Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

RTÉ reporting there remains confidence politically that children’s sports training along with GAA inter country training will resume in April.

If so the regional NFL will commence in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,876 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RTÉ reporting there remains confidence politically that children’s sports training along with GAA inter country training will resume in April.

If so the regional NFL will commence in May.

Hope that's true

The NHL will prob stay with the same format

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40253960.html

Fingers crossed but it would not surprise me if the Government don't give it the go ahead as its still 'too dangerous'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

dobman88 wrote: »

Very exciting

The calender will be interesting, will they run a very small league in May/June then championship July/Aug/September ?

Club championships could spill into 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Absolutely disgusted if true that kids can't train until end of April.
    Some of the kids I train already hanging out in large groups and another month will mean some of them will be too far gone to get them back into the routine of training and games . These kids are 12/13 and may never play a sport again once they've a taste for "hanging around the shops".
    As a coach of young teens I'm really disappointed in this news today .

Absolutely disgusted if true that kids can't train until end of April.
    Some of the kids I train already hanging out in large groups and another month will mean some of them will be too far gone to get them back into the routine of training and games . These kids are 12/13 and may never play a sport again once they've a taste for "hanging around the shops".
    As a coach of young teens I'm really disappointed in this news today .

I agree. I see it every day. Kids playing soccer on the pitch on the estate for an hour and then nothing else to do for the evening.

They're all packed into classrooms anyway so kids sport should have gone back when schools did. Just shows they haven't a clue what they're doing with the restrictions.

I see once again logic and this government don't see eye to eye

What harm is a small kids training session doing

Useless bunch of idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

thought kids were already back at gaa? they are in my local pitch

or they are allowed to play and just can't have training until that date?

Technically they're not supposed to be back. "Officailly". But I've seen it happening too. When lads just happened to be at the pitch the same time as their coach. Pure coincidence.

• Advertisement

Technically they're not supposed to be back. "Officailly". But I've seen it happening too. When lads just happened to be at the pitch the same time as their coach. Pure coincidence.

Kids on their own , while technically outside the regulations won't be an issue. But if a coach was there there could be reprecussions as there is no insurance should someone get injured or worse if there was a Covid outbreak within the team , there could in theory be a case take against the coach or club if complicit

Haven't seen it in my club to be fair outside of a a few small groups of lads training on their own

Kids on their own , while technically outside the regulations won't be an issue. But if a coach was there there could be reprecussions as there is no insurance should someone get injured or worse if there was a Covid outbreak within the team , there could in theory be a case take against the coach or club if complicit

Haven't seen it in my club to be fair outside of a a few small groups of lads training on their own

My own club have said that anyone caught training players on the side will find themselves bottom of the list for training slots once back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

Can anyone define what elite GAA is? Would the Longford hurling team be elite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

No word on training for U20 and minor inter County teams. I presume May at earliest with matches in June?

arctictree wrote: »
    Can anyone define what elite GAA is? Would the Longford hurling team be elite?

Yes

At least having the leagues is something to look forward too and they could be some great games esp in the summer conditions. Who would of ever guessed we'd see summer time national leagues

12 teams in NHL division 1, will they divide it up regionally like the football. Looking like the Championship will be similar to last year with a backdoor added to the Football

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Kick-arounds and puck-arounds are going on all over the country, they’re very low-risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Kick-arounds and puck-arounds are going on all over the country, they’re very low-risk.

No this is down at the gaa pitch big groups of them and they all go to the chipper after

But go on thinking nobody involved in the gaa would ever break a rule

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

No this is down at the gaa pitch big groups of them and they all go to the chipper after

But go on thinking nobody involved in the gaa would ever break a rule

They're doing that in a private capacity. Sports clubs can't police what people do in their spare time.

Jaysus those cork boys just cant help themselves

https://twitter.com/tonyleen/status/1376991433744379907?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I’m a Cork man and that’s just embarrassing

As if the training was even going to make that much of a difference, pure stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

As someone more interested in my home club's adult teams than inter county, yesterday's announcement is very disheartening. It would have been great to get an indication of when we might get back into our club grounds. All this individual training is getting very monotonous for the lads.

As someone more interested in my home club's adult teams than inter county, yesterday's announcement is very disheartening. It would have been great to get an indication of when we might get back into our club grounds. All this individual training is getting very monotonous for the lads.

End of May likely for club players after yesterdsys announcement. I wouldn't hold out any hope of having spectators at games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

End of May likely for club players after yesterdsys announcement. I wouldn't hold out any hope of having spectators at games though.
    Ah, I'm not even worried about the spectators at games thing. I'd just like to see the players (of all sports!) get the chance to meet up and train together again in a safe environment.

Ah, I'm not even worried about the spectators at games thing. I'd just like to see the players (of all sports!) get the chance to meet up and train together again in a safe environment.

I couldnt agree more. Still playing at a low junior level myself and I can't believe how much I've missed it. And I've missed the training, not playing games, and the craic with the lads. A lot to be said for an hour every Tuesday and Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭roadmaster

When will we know what regions the county's will be in?

roadmaster wrote: »

Think the GAA are releasing the revised calender by the end of next week so imagine we will find out the regions/groups by then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

roadmaster wrote: »

What they were when published months ago. HQ will probably stick with that.

Division 1

Group North: Armagh, Donegal, Monaghan, Tyrone.

Group South: Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Roscommon.

Division 2

Group North: Down, Meath, Mayo, Westmeath.

Group South: Clare, Cork, Laois, Kildare.

Division 3

Group North: Cavan, Derry, Fermanagh, Longford.

Group South: Limerick, Offaly, Tipperary, Wicklow.

Division 4

Group North: Antrim, Leitrim, London, Sligo.

Group South: Louth, Carlow, Waterford, Wexford

What they were when published months ago. HQ will probably stick with that.

Division 1

Group North: Armagh, Donegal, Monaghan, Tyrone.

Group South: Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Roscommon.

Division 2

Group North: Down, Meath, Mayo, Westmeath.

Group South: Clare, Cork, Laois, Kildare.

Division 3

Group North: Cavan, Derry, Fermanagh, Longford.

Group South: Limerick, Offaly, Tipperary, Wicklow.

Division 4

Group North: Antrim, Leitrim, London, Sligo.

Group South: Louth, Carlow, Waterford, Wexford

massively new territory for Mickey Harte there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

PTH2009 wrote: »
    massively new territory for Mickey Harte there

Roscommon got the toughest group.
    Still, something for them to aim for

Advertisement