Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Boards survive the Covid?

Options
  • 05-04-2020 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

The group owner of boards.ie, Journal Media, has implemented pay cuts across the company of between 5 and 20% as a result of Covid-19. It has also closed fora.ie and scaled back the42.ie.

Ironically, posts are massively increased on boards in comparison with previous years due to the coronavirus crisis but unfortunately advertising revenue has fallen through the floor in the same period. The site is creaking under the strain with timeouts and 502 errors most evenings. The owners are unlikely to want to throw more money at a loss making entity so is the site doomed if this situation continues?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0401/1127818-journal-media/

Comments

I heard there is a supernova imminent, we're all doomed and other apocalyptic scenarios you can dream up.

Boards will endure just fine.

If we’re judging companies on how they’ve helped through it then it hasn’t a hope, and you wouldn’t be sorry to see it. Have went out of their way to make this as difficult as possible for posters.

/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's probably carrying the load for other parts of their company.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There was talk of a pay cut for the mods

From next week it's coke or hookers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

but unfortunately advertising revenue has fallen through the floor in the same period.

How do you know this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The hamsters will just have to get by on fewer of whatever it is hamsters eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The reasoning behind the Purge thread makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

How do you know this?

Since when do serial re-regers have to know what they stick up on Boards is true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Judging by the way some of the AH threads have gone cannibalistic, maybe, maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

How do you know this?

It is stated in the linked RTÉ article
    In a statement, Journal Media said that it, like all news and media organisations, has seen a dramatic and unprecedented drop in advertising revenue as a result of the crisis.

The statement continued: "This sudden decline and the uncertainty of when commercial activity will return to normal levels is a real threat to the existence of the news service which TheJournal.ie provides free to the public.
    0lddog wrote: »
    Since when do serial re-regers have to know what they stick up on Boards is true ?

I'm not a serial re-regger by the way. I'm raising a valid point that the longer this situation continues the greater the threat to the existence of this site. It has never made a profit as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

It will be interesting to see which businesses return in the aftermath.

Advertising revenue is down in all media outlets, car sales have plummeted.

Boards has survived through a lot over the years, I hope it continues to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The hamsters will just have to get by on fewer of whatever it is hamsters eat

ham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If Boards does go under them the few re-regs are ****ed, they might actually have to leave the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Boards does go under them the few re-regs are ****ed, they might actually have to leave the house

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Am I correct in thinking Board's only source of income is (a) advertising and (b) subscribers?
    Advertising revenue has fallen off a cliff as companies are cutting spending to survive the quarantines and I can't imagine anybody is paying money to subscribe to this site except a few boomers. I'd be interested to have a look at Board's accounting books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I doubt it'll go but funding will be cut, everyone uses adblovker nowadays anyway. I'd go off to Reddit where you can actually down vote loons and conspiracy theorist like you find in the covid19 forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I doubt it'll go but funding will be cut, everyone uses adblovker nowadays anyway. I'd go off to Reddit where you can actually down vote loons and conspiracy theorist like you find in the covid19 forums.

Boards has really gone to the dogs when you have to go to Reddit to get away from those loons.

coinop wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking Board's only source of income is (a) advertising and (b) subscribers?
    Advertising revenue has fallen off a cliff as companies are cutting spending to survive the quarantines and I can't imagine anybody is paying money to subscribe to this site except a few boomers. I'd be interested to have a look at Board's accounting books.

They also have the Talk To forums but companies are deserting it at an alarming rate. Sky are the latest to leave after AIB, eir, Tesco, Three, Virgin and Vodafone. I posted about this previously here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112534478&postcount=89

The site was dying before this catastrophe so people are free to believe it is going to remain fine but the evidence suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Well it survived the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1918 so I can't see why not.

Of course back then it was a weekly newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They also have the Talk To forums but companies are deserting it at an alarming rate. Sky are the latest to leave after AIB, eir, Tesco, Three, Virgin and Vodafone. I posted about this previously here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112534478&postcount=89

The site was dying before this catastrophe so people are free to believe it is going to remain fine but the evidence suggests otherwise.

The site is dying true, but it is doing well out of the covid crisis tbf.

If it goes, it won't be covid that will have killed it but the collapse in traffic after the 2013 hack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm sure it will

I think she's dying folks. The place has been falling apart for several weeks now.

It looks like, yet again, Gilly was right. It seems the current owners have had enough and there is now one last desperate roll of the dice to save the site. However proposing subscriptions to be surrounded by malcontent cranks, I'm not sure I can see that going well.

Let it not be said that I am not doing my bit so here it my tip for Odhran and the new gang:

Boards.ie - Now ye're racist!

Catchy, I think.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115700658

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Hopefully they will become less reliant on the Amighty GooG who would eat up a massive amount of advertising revenue.

I'll disable my adbocker and click on a bunch of ads over the next few weeks to make sure a pack of ham can be bought for the hamsters

For the contempt they’ve treated their user base with for years, it’s a bit rich to be coming with the hand out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Can't understand why it shouldn't, selling data is big business nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

For the contempt they’ve treated their user base with for years, it’s a bit rich to be coming with the hand out now.

We get it. You hate boards. Why not just leave for good?

We get it. You hate boards. Why not just leave for good?

Bit of thanks hunting that adds very little really. Do you think everyone loves the companies that provide entertainment?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Can we stick a "do not resuscitate banner" on boards?

Just let it go.

Mods are doing more damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

not as it currently is no..scaled back maybe ...

Advertisement