Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is 10 years dead

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭yagan

I never understood the lambo fuss, did people think their meat slaughtered and packaged itself?

When he started on radio half the population was under 25 years of age but you wouldn't know there was a youth culture by the national media.

Whoever he really was was probably consumed by the counterculture shockjock persona he made his living from.

My one exposure to him was at a beat on the street in Kilkenny where he appeared on top of one of the castle towers, the crowds immediate response was "jump you f**ker". It was funny and tragic because to us he already felt like old hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP Gerry.

Gone but not forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I remember he got booed at the Stones in 2003 in the Point. All the celebs took their seats kinda one by one and all got cheered apart from him. Think it was in jest though. Very funny.

Mad that he'd nearly be 70 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Balls deep in Bibi Baskin

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It would have been some craic if he'd been around for tubsgate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember a documentary on the Feile a few years ago, they played a clip of a holy man who went down to spread the word of God, horrified by the debauchery he witnessed talking to Gerry, and Gerry responding with faux indignation, it was really funny.

Found it.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭yagan

Reading this thread gives me an appreciation for what he was in the context of the media landscape in which he began his career.

I personally never liked him, but in retrospect he's far less the misery merchant Joe Duffy is and what ray D'Arcy has become.

He became a hypocrite for berating drug addicts while being a user himself, but he was a hypocrite in a society that criminalised raped females for seeking a termination and adults for non heterosexual intimacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,898 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

could never really take to the fella as a DJ…. He had enthusiasm, bluster, energy the ability to engage and whatever. But it seemed very forced and false. Some people just love ‘energy’ and ‘bluster’ as a personality trait in others but he I dunno….didn’t do it for me….

• Registered Users Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Packrat

Look at the date on what you quoted. Thread is 4 years old.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So he's 14 years dead?

Oliver Callan also said he was 10 years dead today, I'm nearly sure. Or perhaps he just said it was his anniversary?

Advertisement