit at the valve cover, and I'll strip ultrasonic clean and rebuild them. Loads of people would run a mile from that kind if work.
    I'm under no illusions and the likes of yourself would have it done in less than half the time it'll take me but hey its a bit of craic.

Ultimately I'm not trying to slate you or your bike, but that's how an awful lot of bike buyers view things. I'd also take into account the actual person I'm buying off after meeting them.
    Also apologies for the verbal diarrhea ha.

That's fair enough, and probably something I didnt appreciate, and will take on board when i sell the bike - dust seals ordered :) no need to apologise. Healthy discussion is good. :)

<hugs all round>

• Advertisement

It's part of it alright.
    They are gone up everywhere though.
    Should have bought one of these last summer when there was one for £4'500.
    I've enough V2 Apes as it is.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194062603040

that is really nice. Being the colin edwards edition, does it come with a filler cap?

that is really nice. Being the colin edwards edition, does it come with a filler cap?

Probably not.
    Comes with a warning though...create fireball at your own risk.

Probably not.
    Comes with a warning though...create fireball at your own risk.

kinda going off topic once, but i was possibly very close to doing an edwards impression at mondello myself once. Came in after qualifying, and one of the lads asked me where my filler cap was! never did find it. must have lost it on track.

kinda going off topic once, but i was possibly very close to doing an edwards impression at mondello myself once. Came in after qualifying, and one of the lads asked me where my filler cap was! never did find it. must have lost it on track.
    Could have been nasty.

Without going into too much detail, my saddle went flying off one time.
    It spat straight back and guy behind me had to duck or it would have hit him in the head.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1410476882684162/

Some people's kids man.
    Bike was on adverts for 2500ish, under 3k anyway no length ago, had a slide is fairly rough and this joker want nearly 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Rotten.
    And you'd have no bother playing Bike Advert bingo.

Finally, touring bike? Seriously? I know you can tour on anything, but nobody is looking at that ad with 'touring bike' as the deal breaker.

:rolleyes:

Screenshot-20210503-091526.jpg
    Screenshot-20210503-091543.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

:rolleyes:

Screenshot-20210503-091526.jpg
    Screenshot-20210503-091543.jpg

That bike was imported by a guy called ‘Slampi’ on Facebook last August, the original post is still up. That bike has been advertised at least twice in the last month alone.

Advertisement