Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's a pity we don't get any info on where these cases are happening. Are they all just randomly happening in the community, are there outbreaks in schools, particular events, pubs, gatherings or what? And why does Kerry currently have such a high rate relative to the rest of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kerry 4th highest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But, all that really matters is hospitalizations and that seems to be declining? Cases are really not all that interesting unless they lead to hospitalizations, which is primarily the unvaccinated arc these days, that is, unvaccinated are more likely to be hospitalized.

• Advertisement

From Echo Live

Leitrim, Waterford, Carlow, Louth, Laois, Longford, Westmeath, Donegal, Cork, and Kerry all have a 14-day-incidence of more than 1,000 per 100,000 cases

Anyone know of any plans to have a walk in vaccine centre in Kerry anytime soon? is it still healthcare staff, and vulnerable adults that are being jabbed in Tralee at the moment?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Its only over 50's by appointment at the moment. You can book with a pharmacy or the HSE. I don't think they are doing any walk-ins this side of Christmas.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The vaccine centres will be using mostly Moderna over the next few weeks. Whenever it's opened up to the over 40s, my preference would be for Moderna, if possible, to get the 'mix & match' benefit as I had Pfizer for the first two shots. But if the local vaccination centre is not doing any walk-ins, then maybe better to go the GP/Pharmacy route and get jabbed ASAP as one could be waiting weeks for an appointment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

My pharmacist gave use Pfizer jabs. We'd originally had the AZ. 3 days on, no side effects bar slight sore arms from the injections.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There will be a walk-in booster vaccination in Tralee on Saturday, 18th December, for over 50's only!  from 8.30am to 4.30pm

Walk-in booster vaccination in Tralee this Saturday | RadioKerry.ie

A Killarney woman who is lying in bed at home fighting Covid, following a short hospital stay has shared her experience of the virus to urge those who are not vaccinated.

Lotte Lyne believes that the vaccine has saved her life. She has spent two weeks battling the virus and said that it was like “nothing she has never experienced” 

"I have never been so sick in my life … initially I had a fever and I was really really cold and nauseous. It is not like the flu although people like to say it is like a flu it is nothing like it. I can guaranteed the unpredictability of it.” 

Lotte first began to experience symptoms around November 27and on December 1 got a positive PRC test. For the first few days I had pain, nausea, and no sense of smell but by day six they were gone but my oxygen levels were low and I was struggling to breathe.

As her condition continued to deteriorate she was forced to call an ambulance but she was advised she could stay at home. However, her condition continued to get worse and in the midst of Storm Barra last week she was rushed to hospital by ambulance and received oxygen which stabilised the situation. 

Thankfully she did not have to go to ICU but her two days in hospital showed her how deadly the virus can be. As she has underlying conditions including Asthma and Bronchiectasis she has been isolating as much as possible since March 2020.

She had no idea where she could have picked up the virus as she only went shopping and to the Killarney Christmas parade but this is why the virus can be so dangerous. It also spread across the house with only one of the five of them not getting it. It also spread to her daughter’s house where her grandchildren also contracted the virus. 

"It is very contagious, no-body can protect themselves fully,” 

However, vaccines can help as they it helped her. 

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Didn't feel great yesterday but hey its bitter cold out.

booked a PCR test last night and there were plenty of slots available for today

Hopefully that is a good sign and covid level is reducing in Tralee area.

Test completed and waiting on result, home antigen test is negative but might as well be safe than sorry before the weekend.

Anniversary mass for my Dad who passed away around this time last year is on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

"underlying conditions including Asthma and Bronchiectasis"

Ah well, I wouldn't be starting from here..... hope your better now.

Bronchiectasis is a chronic condition where the walls of the bronchi are thickened from inflammation and infection.

People with bronchiectasis have periodic flare-ups of breathing difficulties, called exacerbations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭embraer170

What’s the cheapest place in Kerry to get an antigen test with a result (for travel)?

I think Ryle's pharmacy in Ashe St, Tralee do them for travel. No idea of cost though, sorry. Otherwise its the Bons Hospital in Tralee.

All I am hearing is people can't get appointments for PCR tests. What happens if someone can't get one but has a positive antigen test? I know someone (not a close contact) who is in this situation and they haven't managed to get any appointment. Seems like the test centres are totally overwhelmed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

They just have to keep looking, apparently available appointments are released at midnight each night but the system usually crashes so you have to keep trying. Doctors have some reserved for them so worth a try and unused doctor slots are released throughout the day so it's a bit hit and miss.

I have been reading this for the past few days on a very active forum I am on for parents about the difficulty of getting tests, up to 5 days from trying to book to result!

By the time some people manage to get a test they may not be positive anymore!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

Can happen!

I suppose as long as they stay home and don't go anywhere after a positive antigen, then at least if they are not unwell, they can restrict their movements until their antigen tests are negative. Then hopefully get a pcr test to confirm. The person I know said the site keeps crashing too and they can't even check for appointments.

Thanks that’s where I ended up doing it.

€39. Ireland is definitely at the expensive end of the scale for the price of antigen tests.

Exactly. We're getting to the point where blanket PCR testing is a pointless and expensive waste of time as covid is so rife out there.

If you're symptomatic, just assume you have it and act accordingly.

If you're a close contact AND produce a positive antigen test, just assume you have it and act accordingly.

I think people assume they HAVE to get a PCR test, that its somehow a requirement, but is it? I know you get a covid cert when you get a PCR positive test and it is needed for some employment etc, but if people literally can't get the PCR test, then testing on antigen tests until negative is going to have to be enough for now. If someone is sick, they are not going to want to be sat up at midnight refreshing their browsers to find an appointment! I have heard that GP surgeries aren't even answering the phone or have it off the hook now! Most weren't even back open until today.

Antigen testing is only useful if you're an asymptomatic close contact. If you're symptomatic, you have to assume you have covid. If a symptomatic individual produces a negative antigen test, there is a significant possibility that they still have covid. This is why NEPHT was against antigen testing for so long, they were afraid people wouldn't use it appropriately and it would give them a false sense of confidence.

I guess unvaccinated individuals might want proof of having had covid for travel purposes etc, but I wouldn't be too worried about pandering to their needs. A standard doctor's note should surely cover work requirements if one can't get a PCR test. Assuming you can get through to your GP!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Anyone here experience "Long Covid" symptoms

• Advertisement

Anyone know somewhere in Kerry selling antigen tests?

All sold out in Dunnes and Lidl this evening.

Advertisement