Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Crash repairs

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd be going back to them and asking for it to be swapped like for like.
    this wasn't a warranty issue with them having a duty to replace like with like, this was someone bringing a bike with a damaged fork and being asked to replace it. it's the customer's duty to request a like for like swap - probably at a considerable premium as getting the right forks in the right colour may be expensive and/or slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

this wasn't a warranty issue with them having a duty to replace like with like, this was someone bringing a bike with a damaged fork and being asked to replace it. it's the customer's duty to request a like for like swap - probably at a considerable premium as getting the right forks in the right colour may be expensive and/or slow.

I'd assume a damaged fork would be replaced like for like and if not I'd certainly want to know why it wasn't.

Getting the correct fork should have been the route taken regardless of cost or time, now op has paid for works and presumably put in his damages claim and is left worse off than he was prior to the incident.

Perhaps the fork was put on at the request of the OP but clearly he's already having an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

I just think the fork is a bit odd. It seems a bit bumpy on concrete slabbed roads but that might be to do with me usually wearing gloves and not doing so over the past few days. I need the bike for work so I’m happy to have anything really. And yes while I know I should have gone down the insurance route, at the end of the day I had no serious injuries and I just wanted my bike back tbh. By the sounds of it, Giant forks are a bit tricky to source (not to mention all the more harder because of the whole pandemic thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd assume a damaged fork would be replaced like for like and if not I'd certainly want to know why it wasn't.

Getting the correct fork should have been the route taken regardless of cost or time, now op has paid for works and presumably put in his damages claim and is left worse off than he was prior to the incident.

Perhaps the fork was put on at the request of the OP but clearly he's already having an issue.

You'll very rarely get an original rigid fork as bikes change so much and so quickly. It's also not a common spare part so no one can stock one for every bike they sell, hence most shops will keep one generic steel one. Imagine a shop having to carry a spare fork for each bike it sold, how many would never be used!

The replacement fork is fine and adequate for the job and intended use, the issue here is simply that it looks different and nothing else, functionality is fine.

I would suggest putting on a headset cover such as one from Lizard Skins or similar to prevent water ingress.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d expect them to Replace it with a fork of the same material. Changing from Alu to steel is wrong

A garage wouldn’t stick a different colour bumber on a car. Sorry we couldn’t get a colour bumber so we stuck on a black plastic one...

Op, make a claim for a new bike from the person who hit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d expect them to Replace it with a fork of the same material. Changing from Alu to steel is wrong

A garage wouldn’t stick a different colour bumber on a car. Sorry we couldn’t get a colour bumber so we stuck on a black plastic one...

Sorry but why is it wrong to change to steel? The bumper comparison makes no sense, if the OP wants they can have the fork sprayed like a car owner and a bumper but I see no point and more so no benefit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ted1 wrote: »
    Not really unless the OP asked, once the fork fits and works, the material is a secondary concern. Plenty of chepap alu bikes are sold with steel forks.
    Some would, depends what you asked for, they might offer you a wrong coloured one to get past the roadworthyness test and an additional cost to respray it if necessary
    Probably whave been done in the first place but I fear it might be too late if they ahve already agreed and the work is done.

To the OP though, there appears to be nothing wrong with the work done. i'd lather the thing in grease but other than that, it will do the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

comparing a bumper, which is very specific to a car (i.e. you can't fit a corolla bumper on a 323) to a fork is a false equivalence.
    also, plenty of bikes have a fork which is a different colour to the frame. i have two, for example. i think the colour is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

comparing a bumper, which is very specific to a car (i.e. you can't fit a corolla bumper on a 323) to a fork is a false equivalence.

I meant body colour number to a plain old black one. Anyway let’s move on

Advertisement