Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Boards survive the Covid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

is boards a commercial enterprise ?
    Boards has given so much to the people of Ireland it should be commended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Bit of thanks hunting that adds very little really. Do you think everyone loves the companies that provide entertainment?

Not thanks hunting at all. No one is forcing you to use Boards. Normally people stop using what they don’t like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Can we stick a "do not resuscitate banner" on boards?

Just let it go.

Mods are doing more damage.

One of my biggest disappointments on this website was when I became a mod and found out there was no great mod conspiracy theory after all.

Boards has survived for a long time and will continue to do so. You’ll be grand. Think of how unhappy your life could be without it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Long may it survive. I’m genuinely surprised that they’re struggling for ad revenues given the current boom in online shopping.

I often find the ads that are being served are totally irrelevant to me. Start selling some local ad space to Irish online business directly and perhaps you’ll have more success.

faceman wrote: »
    One of my biggest disappointments on this website was when I became a mod and found out there was no great mod conspiracy theory after all.

Boards has survived for a long time and will continue to do so. You’ll be grand. Thing of you unhappy your life could be without it?

I don’t think anyone ever thought there was a conspiracy. Inept and self serving maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If it were announced that the sitr was on its last legs i'd probably pay a subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

42 was already on its last legs before Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

AutoTuning wrote: »
    Long may it survive. I’m genuinely surprised that they’re struggling for ad revenues given the current boom in online shopping.

I often find the ads that are being served are totally irrelevant to me. Start selling some local ad space to Irish online business directly and perhaps you’ll have more success.
    A lot of irish businesses are not going online. They are going under.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don’t think anyone ever thought there was a conspiracy. Inept and self serving maybe.

Hahahahahaha

Ok.....

A lot of irish businesses are not going online. They are going under.

Plenty are going online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

If it were announced that the sitr was on its last legs i'd probably pay a subscription

Same. Boards has done a lot for me over the years. And for free. I wouldn’t mind giving back.

Same. Boards has done a lot for me over the years. And for free. I wouldn’t mind giving back.

You’ve had the opportunity to subscribe for years.

It’s not very obvious though.
    Should be made easier & be able to accept ApplePay & GooglePay etc for ease of mobile payment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

Should be made easier & be able to accept ApplePay & GooglePay etc for ease of mobile payment.

That costs money

Deshawn wrote: »
    That costs money

If it generates more income then it makes money. Sales-Cost of Sales = Profit. There’s always some degree of overhead in sales.

It’s like all those shops that used to refuse to take cards, forgetting there are also overheads and processing fees to bank cash, and especially large volumes of coins, which many of them happily accepted.

You should open your Christmas presents or something

faceman wrote: »
    You should open your Christmas presents or something

Done and dusted. Was a fairly obvious and simple remark anyway, and having subscribed in the past myself I found the reply about being able to use mobile payments a valid and useful one. You’d probably need to climb down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Take a chill pill people, this site could run off an old pentium Packard bell box and a dozen lines of php, it ain’t going nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

begbysback wrote: »
    Take a chill pill people, this site could run off an old pentium Packard bell box and a dozen lines of php, it ain’t going nowhere.

That's what I was thinking

I heard they just add a gigabyte of ram when the site crashes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Not thanks hunting at all. No one is forcing you to use Boards. Normally people stop using what they don’t like.

You're mixing up the admin of the site with the site itself.

• Advertisement

Done and dusted. Was a fairly obvious and simple remark anyway, and having subscribed in the past myself I found the reply about being able to use mobile payments a valid and useful one. You’d probably need to climb down a bit.

Christmas hugs Reg, Christmas hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I agree. Many of us end up with unused phone credit.

One of the things that is really hurting the site is a a poor mobile experience in this day and age you should have all of the regular site functionality available on mobile devices.

The site needs a complete revamp with a a mobile first experience.

One of the things that is really hurting the site is a a poor mobile experience in this day and age you should have all of the regular site functionality available on mobile devices.

The site needs a complete revamp with a a mobile first experience.

Years ago I asked why Boards didn't have an app. The reply suggested that Boards new far more about these thing & knew how to provide a mobile experience. I still think that an app could be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If it generates more income then it makes money. Sales-Cost of Sales = Profit. There’s always some degree of overhead in sales.

It’s like all those shops that used to refuse to take cards, forgetting there are also overheads and processing fees to bank cash, and especially large volumes of coins, which many of them happily accepted.

I doubt very much any shop will accept large volumes of coin unless they need for their business. Like you say they would have to pay to bank it, so that would not make sense. By law they only have to accept a maximum of 50 coins in any legal tender transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Discodog wrote: »
    Years ago I asked why Boards didn't have an app. The reply suggested that Boards new far more about these thing & knew how to provide a mobile experience. I still think that an app could be a good idea.

They did have an app but it was a disaster.

They did have an app but it was a disaster.

When? I don't remember it .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Discodog wrote: »
    When? I don't remember it .

It's still there but not supported any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That's what I was thinking

I heard they just add a gigabyte of ram when the site crashes

It's actually one of these that goes in

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/sram/1511491

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

Some sort of a bitcoin mining rig powered by"thanks" on posts

Advertisement