Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Not so far AFAIK. Maybe waiting to establish exactly who was involved...

Why only one person sactioned. GAA caused alot of touble last year with parties i n every parish after county finals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

frank8211 wrote: »
    Why only one person sactioned. GAA caused alot of touble last year with parties i n every parish after county finals

The GAA havent sanctioned anyone yet. Dublin county board suspended the manager.

Its being investigated at the moment so further suspensions or fines might be on the way when they're concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Bizarre comparison

Funny enough, it is exactly the comparison I thought of also.
    Dublin are making farrell the fall guy because they dont want the players banned. It kinda stinks to be honest, farrell wasnt even there. They lose all credibility when the actual guilty parties havent been given any punishment. It would be quite funny if the gaa dished out bans to the true guilty parties, with dublins ban on farrell the only thing keeping him away from games..

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Not a word said about the 100s at traveller funerals and weddings over the past few weeks.

Typical Ireland.

Huh?

Are they entering a team in the All Ireland or is this some what about Sinn Fein going to funerals and the lads in meat factories and students having parties post?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Bizarre comparison

How so? Utd did the exact same thing as Dublin did yesterday in suspending their manager before any official ruling is made in the hopes of getting ahead of it.

• Advertisement

How so? Utd did the exact same thing as Dublin did yesterday in suspending their manager before any official ruling is made in the hopes of getting ahead of it.

And their move failed on all levels, in that he still got a longer ban by the FA and was prosecuted.

Similarly, I'd imagine it's likely there will be some move against players photographed. It will be difficult for the powers that be, the organisation and the Gardai, to simply ignore high profile people flaunting the law on camera.

This one will run for a while yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Dublin are making farrell the fall guy because they dont want the players banned. It kinda stinks to be honest, farrell wasnt even there. They lose all credibility when the actual guilty parties havent been given any punishment. It would be quite funny if the gaa dished out bans to the true guilty parties, with dublins ban on farrell the only thing keeping him away from games..

In this case Farrell is literally taking one for the team.

The GAA will have to make an example of the players and anyone else that was there.
    Most especially after what happened last year and fact this came to light just as they were laying down the law about not going back to group training before the set dates.

There are bigger things at play here now (pardon the pun).
    We have scandals every other day coming out about vaccine rollout, ones going on trips abroad, we have feckers evading the quarantine hotels, etc.

And at the same time the government and authorities are telling people that they will have to knuckle down, stay in some form of lockdown for months to come.

The lockdowns only work when you get buyin from the majority of the population.
    That buyin is seeping away with every story that yet another prominent connected person or persons are giving the proverbial two fingers to the rules.

Not sure United and Cantona is the situation you want here. United suspended him for the rest of the season. The FA increased that to run until September and FIFA said it included all football activity so he couldn't train, be loaned out or play in pre season. On top of that he was given a custodial sentence reduced to community service on appeal.

I think the Dublin county board might regret imposing their own 12 weeks if the GAA come in and give him their own sanction on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

dobman88 wrote: »
    Not sure United and Cantona is the situation you want here. United suspended him for the rest of the season. The FA increased that to run until September and FIFA said it included all football activity so he couldn't train, be loaned out or play in pre season. On top of that he was given a custodial sentence reduced to community service on appeal.

I think the Dublin county board might regret imposing their own 12 weeks if the GAA come in and give him their own sanction on top of it.

That's the exact point i'm making. GAA HQ will more than likely impose a heftier punishment despite Dublin GAA trying to outflank them. Similar to Utd and the FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Prob plenty of pitches all over the country where you can train undetected

The faster the season starts the better can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

You would think that they must have been doing it at the same venue for a couple of weeks if a photographer was waiting for them on the morning.

And as for the players turning up to it in their sponsored cars - sweet God they were fierce innocent and half the country stuck at home out walking/running/cycling at every hour of the day and night.

Compared to the carry out in the Coombe and the Beacon, which is actually important stuff, Dublin GAA have tried to kill the story as quick as they could but the brand is damaged somewhat as it will be thrown at them throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Michael_Res1

You can't ban the players because they aren't professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

You can't ban the players because they aren't professional.

It'd be news to the GAA after 100+ years banning players for varying periods of time for various misdemeanours that they now can't do so because they aren't professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well you're not letting it go anyway.

Rosita wrote: »
    It'd be news to the GAA after 100+ years banning players for varying periods of time for various misdemeanours that they now can't do so because they aren't professional.

I am saying for this specific incident they can't ban the players because they aren't professionals. In contrast, professional sporting bodies have banned players for breaching covid rules.

Reckon we could be back to All Ireland finals in September

Hurling championship run off the same way as last year with the Football getting a backdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I am saying for this specific incident they can't ban the players because they aren't professionals. In contrast, professional sporting bodies have banned players for breaching covid rules.

Why cant you? They breached government covid restrictions, rules the GAA had in place about training at the time so yes you can punish the players as they breached those rules. That they arent professional players is irrelevant

Why cant you? They breached government covid restrictions, rules the GAA had in place about training at the time so yes you can punish the players as they breached those rules. That they arent professional players is irrelevant

I'd have no qualms with the players being banned, fined or whatever if they where professionals. There are plenty of examples of this happening in professional sports. I'd think we'd all agree that the time and effort County players put in should be classified as professional; consequently, they should be paid. So, unless these are paid professionals, I don't think the gaa has a case for banning them. I Can't think of any other reason.

I'd have no qualms with the players being banned, fined or whatever if they where professionals. There are plenty of examples of this happening in professional sports. I'd think we'd all agree that the time and effort County players put in should be classified as professional; consequently, they should be paid. So, unless these are paid professionals, I don't think the gaa has a case for banning them. I Can't think of any other reason.

Sure what's the point in having rules in place at all if there's no repercussions.

Unless I'm missing something, you dont think they should be banned just because they aren't professional. So, have rules in place, break those rules, carry on. That doesnt make any sense.

Sure what's the point in having rules in place at all if there's no repercussions.

Unless I'm missing something, you dont think they should be banned just because they aren't professional. So, have rules in place, break those rules, carry on. That doesnt make any sense.

They are not professional players so they can't be treated like professional players. Cork and down players where found to have broken covid rules but nothing was done to them.

• Advertisement

They are not professional players so they can't be treated like professional players. Cork and down players where found to have broken covid rules but nothing was done to them.

Very different situations. Cork and Down were following the guidelines in their own jurisdictions. The Dublin players knowingly broke nationwide restrictions a day after the GAA appealed for nobody to return early.

Fwiw, I dont think the players should get a ban and dont see the harm in what they did.

But you saying GAA players shouldn't get banned cos they aren't professional makes no sense. Players being banned is not new in the GAA.

Very different situations. Cork and Down were following the guidelines in their own jurisdictions. The Dublin players knowingly broke nationwide restrictions a day after the GAA appealed for nobody to return early.

Fwiw, I dont think the players should get a ban and dont see the harm in what they did.

But you saying GAA players shouldn't get banned cos they aren't professional makes no sense. Players being banned is not new in the GAA.

Irrespective of what local guidelines where in place or what the Cork and Down teams say, both teams where found in breach of covid rules by the GAA’s Central Hearings Committee. The rule concerned is rule 7.2 (e) T.O. 2020 – Misconduct Considered to have Discredited the Association. Dublin have breached the same rule. and should, fairly i might add, receive the same punishment.

Of course professionalism has a role to play in determing the punishment of players. Hence, the distinction in the treatment of covid breaches of professional sports people by other sporting bodies.

Irrespective of what local guidelines where in place or what the Cork and Down teams say, both teams where found in breach of covid rules by the GAA’s Central Hearings Committee. The rule concerned is rule 7.2 (e) T.O. 2020 – Misconduct Considered to have Discredited the Association. Dublin have breached the same rule. and should, fairly i might add, receive the same punishment.

Of course professionalism has a role to play in determing the punishment of players. Hence, the distinction in the treatment of covid breaches of professional sports people by other sporting bodies.

I agree they shouldn't be banned.

Only question I have for you is should a GAA player be banned for slapping a notebook from a referees hand, pushing a linesman or squirting water at an umpire, failing a drugs test?

Or should they not be banned at all just cos they're not pro athletes?

I agree they shouldn't be banned.

Only question I have for you is should a GAA player be banned for slapping a notebook from a referees hand, pushing a linesman or squirting water at an umpire, failing a drugs test?

Or should they not be banned at all just cos they're not pro athletes?

Thuggery and cheating transcend the issue of whether a player should be banned if they are at amateur or professional level. Obviously, players should be banned for these serious transgressions. The GAA has specific rules in relation to assault and doping.

For the covid breaches, governed by rule 7.2, and was suspended accordingly. So, in effect, havent the gaa confirmed the view by their actions that the players shouldn't be punished because they are amateurs.

Thuggery and cheating transcend the issue of whether a player should be banned if they are at amateur or professional level. Obviously, players should be banned for these serious transgressions. The GAA has specific rules in relation to assault and doping.

For the covid breaches, governed by rule 7.2, the manager was the paid professional and was suspended accordingly. So, in effect, havent the gaa confirmed the view by their actions that the players shouldn't be punished because they are amateurs.

Any links to confirm Dessie Farrell is being paid?

Also interesting that you mention cheating. Training when the association specifically asked people not to could be construed as cheating. Gaining an unfair advantage over opponents when you're not supposed to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I feel with all the whataboutry we need a more enquiring journalist to take this up!!!

Any links to confirm Dessie Farrell is being paid?

Also interesting that you mention cheating. Training when the association specifically asked people not to could be construed as cheating. Gaining an unfair advantage over opponents when you're not supposed to train.

Your right it was cheating, but I wouldn't lump standing in a field throwing around a ball on the same level as the full rigourous training session that Cork conducted when they broke the covid rules. Perhaps the Dublin team deserve a lesser penalty than Cork then?

If he is doing management for free, he gets extra credence and further strenghtens his position.

You seem a bit all over the place with what you do and dont want and it just comes across as a wind up so I'll leave you to it.

Antrim been in Div 1 of the NHL would stop there been a 'regionl apprroach' to the groups. More than likely the NHL format will stay the same but only the top team in 1A and 1B will contest the final (No qfs, semi finals)

1A
    Limerick
    Waterford
    Galway
    Tipperary
    Cork
    Westmeath

1B
    Clare
    Wexford
    Kilkenny
    Dublin
    Laois
    Antrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Thats one big assumption you are making. They are not professional sportsmen in the true sense of the word, full stop.

Of course they can be banned, i dont understand where you are coming from at all :confused:

Advertisement