Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Survey: Are you aware of NeedToCharge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

DrPhilG wrote: »
    But I bet you have written more than one note with your number on it, whether one got lost, got tatty etc.

;)

The notepad I got for free from some conference and I think the pen came from a Pub.

I don't really see a need to replace that method of leaving contact info,

I only rent EVs though, so my number plate changes quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

redcup342 wrote: »
    I only rent EVs though, so my number plate changes quite a lot.

Interestingly I just sent a batch of stuff to a guy in the Netherlands in the same position. I think he's a reviewer, so he regularly has different cars and travels over Europe a lot.

He does use the system, but with a standard QR code on the disc rather than a personalised one. Then when he changes the car, he just changes the reg number he has linked to his account.

He doesn't like just leaving a number for 2 reasons. 1, he doesn't like leaving his number on display and 2, he travels across Europe quite a bit and not many will be keen on calling an international number to ask when the charger will be available.

So NTC works well for him.

The notepad I got for free from some conference and I think the pen came from a Pub.

I wasn't referring to the cost of the method, more the effort required. I used to use a note but invariably they get dirty or tattered, lost etc. So I'd find myself doing a new note fairly regularly, or just forgetting.

NeedToCharge is a one off permanent implementation so ideal for a feckless lazy sod like myself.

Different situation for you though, given the frequent car changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I got messages couple times via this app, and experience is poor. One time I rushed to car to move it, but whoever messaged me already left. Other time I could not move car quickly and get some passive aggressive response.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's no "need to refuel" app for petrol.

If I'm charging, it's because I need to be and I was there first. No app/message is going to change that. I have two pages of EV apps on my phone already so I wont be adding another which is not necessary. I'll be in my car (or briefly in the shop) at a fast charger/supercharger/hpc, or if it's a destination charger it's first come first served. My car can take 8-10-20 hours depending on the kW available. If it's a 3kW station for instance it will take over 24 hours. Do you expect me to deal with messages for 24 hours? Nope.

• Advertisement

Interestingly I just sent a batch of stuff to a guy in the Netherlands in the same position. I think he's a reviewer, so he regularly has different cars and travels over Europe a lot.

He does use the system, but with a standard QR code on the disc rather than a personalised one. Then when he changes the car, he just changes the reg number he has linked to his account.

He doesn't like just leaving a number for 2 reasons. 1, he doesn't like leaving his number on display and 2, he travels across Europe quite a bit and not many will be keen on calling an international number to ask when the charger will be available.

So NTC works well for him.

Germans wouldn't really go for scanning a QR Code and following a link (if they even have a decent mobile signal)

I'm sure if someone really needed it they would send a message, far more reliable than mobile data.

Anyways piece of paper on the dash works for me, I don't think many people even bother doing that.

My number is all over the place on ads when I've been selling stuff online etc.

Pretty sure your Dutch contact has his number on Marktplaats.nl as well so I don't see why he'd be worried.

Sometimes I'm just parked and I don't want to be bothered, like going for a dump or something, in that case I'd leave the notebook in the glovebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

ideas such as this should be incorporated into the apps by the charge point providers. standalone app just isn't going to work as it won't have mass adoption for some of the reasons already listed here.

shame n all that but reinforcements of how great it is etc etc just isn't going to charge their minds but only harden their stance with maybe others following suit.

September1 wrote: »
    One time I rushed to car to move it, but whoever messaged me already left.

Why did you rush to the car?

ELM327 wrote: »
    There's no "need to refuel" app for petrol.

Petrol refuelling doesn't take hours.

If I'm charging, it's because I need to be and I was there first. No app/message is going to change that.
    No, but an app would enable someone else to find out that you're going to be 5 minutes, 2 hours, all day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Why did you rush to the car?

Because I could and someone needed a charge. It was a slow charger in a little town, so they did not have much alternatives.

• Advertisement

September1 wrote: »
    Because I could and someone needed a charge. It was a slow charger in a little town, so they did not have much alternatives.

But did you not message back to tell them? You said that they had gone when you arrived which I assumed meant that you just went back to the car when you got the message, rather than replying. Maybe I picked you up wrong.

Petrol refuelling doesn't take hours.

No, but an app would enable someone else to find out that you're going to be 5 minutes, 2 hours, all day etc.
    Neither does fast charging.
    Destination charging/slow charging is first come first served. I move my car when I am done, and that's it.

No interest in communicating with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Well in fairness McGiver, the main reason ChargeBump never took off here is because it didn't work here.

And of the 150+ laminated discs I've posted out to individuals:
    England - 79
    Ireland - 34
    N Ireland - 9
    Scotland - 8
    Wales - 2

Netherlands - 14
    Belgium - 2
    Denmark - 2
    Germany - 1

So given the population, Ireland is doing OK. And it's not just because I'm in Ireland, I'm active on UK Facebook pages too.

* yes I'm a nerd and I counted.
    Oh right. As in the app didn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

NeedToCharge is a one off permanent implementation so ideal for a feckless lazy sod like myself.
    This exactly was the reason I used it. Don't need to do anything anymore. Put it there and that's it.

McGiver wrote: »
    Oh right. As in the app didn't work?

Yeah ChargeBump didn't work. At least not properly.

If you registered with (for example) 162-DL-123 using hyphens, then I come along and try to send a request but I use spaces 162 DL 123 then it wouldn't work. Or if I leave out spaces and hyphens and just go 162DL123 it wouldn't work.

So basically I'd have to either guess the same format that you used, or try up to 3 different options til I got it right. Some people wouldn't realise the issue and just give up. So it was not much use.

Not sure why it copes better with UK plates, they still have a gap but only 1 in the middle rather than 3 sections like Irish ones.

With needtocharge the app/site automatically makes the format the same by omitting gaps and hyphens and reducing all plates to numbers and letters only. So it works basically anywhere that uses numbers and letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The latest installment of the "push this app down our throats"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Just informing people about what it is and does. Nobody is forcing anyone to use it.

I really don't get why you're so vocally opposed to the app. I know you have no intention of using it, in your own words you "have no interest in communicating with people". But why oppose advertising of the app for those who do have an interest, then they can make their own mind up.

It's free, created and promoted for purely altruistic reasons and has the potential to occasionally make someone's life easier. And the more widely it is known of, the more often those occasions will be. So well done to the EV TV Ireland lads for spreading the word.

For years EV drivers have said "leave a note with your number" and I don't recall too many people complaining about that. This app just does the same thing only easier.

I really don't get why you're so vocally opposed to the app.

It's free, created and promoted for purely altruistic reasons and has the potential to occasionally make someone's life easier. And the more widely it is known of, the more often those occasions will be. So well done to the EV TV Ireland lads for spreading the word.

For years EV drivers have said "leave a note with your number" and I don't recall too many people complaining about that. This app just does the same thing only easier.

It's filling a need that isn't there.
    Honestly I don't want another app, I have enough Apps.

The only time I leave my number is when I'm topping up and might not get back before the end of the charging session. Other than that I don't want people contacting me to ask when I'll be back.

For Rapid charging I don't usually leave the car anyway

I feel like the Jehovahs are at my front door :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Tried to use need to charge yesterday. Was in town queuing for the market (charging while I queued) and when I came back a Leaf 40 was plugged in behind me, but not charging. Wanted to use the app to tell them they're not charging, but they weren't on it. Ah well, might not have needed to charge and could of just been one of those who plugs in because EV parking is free when you charge.

Honestly I don't want another app, I have enough Apps.
    Don't install the app then. Its also web based.

It's filling a need that isn't there.

The only time I leave my number is when I'm topping up and might not get back before the end of the charging session.
    You say its a need that isn't there, then describe the need? ;)

I feel like the Jehovahs are at my front door :)
    "Do you have a moment to talk about our charging station saviour"?
    jw.jpg

On a serious note, I don't think I'm cramming the app down anyone's throat. This thread is about the app, it raised questions and I responded to them. It's not like I'm popping up in a thread about tyre choices or night rate tariffs and jumping in with a needtocharge promo!

Advertisement