Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is 10 years dead

Options
  • 14-04-2020 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

One of the greatest Irish men of living memory died 10 years ago this month, how time flies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

You mean world's biggest hypocrite dies of massive coronary caused by years of coke abuse died 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Long_Wave wrote: »
    One of the greatest Irish men of living memory died 10 years ago this month, how time flies

I've nothing against Gerry Ryan...... but how in fcuks name was he "one of the greatest Irish men of living memory"?
    Surely this is a wind up.

Gerry was an affible talk radio host and a poor, unsuccessful TV host. Nice fella, by all accounts, but what did he do to deserve your accolades?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Was anyone else here shown that anti drugs video he did in the early 90s in secondary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For me the greatest in living memory was my father, and for most people the greatest Irish men for them is someone they know and not Gerry Ryan.
    Let's be real about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

One of the greatest radio men we've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Jesus the 10 years ****ing flew.

If asked I would have said he is dead 3 or 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

You mean world's biggest hypocrite dies of massive coronary caused by years of coke abuse died 10 years ago.

Oooooh shock edgy first reply! Hope it gets the thanks you hope for to make up for being a horrible miserable cynic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I thought the furore surrounding his use of cocaine was unfair on his family and somewhat unjustified and hypocritical. Cocaine use is common enough in broadcasting, journalism and music circles, even in RTE. Ryan never portrayed himself as a paragon of virtue in regard to his own lifestyle. Gareth O' Callaghan, on the other hand, is a preachy, self-righteous, pompous little p---k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Whatever you think about him, Radio has not been able to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

how so?

he was just someone on TV and radio who preached about anti drugs but was a raging coke head himself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVWtLx8ax9k

no loss for me personally.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    I thought the furore surrounding his use of cocaine was unfair on his family and somewhat unjustified and hypocritical.

Hmm dunno. I was a massive fan of G Ryan but it being an open secret that himself and others were caning the bronson for years in a tax payer funded institution was a big story and deserved the attention it got. Particularly after RTE covered it up.

Its a ****e drug anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

He was so great and irish man that he refused to take a 10% paycut in 2009.
    And that show Ryantown was desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

He was no Joe Duffy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

What time is mass on at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

He was his own man which particularly in the 80's was unique in Ireland. He was leader never a follower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The hypocrit stuff didn't begin with the drug taking. It was always there.

The first section of his morning show was musing over newspaper headlines (anyone can do this but he was paid big money somehow). I recall one day where he mumbled his way through an article about the price of bread going up and he let out this despondent sigh at the end as though this was a problem for everyone and he was in it with us.

That is the rule of all the RTÉ bigbucks charlatans - pretend you're in it with the rest of them, and then charge handsomely for it.

Ryan might by dead but there are plenty of his likes still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

He was so great and irish man that he refused to take a 10% paycut in 2009.

In fairness, he couldn't afford to. Not with his lavish lifestyle anyway. I wanna tell you something, try it some time, etc. A lot is made of his cocaine use (and to be fair, his handkerchief probably had a street value of a grand), but every other aspect of his life was based around self-indulgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Behave. I thought wumming/trolling was against the rules.

topper75 wrote: »
    The first section of his morning show was musing over newspaper headlines (anyone can do this but he was paid big money somehow). I recall one day where he mumbled his way through an article about the price of bread going up and he let out this despondent sigh at the end as though this was a problem for everyone and he was in it with us.

I love how he pissed so many people off with trivial stuff like this. Getting upset because he talked about bread. He was so marmite.

Gerry doing the morning papers shtick (usually hungover and always on the fly) was the best part of any morning. Sipping his tea into the mic, getting "Brenda down there", the immature double entendres etc.

After Pavorotti died he played clips of Nessun Dorma all morning at random intervals. Like in the middle of guest speaking. Oh, and the vibrator story. Great stuff.

Great entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I cant say Id be too bothered whether he was a hypocrite or not.

I remember the Jerry Ryan morning show and it was good but noticeably dropped off in quality as the years progressed. Probably as his substance abuse got worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

In fairness, he couldn't afford to. Not with his lavish lifestyle anyway. I wanna tell you something, try it some time, etc. A lot is made of his cocaine use (and to be fair, his handkerchief probably had a street value of a grand), but every other aspect of his life was based around self-indulgence.

Including his interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

A stupid man who didn’t appreciate what he had and ended up throwing everything including his life away.

I met him out one night and he was fairly rough and still holding up the bar when I left at 3am. Was surprised to hear him sounding fresh as a daisy on the radio 6 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The Nal wrote: »
    Getting upset because he talked about bread. He was so marmite.

I fear you missed the point. I'm not picking on him for talking about bread. He sighed about the bread going up in price as though it were a problem for him.

The only other alternative to that cynical take was that he was sighing on our behalf as it were or in some kind of remote sympathy. Think what you will of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I fear you missed the point. I'm not picking on him for talking about bread. He sighed about the bread going up in price as though it were a problem for him.

You’d be moaning no matter what way he reported it.

The only other alternative to that cynical take was that he was sighing on our behalf as it were or in some kind of remote sympathy. Think what you will of that.

Well he doesn't have to be in a dole queue to realise that the price of bread impacts some people. I don't think that made him a fake or whatever if thats what you're saying? It was his job to report on this stuff. Like Graham Norton saying "we" when doing the Eurovision for the UK. Being paid by the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A great man in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I always think his trajectory closely followed the events of the Celtic Tiger. Up until about 2003/4 he was alright but then there was a definite change in him during the boom. His wages skyrocketed up to almost 700k a year, he started dressing in bankers pin stripe suits with pink shirts and he put on a load of weight. It was at that time his Sunday piss ups in the Four Seasons hotel became legendary and of course we now know too that he was horsing the coke into himself at the same time. To me his personality definitely changed during those years and he definitely became more brash.

Then when the bust happened his sense of entitlement came to the fore when he was shooting his mouth off about not taking a pay cut while the economy was collapsing all around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

OU812 wrote: »
    Whatever you think about him, Radio has not been able to replace him.

Lottie is twice the man he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Nal wrote: »
    Gerry doing the morning papers shtick (usually hungover and always on the fly) was the best part of any morning.

Your mornings must have been utterly horrific.

Advertisement