Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching remotely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I want to record Maths questions on the ipad. When I screen record with audio so I can explain as I go, the noise of the pencil as I write on the screen is just too loud. Any suggestions?

Do you have access to Teams? Use whiteboard thinge and screen record?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

jrmb wrote: »
    It might help you to use an external microphone. Do you have a hands-free kit or Bluetooth headphones?

No, no hands free kit or Bluetooth headphones.
    Do you have access to Teams? Use whiteboard thinge and screen record?

No, no access to Teams.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

I think I'll have to record the writing using screen record without audio first, then go back and add voice over using iMovie. It would just be a lot simpler to talk as I'm doing it. Adding the explanation afterwards is proving a lot more time consuming and requires a lot more planning. Sounds simple but it's proving tricky to get right.

Not to mention how many recordings have to be deleted and redone because of constant interruptions and background conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

I think I'll have to record the writing using screen record without audio first, then go back and add voice over using iMovie.
    That's a good idea, but I think the problem is that the built-in microphone is sensitive to the friction from the pencil. You might just need to record the audio simultaneously on a separate device (like your phone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I want to record Maths questions on the ipad. When I screen record with audio so I can explain as I go, the noise of the pencil as I write on the screen is just too loud. Any suggestions?

I ordered an ‘arm’ to hold my phone, on line, hasn’t come yet though. If you had one you could just write on paper and record audio at same time.
    https://m.lightinthebox.com/p/360-degree-rotating-universal-flexible-long-arms-mobile-phone-holder-mount-lazy-clip-on-holder-stand-hands-free_p5070503.html?currency=EUR&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=1_45&country_code=ie&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=400246735837&adword_kw=&adword_pos=&adword_pl=&adword_net=u&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1463064549_8288759496_85725006139_pla-656278395970&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgrqdhMPr6AIVwu7tCh0N5gWSEAQYAyABEgLBuPD_BwE

Yeah, I looked at these, and they seem like a nice easy solution in general. But my living situation right now is so cramped that I'm basically living out of a box bedroom with everything I own crammed in (don't ask! I'm in the middle of a protracted probate house purchase now affected by the lockdown), and I literally have to work sitting on the edge of the bed and writing on my lap. I actually don't think I could make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

Record the audio on your phone the same time as you are doing video on iPad. Then import and overwrite the audio track on iMovie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

combat14 wrote: »
    are schools going to provide teachers with work laptops to facilitate continued remote teaching and learning? my 11 year old laptop is about to pack up lol

I wish, mine of a similar vintage must be turned on for 20-30 mins before you can use it, internet impossible...takes forever to load a page, must store everything in the cloud (actually works well there) and use a friends PC and wi-fi to get it to the students !!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Has anyone suggestions as how to upload a video faster?

I’ve recorded a video on my phone 15min long and I’ve been trying to upload to google drive for 2 hours. It’s barely moving along.

Is there a better way of doing this? Sorry bit clueless when it comes to these things. I don’t have a laptop to record on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Teach30 wrote: »

I’ve recorded a video on my phone 15min long and I’ve been trying to upload to google drive for 2 hours. It’s barely moving along.

Is there a better way of doing this? Sorry bit clueless when it comes to these things. I don’t have a laptop to record on either.
    What's the size of the file? Did you record the video in HD? If the resolution of the pictures is too high, the size of the file will be huge. If this is the case, you can downscale it, so you won't have to record it again if you're happy with the content.

Separately, are you using mobile data or Wifi to upload it? Is the connection good generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Avery

If you have perchance have an Apple Mac Laptop with Zoom installed, you can share your iPad screen to it while recording your meeting alone with or without your face in the corner - depending on whether you turn video on or off.

• Advertisement

jrmb wrote: »
    What's the size of the file? Did you record the video in HD? If the resolution of the pictures is too high, the size of the file will be huge. If this is the case, you can downscale it, so you won't have to record it again if you're happy with the content.

Separately, are you using mobile data or Wifi to upload it? Is the connection good generally?

I don’t know what size it is or if it’s HD sorry. I’m using mobile data now on 3G. Home internet failed to upload it this is slightly better.

This isn’t really feasible long term pity because it’s a nice video and it’s easy to teach this way.

Teach30 wrote: »

I'm having similar issues with anything over 6 minutes, and I live in Dublin with Virgin broadband. I just did a speed test and got 9.1 mbps download and 5.9 mbps upload.

Any instructions on how to downscale video files? I have had to divide videos up so far.

I'm having similar issues with anything over 6 minutes, and I live in Dublin with Virgin broadband. I just did a speed test and got 9.1 mbps download and 5.9 mbps upload.

Any instructions on how to downscale video files? I have had to divide videos up so far.

I tested mine and it’s at 0.3 mbps upload and 1.4mbps download.
    I’m assuming I should just give up..! Pity it was much more enjoyable than just forwarding notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’d just upload shorter videos. Break them down. I haven’t uploaded anything longer than 6 minutes and they go up pretty fast.

I’d just upload shorter videos. Break them down. I haven’t uploaded anything longer than 6 minutes and they go up pretty fast.

I suppose that will have to do. It takes at least 3 videos to do one LC Maths question though. Very awkward finding a natural break point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I suppose that will have to do. It takes at least 3 videos to do one LC Maths question though. Very awkward finding a natural break point too.

I've been doing the same. But they'll manage. I found that I could attach the videos I made on my phone to FB messenger and send them to myself and then I could download them instantly from FB on my laptop and then I put them on Teams. I know that sounds cumbersome, but I record all the videos first and then attach them to a message and it only takes a minute or two to send to Messenger and downloading to laptop is as long as it would typically take to download a file, a few seconds.

Uploading them from my phone to the Teams app was painfully slow, so while there's a few extra steps this way, it's far faster and I haven't thrown the phone or laptop at a wall yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

In your phone settings (iPhone/iPad) you can reduce the quality the video is recording at. Alternatively I send mine to my MacBook and use QuickTime to export them at minimum quality

I’m lucky tho, no broadband issues here. It’s better than school !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Maybe write out all formulae first, any andditional sketches, have calculation me done etc so that when you are actually recording the time this takes is minimised?

I haven’t done any question yet that I could get done in 1 video with max time 10 mins.

I also use a site called Molloy Maths, brilliant videos on it that I refer the students to. No need for every maths teacher in the country to do kill ourselves when they are already there.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Maybe write out all formulae first, any additional sketches, have calculation me done etc so that when you are actually recording the time this takes is minimised?

I haven’t done any question yet that I could get done in 1 video with max time 10 mins.

I also use a site called Molloy Maths, brilliant videos on it that I refer the students to. No need for every maths teacher in the country to do kill ourselves when they are already there.

It is already written out. 10-12 mins is the usual time, but that is often requiring 3 videos to upload. Students claim that website's videos are too confusing - I had tried using it and also ucd Maths support ones. They say it's not enough. And they're adults!

In your phone settings (iPhone/iPad) you can reduce the quality the video is recording at. Alternatively I send mine to my MacBook and use QuickTime to export them at minimum quality

I’m lucky tho, no broadband issues here. It’s better than school !

Any specific ideas of how to do this on ipad? Thanks.

My broadband is giving 7-12 mbps download and 4-6 mbps upload at the moment. I don't really understand these figures but they do not seem anything close to advertised speeds for Virgin and while watching video is not too bad, uploading is painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

Any specific ideas of how to do this on ipad? Thanks.

You might be able to download a 'video compressor' app from the app store? I was able to get one on my phone (android) to shrink the videos. Could be tedious if you've a lot of videos, but it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Hi all. I was having exactly the same problem with LC HL maths, massive videos...with full explainations could be tipping 40 minutes for a question! I am pretty good with tech so went looking at solutions, I'd recommend Microsoft Stream, it's easy to use, it uploads very quickly, if you are teaching multiple classes you can add videos to multiple channels.

It looks very similar to YouTube and streams for the kids in a similar way. They can comment and you can see how many people have viewed it. I downloaded the app on my phone and have a little grip suspended above my desk (a mobile arm and a nice amount of duct tape), they can hear me and watch me do the maths. Have whiteboard too! It's very handy. Maybe 4-5 minutes to upload and process a half an hour video. The other benefit is you simply share a URL, they can just see the video then.

For those using Teams, as I am, you can add a channel (I have three for some classes) with the videos in them. My 6th years wanted the ones I was making for 5th year just to have a watch for revision.

I'm happy to answer any questions or explain how to use it to anyone, no point us all running through all the apps and figuring this stuff out, we've enough to be doing ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

This is a copy and paste of a question I posted on the wrong thread as I didn't know this one existed. Sorry mods, mea culpa. Would love some feedback,thanks.
    I've a question here on methodology if any of ye could shed some light?

I teach LC English and at the moment we're revising the Shakespeare play. If we were in class I'd be giving them some aspect to revise each night or an exam question to plan and next day in class they would work on that aspect in groups, generally streamlined by me in terms of specific questions to focus on.They'reid stream hons group that need spoon feeding and are very shy and reserved in discussions.

Ok, so here we are trying to do this online. I still set aspects to revise, release a set of questions as usual, get them to post photos of their work and then give a pre recorded video lesson /lecture on that aspect. Sometimes using screencastify, sometimes just a plain video.

Could /should that work be done by live video? Is there any way I could have them working in small groups via live video? Or is that just too difficult to manage? Especially given that they're not at all vocal.

Anyone used to my posts will know that I'm all about decent working conditions for the teacher and not vying to be teacher of the year. But if someone knows a more efficient, more interesting way to do this type of work that is also manageable, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

acequion wrote: »
    This is a copy and paste of a question I posted on the wrong thread as I didn't know this one existed. Sorry mods, mea culpa. Would love some feedback,thanks.

Hey, I'm an English teacherb ut I haven't done anything like that before. Does it have to be via video? I've had students combine to do group work on shared documents and on padlet. You could set up a dedicated padlet board for them?the class notebook on Microsoft teams might work but I haven't used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

What have engagement rates from students and classes been like for people this week? Before Easter I had 60-70%ish across 1st, 2nd and 3rd year. This week its more like 40-50% return on work so far.

At 6th year students are working more on finishing up their History RSR'S so its harder to guage but most are engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

jayo76 wrote: »
    What have engagement rates from students and classes been like for people this week? Before Easter I had 60-70%ish across 1st, 2nd and 3rd year. This week its more like 40-50% return on work so far.

At 6th year students are working more on finishing up their History RSR'S so its harder to guage but most are engaging.

Similar here. Definitely slower this week than before Easter.

Management have started asking questions now about how we can engage them more and asking us what we think will engage them more and to share ideas....

So far, I’ve discovered that easy tasks are engaging them more than difficult ones, and if there’s any reading involved they won’t do it. Now, to find the management speak for that without suggesting they are being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Hey, I'm an English teacherb ut I haven't done anything like that before. Does it have to be via video? I've had students combine to do group work on shared documents and on padlet. You could set up a dedicated padlet board for them?the class notebook on Microsoft teams might work but I haven't used it.

I've never heard of padlet but it sounds interesting, could you tell me more? Thanks a lot. :)Our platform is Google so not sure if a shared feature exists. And no it doesn't have to be via video and as I explained they're a reserved bunch. And they are getting the work done but it would be nice to mix it up a bit so that's why I'm anxious to know more and experiment more. This is an excellent thread, looking forward to reading through it.

On a related but side note I gave my 5th French an assignment to write their views on online learning. I'd taught them all the relevant vocab and they're a very bright bunch and the replies were interesting. Most are quite enjoying it with some saying they like working at their own pace without the constant structuring of school. And their work since the closure is excellent. The silver lining of this whole thing might be the creation of a generation of capable independent learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

H

Engagement is still the same or better with us as we sent out a report at Easter letting parents know what they at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

acequion wrote: »
    I've never heard of padlet but it sounds interesting, could you tell me more? Thanks a lot. :)Our platform is Google so not sure if a shared feature exists. And no it doesn't have to be via video and as I explained they're a reserved bunch. And they are getting the work done but it would be nice to mix it up a bit so that's why I'm anxious to know more and experiment more. This is an excellent thread, looking forward to reading through it.

On a related but side note I gave my 5th French an assignment to write their views on online learning. I'd taught them all the relevant vocab and they're a very bright bunch and the replies were interesting. Most are quite enjoying it with some saying they like working at their own pace without the constant structuring of school. And their work since the closure is excellent. The silver lining of this whole thing might be the creation of a generation of capable independent learners.

Look at this video on YouTube it givesa pretty good outline of some of Padlet's functionality

https://youtu.be/X3Uf6pmpiG8

It's very easy for both students and teachers to use andvery phone friendly (important for my students as many are accessing online resources via smartphones)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Engagement has dropped except for first and sixth years (now I’ve no second years). Maths is better than music right now anyways

Advertisement