Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cards stolen from wallet, to report?

Options
  • 17-04-2020 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi. My wallet was stolen on bus. I went to the bus station and it was handed in minus my cards. They took my name and phone no. but am worried, that if they catch the person, that they may want me to press charges. I don't want to do that as I'm from a small town and my second name stands out so as to be easily identifiable. Any info appreciated...

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hi OP, your post is a bit difficult to follow but the thread title as it was was utterly meaningless so I have updated it so people might have some inkling what it is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You really need to tell your bank that the cards have been stolen, otherwise you will be stuck for the cost of anything the thieves buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Hi. My wallet was stolen on bus. I went to the bus station and it was handed in minus my cards. They took my name and phone no. but am worried, that if they catch the person, that they may want me to press charges. I don't want to do that as I'm from a small town and my second name stands out so as to be easily identifiable. Any info appreciated...

If you didn’t report it to the Gardai then it isn’t reported stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You don't 'press charges' OP. We live in this country, not the one on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Sounds like a trolling attempt

No one's going to look for your wallet. Rest easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Should have also added, definitely contact your bank though, with tap increases to €50 you could be loosing a lot of money and the banks only refund if you report the cards as stolen to Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The bus station won't be actively looking for your wallet nor would they be looking for you to press charges. Unless you're living in North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You'd have to move heaven and earth to get the Guards to investigate a stolen wallet. I wouldn't be worrying your pretty little head about it.

Here's
    a useful link if it does all go wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

May just be that the wallet inspector confiscated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭mcgragger

Define Stolen on a bus?

Were you mugged?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

antix80 wrote: »
    Sounds like a trolling attempt

No one's going to look for your wallet. Rest easy.

There’s no need for anyone to look for the wallet, they got it back. Or did you miss that nugget with your faux outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭fantastic98

Lmklad wrote: »
    If you didn’t report it to the Gardai then it isn’t reported stolen.
    Thanks. Was just worried that the bus company might contact the guards about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There’s no need for anyone to look for the wallet, they got it back. Or did you miss that nugget with your faux outrage?

good, they can dust it for prints and get their top men onto the investigation.

Yes they got it back but the cards had been taken .

loyatemu wrote: »
    good, they can dust it for prints and get their top men onto the investigation.
    Nice one.

Cancel the cards, get replacements, and get on with your life.

Lmklad wrote: »
    Should have also added, definitely contact your bank though, with tap increases to €50 you could be loosing a lot of money and the banks only refund if you report the cards as stolen to Gardai.
    Thanks . I've had the cards cancelled already. The man in the the lost property office made a phone call( probably to the bus driver but got no answer. He then asked for my phone number and said he'd ring me back. I should have asked him why but didn't.

mcgragger wrote: »
    Define Stolen on a bus?

Were you mugged?

No. I left it behind me getting off the bus by accident. Would they be able to see the robbery on cctv

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Press charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No. I left it behind me getting off the bus by accident. Would they be able to see the robbery on cctv

That's not a robbery

• Advertisement

You'd have to move heaven and earth to get the Guards to investigate a stolen wallet. I wouldn't be worrying your pretty little head about it.

Here's
    a useful link if it does all go wrong though!
    Thanks for that. Just worried bus people might want to see on their CCTV who did it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

What outrage?

It's good he got it back because now the cops can dust for fingerprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When you say robbery, what you mean is some form of the word "found"

I would say the driver saw it all. Do you not know that bus drivers have eyes in the back of their heads.
    Its a pre requisite:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

When you say robbery, what you mean is some form of the word "found"

Google Theft by Finding and quit being such a jerk to the OP.

Pkiernan wrote: »

Ok thats from the finders point of view.

The OP left it behind (allegedly) - Is he the victim of a theft?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pkiernan wrote: »

None of what happens fits the definition of a robbery.

None of what happens fits the definition of a robbery.

Thought it was a robbery when someone steals my bank card . The wallet was left behind empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

that they may want me to press charges. I don't want to do that as I'm from a small town and my second name stands out so as to be easily identifiable. Any info appreciated...

Sorry OP but are you Ron Burgandy? Kind of a big deal? Do you own many leather bound books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The bus company couldn't give a fluck and won't report anything.....

If you requested the footage under the new gdpr they could furnish you with all the footage you were present in but everyone else face would be blurred.

If you request footage to be kept for the Gardai to investigate they will do so but you would need to go give a statement.

Highly unlikely they'd ever chase it up though.

Advertisement