Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiz [ITV]

Options
  • 01-04-2020 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭

ITV’s three-part factual drama Quiz will premiere on Monday April 13th at 9pm and will then air daily in the same time-slot, it has been announced.

Quiz tells the story of Major Ingram, his wife Diana and an accomplice, Tecwen Whittock, who was sitting in the audience, who were accused of cheating their way to a million pounds on the most popular game show on earth in 2001. The couple stood trial for conspiring by coughing during the recording to signify the correct answers to the multiple choice questions posed by Chris Tarrant.

The three-part drama, which was penned by James Graham and directed by Stephen Frears, is produced by Left Bank Pictures and stars Matthew Macfadyen (Succession) as Major Charles Ingram, Michael Sheen (Masters Of Sex) as Chris Tarrant, Sian Clifford (Fleabag) as Diana Ingram, Mark Bonnar (Line Of Duty) as Celador Television Chairman Paul Smith, Helen McCrory (Peaky Blinders) as Sonia Woodley QC, Michael Jibson (The Thirteenth Tale) as Tecwen Whittock, and Aisling Bea (This Way Up) as ITV Entertainment Commissioner Claudia Rosencrantz.

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2020/04/itv-sets-premiere-date-for-quiz/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    ITV’s three-part factual drama Quiz.... [/url]
    Had never heard of this before but after reading these opening words I knew exactly what this was going to be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Looking forward to this one, trailer here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

bump for quiz tonight 9 PM and tomorrow

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Unfortunately doesn’t appear to have been picked up by any Irish station (yet).

Amazing to think of the impact of WWTBAM - it has already been central to the plot of a feature film (Slumdog Millionaire) and now a three part mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Had never heard of this before

Lucky you! They've been trailing it to death on ITV. Must be in every commercial break for the last couple of months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It will surely be on virgin media 3 at some stage.. can’t record itv currently

Very good, though felt odd to watch a drama on its first run broadcast with commercial breaks these days. Ashling Bea has a bit part as ITV executive Claudia Rosencratz in episode 1, so there’s a bit of Irish interest there too.

Michael Sheen was so good as Tarrant it took me a while to realise it was him (which is not to say I thought Chris was playing himself!).

This was very enjoyable

I wasn't expecting to see the guy from Apres Match running ITV! The underground Millionaire resistance is fascinating, I didn't know anything about that.

Surprised Virgin Media are not showing this at the same time as ITV, maybe ITV want to keep it for themselves for now. I'm sure it will make it to one of the Irish Channels soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Shakyfan wrote: »
    Lucky you! They've been trailing it to death on ITV. Must be in every commercial break for the last couple of months...
    Luckily I don't have any reason to ever watch ITV. Found it a challenge to do so tonight.

Enjoyed the show. They really did create something so unique that 20 years later we are still watching a dramatisation of an episode of a quiz show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That was enjoyable, helped by a great cast. If forgotten how much of a cultural phenomenon it was.

Wow im shocked at how nationwide, elaborate and underground the whole con was. It wasnt just a case of some random guy ending up in the chair and being helped by some randomer he barely knew.

I actually felt sorry for the major in one way who was an unwilling participant to many extents. I dont think the punishment seemed to fit the crime in the end. He was kicked out of the army, and eventually had to sell his house, etc. Their children got bullied in school. I read an article from the ever so classy Sun Newspaper where they roasted him and took great pleasure in his bad luck.... a paper who accused the Liverpool fans at Hillsborough of all sorts without any real proof.

On top of this ITV are making probably far more money from this story than he ever could have conned out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Entertaining so far, liked the look to camera at the end :pac:

Just reading an article about the event, I didn't realise the dates of his appearances - 9th and 10th of September, 2001.

So what are you saying?!

Obviously it was all part of an Al Quaeda plot that used 5G and Manchurian Candidates to pull it off!

(No, but it is just an aspect of the story I had never heard before - he won the night before the world changed)

Charles Ingram was actually a MOSSAD agent!

Final answer? :pac:

maudgonner wrote: »
    Entertaining so far, liked the look to camera at the end :pac:

Just reading an article about the event, I didn't realise the dates of his appearances - 9th and 10th of September, 2001.

He done that also at the end of tonights episode too i noticed :D

The ITV Continuity announcer had a mare tonight, he said Quiz would be coming up "starring Martin Sheen and James MacFadyen"

Michael Sheen posted this in response, (and changed his twitter name)

https://twitter.com/michaelsheen/status/1250151620148674562

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a32147339/quiz-michael-sheen-slams-itv-continuity-error-name/

Skid X wrote: »
    The ITV Continuity announcer had a mare tonight, he said Quiz would be coming up "starring Martin Sheen and James MacFadyen"

Michael Sheen posted this in response, (and changed his twitter name)

https://twitter.com/michaelsheen/status/1250151620148674562

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a32147339/quiz-michael-sheen-slams-itv-continuity-error-name/

One hell of an actor.... Both Michael and Martin of course (but Michael in this particular example)

• Advertisement

Was that before or after Harry Pearce threw him out of MI:5?

Also, the writer tweeted this just now, so I'm not the only one who remarked on the timing: :)

https://twitter.com/mrJamesGraham/status/1250164836350275584

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I never knew that there was so much cheating going on in the show.

This was the best line in it, you just know there is someone in ITV thinking "Celebrity Crime Squad? ... that has potential"

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1250163977423917057

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This is just so enjoyable!

Just one thing...in tonight's episode, they said they weren't going to air the episode, but I remember watching the episode where he won the million.

At least I think I did..am I going mad?? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just one thing...in tonight's episode, they said they weren't going to air the episode, but I remember watching the episode where he won the million.

I saw Chris Tarrant on something lately and he said lots of people think they saw the episode but they showed it a documentary sometime later.(I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I saw Chris Tarrant on something lately and he said lots of people think they saw the episode but they showed it a documentary sometime later.(I think).

Ah that would make sense then. Weird how your memory plays tricks on you!

I still remember when Judith Keppell won it - such a great TV moment of it's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,586 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I was just thinking the same. Remembered Judith Keppel winning but couldn't remember this...now I know why!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

remembering back I was full sure I had seen the episode on TV as normal too !! the mind is a funny thing

They did air it, just once, long after it had been made and the criminal proceedings had concluded, on ITV2 directly after the Tonight special about the case.

• Advertisement

its on youtube...or highlights of it at least

Advertisement