Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Smart TV 4S 43" 301.90e

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Hey all. Been monitoring this thread as I'm on the lookout for a 4K TV around this size. Very interested in this.

Just wondering how it might compare to this Hisense one?

https://www.amazon.de/Hisense-H43BE7000-Fernseher-Smart-TV-Standard/dp/B07RC6B2J8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&language=en_GB&qid=1590511645&refinements=p_36%3A20000-50000%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A9590314031%7C9590315031%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A2711619031&rnid=497868011&s=ce-de&sr=1-2

Anyone with a better understanding of TVs able to cast an eye over it?

If you want Android TV (which is a must have for me, and which the Xiaomi has) then see this TCL at a similar price/size on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B07SQYTLZW/?ref=r4m_udw_tv4_ds_md&th=1&psc=1

Unfortunately Android TV enabled sets are few and far between, in Ireland particularly. Sony do them, but are obviously on the pricey side, so you're left with TCL or Xiaomi, Sharp did them for a while but don't any more AFAIK.

The issue with a lot of others, such as LG or Samsung is that their app selection is awful. You can sideload any app you want on an Android TV enabled set (particularly handy for the kind of apps you'd want on a telly, ahem). Anyway, that's my perspective, some people are happy enough with a Netflix and/or RTE player app, I prefer a bit more of a selection..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone figured out how to power it off or on again using Alexa or Google?

Can't find CEC settings, so unsure if that's even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

McMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone figured out how to power it off or on again using Alexa or Google?

Can't find CEC settings, so unsure if that's even possible?

Have you added the TV as a device in the Google home app? If you have then I know you can definitely turn it off by asking Google assistant. Not sure on turning it on but probably you can.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ive one of these coming from amazon.de, €313.60 delivered.

Hoping its not delivered in the same state as shams abov, thats a sickener !!

DopeTech wrote: »
    Have you added the TV as a device in the Google home app? If you have then I know you can definitely turn it off by asking Google assistant. Not sure on turning it on but probably you can.

Yeah have it added alright, it's on Google home but Alexa doesn't find it.

• Advertisement

Yeah have it added alright, it's on Google home but Alexa doesn't find it.

To be clear Google home finds it, but when it's powered off (and I don't mean at the socket) you cannot do anything with it as it says the TV is currently not online. Although once you turn the TV on using the remote it will let you adjust volume etc, but that's about it. Can't seem to turn it off or on with the voice, and can't cast to it unless I manually turn the telly on off standby.

Alexa doesn't find the TV at all searching for it.

Not taking any points off the review though, as I'm sure there's some minor tweaks here or there could sort them and I love a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

I just got mine today very happy with it. But cann't get the Mi remote app to work with from my phone. Anyone get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JageMeister

Just put my order through for one there, too good of an offer to pass up. How long did it take for everyone else's to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Aw that's crap luck, had they not it packaged right or what?

On further inspection, there was a huge hole in the cardboard box on the far side and the end of the box. It looks like someone made the hole to make it easier to lift but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

oodles19 wrote: »
    If you want Android TV (which is a must have for me, and which the Xiaomi has) then see this TCL at a similar price/size on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B07SQYTLZW/?ref=r4m_udw_tv4_ds_md&th=1&psc=1

Unfortunately Android TV enabled sets are few and far between, in Ireland particularly. Sony do them, but are obviously on the pricey side, so you're left with TCL or Xiaomi, Sharp did them for a while but don't any more AFAIK.

The issue with a lot of others, such as LG or Samsung is that their app selection is awful. You can sideload any app you want on an Android TV enabled set (particularly handy for the kind of apps you'd want on a telly, ahem). Anyway, that's my perspective, some people are happy enough with a Netflix and/or RTE player app, I prefer a bit more of a selection..

Thanks for reply.

To be honest the smart TV features aren't really a big deal for me as it'll 99% used for Xbox gaming. 43" would be max size too.

So just really wondering how the Xaomi model and Hisense one stack up alongside eachother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

sham69 wrote: »
    On further inspection, there was a huge hole in the cardboard box on the far side and the end of the box. It looks like someone made the hole to make it easier to lift but I could be wrong.

Let us know how the return gos. out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.

To be honest the smart TV features aren't really a big deal for me as it'll 99% used for Xbox gaming. 43" would be max size too.

So just really wondering how the Xaomi model and Hisense one stack up alongside eachother.

I would have preferred an Android TV but as previous poster said they are few and far between. I wasn't initially in the market for a TV until my three year old Philips died suddenly last week.

Philips had apps but was Linux based AFAIK. Only used the apps for Amazon Prime. Apps wise TV was awful.

Hisense I picked up is Roku based & has 1000+ apps & channels including YouTube, Netflix, Deezer, Disney+, Prime, All4, Plex and more.

Big fan of Xiaomi but not regretting going for the Hisense so far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've a Nvidia Shield TV (Android TV) and I've just gotten a new LG with WebOS and the LG actually has more apps then Android TV!

Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Now TV, Plex, Apple TV, Youtube, Youtube Kids, RTE Player, Sky Store, Google Store, Spotify, Rakuten TV, All 4.

If you set the TV to UK (and use some other steps we aren't allowed to discuss here), you can add to the above: BBC Player, BBC News, BBC Sports, ITV Hub, All4, Channel 5 Player, UKTV Player, CBS Catchup channel, Brit Box.

The only apps missing that my Android TV has is Kodi and TG4 player.

By comparison Android TV, doesn't have Apple TV, Now TV and half a dozen players above are a pain to install as you need to sideload them. The out of box selection on a FireTV 4k is even better!

Don't get me wrong, I love my Shield TV, but it almost never gets used now that I've gotten a LG TV. Just use it for Chromecast, it is one step from losing it's place as I need an extra HDMI port.

Just FYI if folks are considering different TV platforms and sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Can I ask if the LG has Google store can Kodi not be installed from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

bk wrote: »
    I've a Nvidia Shield TV (Android TV) and I've just gotten a new LG with WebOS and the LG actually has more apps then Android TV!

Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Now TV, Plex, Apple TV, Youtube, Youtube Kids, RTE Player, Sky Store, Google Store, Spotify, Rakuten TV, All 4.

If you set the TV to UK (and use some other steps we aren't allowed to discuss here), you can add to the above: BBC Player, BBC News, BBC Sports, ITV Hub, All4, Channel 5 Player, UKTV Player, CBS Catchup channel, Brit Box.

The only apps missing that my Android TV has is Kodi and TG4 player.

By comparison Android TV, doesn't have Apple TV, Now TV and half a dozen players above are a pain to install as you need to sideload them. The out of box selection on a FireTV 4k is even better!

Don't get me wrong, I love my Shield TV, but it almost never gets used now that I've gotten a LG TV. Just use it for Chromecast, it is one step from losing it's place as I need an extra HDMI port.

Just FYI if folks are considering different TV platforms and sticks.

I haven't encountered any issues sideloading any of the apps you mentioned, and if there is, built in Chromecast is always there as a backup.

I don't think we're allowed to mention the apps I *really* want on my telly, but they have all the content of the apps you've listed and more, and they're certainly not installable on anything other than an Android TV...

I haven't encountered any issues sideloading any of the apps you mentioned, and if there is, built in Chromecast is always there as a backup.

I don't think we're allowed to mention the apps I *really* want on my telly, but they have all the content of the apps you've listed and more, and they're certainly not installable on anything other than an Android TV...
    I agree there's no comparison between LG and Android TV. You can get most apps from the play store on the box including now TV that above was mentioned that you couldn't. Other apps can be sideloaded but it really depends on how much you want to do with the box.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

robbe wrote: »
    Can I ask if the LG has Google store can Kodi not be installed from there?

Sorry, the "Google Store" on LG TV's is for renting and buying TV and Movies, not the Google app store.

My LG TV has Airplay 2, which is the same as Chromecast for Apple users.

I've had lots of troubles with side loading over the years. It can work, but is troublesome with updates and far from family friendly.
    DopeTech wrote: »
    I agree there's no comparison between LG and Android TV. You can get most apps from the play store on the box including now TV that above was mentioned that you couldn't. Other apps can be sideloaded but it really depends on how much you want to do with the box.

Now TV isn't available for Shield TV or any Android TV, unless you are sideloading the mobile Andorid app, yuck. At least with some of the others, you can sideload the FireTV apps, which are more designed for TV type use.

Don't get me wrong, I get the geeky fun of side loading apps, but the out of box experience of LG TV's really is fantastic and probably better then Android TV for the majority of people. It is much more then just ok if you just want "Netflix", it really is most apps, most people want.

I say this as a person with all the following:
    - LG WebOS TV
    - nVidia Shield TV
    - Fire TV 4k
    - Now TV puck
    - Chromecast

bk wrote: »
    Now TV isn't available for Shield TV or any Android TV,

I stand corrected, I could have sworn it was but the more I think about it I only ever casted it from my phone to the android tv.

My TV arrived today. It's the 32" model. All in one peace despite there being no covering on the screen. Perhaps it's normal for warehouse used product. For the price I'm very happy.

brightkane wrote: »
    Let us know how the return gos. out of curiosity.

well they finally got back to me (well only 24 hours in fairness)
    They have asked for photos (which I already sent)
    They replied in spanish (even though I contacted them in English and am english speaking)
    Also, they said if photo's arent sent in 24-48 hours then the return will be invalid.
    Whatever that means.
    I don't hold out much hope here, given what the first reply says...
    No sign of the second tv, seems to be stuck in uk since last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kennyt

well they finally got back to me (well only 24 hours in fairness)
    They have asked for photos (which I already sent)
    They replied in spanish (even though I contacted them in English and am english speaking)
    Also, they said if photo's arent sent in 24-48 hours then the return will be invalid.
    Whatever that means.
    I don't hold out much hope here, given what the first reply says...
    No sign of the second tv, seems to be stuck in uk since last Thursday.

Were you in contact with Patricia? She always got back to me in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday, I'm guessing it will be Monday now, cheers for review, sounds great

Thanks

kennyt wrote: »
    Were you in contact with Patricia? She always got back to me in English.

No, some guy got back to me today and it sounds a lot better. Sounds like they are claiming against the courier. He said once the TV is collected and returned they will refund the money. Just holding out for the second one now which hasn't been updated since the 20th, seems to be stuck in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Thinking of getting one of these for the mother. Two questions.

Is there a satellite and saorview tuner?
    Is it relatively user friendly, are satellite and terrestrial channels in the same channel list?

mossy464 wrote: »

Is it relatively user friendly, are satellite and terrestrial channels in the same channel list?

It has both tuners. Can't comment on the list though as I don't use either. Interface is very user friendly though so I would imagine that's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

mossy464 wrote: »

Read my review on the 32" a few pages back, it's an absolute pain to change from Saorview to satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Iv just purchased the 55" model €12 delivery €449.99 some one said this TV was not available to purchase as a 55" ?

Anyone figured out how to cast to the TV without having to turn the TV on?

IE when you turn the TV off (standby) it seems to go offline, which means you cannot cast to it, or control it with your voice unless you actually turn it on with the remote.

My only gripe really so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Truckermal wrote: »
    Any suggestions for getting the 55" shipped?
    Yes it possible i did it

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kennyt

Anyone know where you can buy a replacement remote control for the TV?

• Advertisement

kennyt wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can buy a replacement remote control for the TV?

I would guess the firestick or a similar Bluetooth remote will suit. You could even install an app on your phone to do the job.

Advertisement