Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American justice system in Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Go on?

Cut off the hand of a thief? Cut off the ****** of a rapist?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Cut off the hand of a thief? Cut off the ****** of a rapist?

Pub talk surely?

Iran gets an awful bad press at the best of times.

Do you have a link outlining any such activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I thought I was being controversial? How is irish crime being "cut" exactly?

I don't agree with anything you have written here, sorry. The country does not have the public funds to invest in more prisons, that is why they won't, the money is not there so instead the government panders with dealing with the states criminals. Even our most popular political party (allegedly as per 2020 election) wants to eradicate our special criminal court to enable their own underworld, do not get me started there.

Drugs need to be legalised to eradicate the black market they supply. However this will lead to escalation in other crimes such as extortion and robbery ( for example, this list is not exhaustive btw, free roaming criminals have a remarkable tenacity when it comes to wealth creation). The criminals need to make their money somewhere. Legalise drugs so we can all do better ones, then lock up the criminals when they divert to other crime. It is quite a simple formula really and will make our streets and communities safer places to live in.

I agree. In the evening when the criminals have finished work they should have the option to re-educate themselves or get treatment for any learning difficulties they have. All the best criminals know how to use the criminal justice system to their advantage.

Hard labour never did anyone any harm, the guttersnipes should be made sweat their crimes away. Punishment will eradicate crime, you cannot rehabilitate criminals by massaging their backs and telling them they are societies victims? Millions of Irish people are born into poverty and social depravation and get on with their lives legally and in tandem with the rest of the country, you are disrespecting their efforts to get ahead by pandering to **** who deal drugs, steal cars and terrorise communities. Criminals need to be worked hard, imprisoned and then educated how to not get locked up again.

Do you reckon the Mafia Shqiptare are shítting bricks at the concept of getting 3 months for fueling the inner city with gear?

there is plenty of money available for prisons.
    we only need about 1 or 2, which is very affordable. couple that with only jailing offenders who are a threat to society and who keep committing crime, and we have a very workable and affordable system.
    hard labour is not going to happen no matter how much you want it. i suspect it actually did plenty of people harm also.
    By privatising the criminal justice system you would allow for a better resourced workforce and more facilities. Homeless junckies could be offered more robust treatments giving them a better chance of getting their lives at least moving in a more positive direction. But this is impossible under the current revolving door we are operating. More prison space would offer junckies better opportunities to genuinely rehabilitate. That may not be the solution but it would be a start.

Currently this problem is being " addressed" by paying off some bullshighting consultant to tell the Dept of Justice that such remedies are "unquantifiable". In other words it is cheaper for civil servants to pay experts to write reports stating that more prisons would not benefit the system rather than actually building more prisons. The system itself is dysfunctional and leads to corruption, at all levels.

As long as all the Solicitors, Barristers and Judges are getting paid the politicians will not bat an eyelid. They don't have to because they have a "report" from some expert advising against the investment.... In the meantime your girlfriends Volkswagon Golf spends its' last 4 hours being driven at high speed around a field in west Finglas before being burnt to a crisp. Happy Days. She can look forward to an increase in her insurance premium after she loses her no claims bonus. Lovely stuff.

this is highly unlikely to be correct, i would expect, i'm afraid.
    privatizing the justice system is not going to lead to a better resourced anything, or more facilities as it would not be financially viable.
    private investors want a serious return on investment, there is no way they will get that by spending large amounts of money on resourcing prisons, because it's not profitable.
    the only reason the US system is profitable is because of serious amounts of public funding and a revolving door system, the exact thing we are trying to end.
    i have not heard of one successful example of a system such as you propose in use, i suspect because it's not deliverable, if it was then it would have been tried and be currently working successfully.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

there is plenty of money available for prisons.
    we only need about 1 or 2, which is very affordable. couple that with only jailing offenders who are a threat to society and who keep committing crime, and we have a very workable and affordable system.
    hard labour is not going to happen no matter how much you want it. i suspect it actually did plenty of people harm also.

When you say 1or 2 new prisons what sort of capacity are you talking?

this is highly unlikely to be correct, i would expect, i'm afraid.
    privatizing the justice system is not going to lead to a better resourced anything, or more facilities as it would not be financially viable.
    private investors want a serious return on investment, there is no way they will get that by spending large amounts of money on resourcing prisons, because it's not profitable.
    the only reason the US system is profitable is because of serious amounts of public funding and a revolving door system, the exact thing we are trying to end.
    i have not heard of one successful example of a system such as you propose in use, i suspect because it's not deliverable, if it was then it would have been tried and be currently working successfully.

If you lease the service to the department of justice you can make a profit. You have already stated that money is not an issue? The model is to outsource the prison system to private ownership. Very doable although I am not in the humour to be drawing you up any business plans.

Your final paragraph is not making any sense, when has an alternative prison procurement system been explored in Ireland? Don't waste a brain cell dreaming up an answer here either, there never has been. I was being facetious, my apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Pub talk surely?

Iran gets an awful bad press at the best of times.

Do you have a link outlining any such activity?

Not entirely. The second was wishful thinking - the rape victim is probably more likely to get in trouble.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-middle-east-50179741

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

When you say 1or 2 new prisons what sort of capacity are you talking?

If you lease the service to the department of justice you can make a profit. You have already stated that money is not an issue? The model is to outsource the prison system to private ownership. Very doable although I am not in the humour to be drawing you up any business plans.

Your final paragraph is not making any sense, when has an alternative prison procurement system been explored in Ireland? Don't waste a brain cell dreaming up an answer here either, there never has been. I was being facetious, my apologies.

oh i would expect that it's doable if you wish to throw away money to suit an ideology, sure. if you wish to spend money wisely however, then i would expect that it would not be advisable, and would likely not be good value for money.
    i would expect that the tax payer would absolutely be taken advantage of with such a deal, a government wanting something badly and a private company wishing to get the best return they can do not seem to mix very well.
    why would we explore an alternative prison procurement system when we already know what actually works and what doesn't? what doesn't work doesn't suddenly start working because shur it's ireland and we are different begorra.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

oh i would expect that it's doable if you wish to throw away money to suit an ideology, sure. if you wish to spend money wisely however, then i would expect that it would not be advisable, and would likely not be good value for money.
    i would expect that the tax payer would absolutely be taken advantage of with such a deal, a government wanting something badly and a private company wishing to get the best return they can do not seem to mix very well.
    why would we explore an alternative prison procurement system when we already know what actually works and what doesn't? what doesn't work doesn't suddenly start working because shur it's ireland and we are different begorra.

I hear the Department of Justice are looking for new civil servants in their executive. Give them a shout, sure see if it is doable, it won't cost the tax payer a penny. Begorrah.

This is one seriously Walter Mitty thread but very entertaining

Advertisement