Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Their broadband and tv contracts will be separate, so you can safely cancel tv and the internet won't be affected. From experience, you don't get offers on the broadband, so always worth checking elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

tech wrote: »
    I cancelled sky TVa few weeks ago, they offered to reduce bill from 45e to 30e. I still cancelled the guy said I would lose all my FTA and they would block the signal to the dish. I'll keep ye posted. I have FTA tuners I'm all TVs ��

ok so today was D day, surpirse surpise sky signal still working as expected!! I cant cant the irish FTA on the SKY box but have all the BBC's and UK FTA and signal still coming to my other boxes in house / direct to turners in TV!

Bye bye SKY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

pepsimike wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on how to talk to someone at sky
    I need to cancel but can't get through to them they just cut you off when you ring they are blaming the covid 19 virus for being so busy ?

They've always been a disaster, when you try to cancel with them. Actually, I think its strategic, rather than just bad or unfortunite etc.

If you tell them you want to upgrade your package, they'll have someone on the phone to you in seconds.

If you can't get them on the phone, suggest you cancel their direct debit and send them a letter by registered post telling them that you are dumping them. They'll moan that you can't cancel in that manner, but don't fall for that nonsense. Tell them that they are uncontactable by phone, end of story.

You'll be liable for 1 months notice (from memory), assuming your minimum contract period is over - if not, you'll be liable for a larger final payment.

By the way, don't think that'll be the end of Sky, I left them many months ago, but still get the odd call or email from them, telling me how much they'd love to have me back. Perhaps I need to revoke their marketing permissions, but that probably requires a phonecall, so I'll wait until the next time that they call me.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

ok so today was D day, surpirse surpise sky signal still working as expected!! I cant cant the irish FTA on the SKY box but have all the BBC's and UK FTA and signal still coming to my other boxes in house / direct to turners in TV!

Bye bye SKY!!!

When I cancelled 5 years ago the cancellation agent tried to spin a similar story to me.
    He had asked how I'd get tv. I told him I'd combine Saorview with the fta satellite feed on my dual tuner LG TV.
    He proceeds to tell me how the fta signal was soon going to be blocked. I laughed and asked him if sky was going to place a big Montgomery Burns style shield over Ireland to block the satellite signals.
    The same guy also tried to tell me netflix was useless as I told him I was taking out a subscription with them.
    5 years on, I have used my sky sub to pay for a family holiday in Orlando and I'm still enjoying netflix on my smart TV with both Saorview and fta satellite. I dip in and out of nowtv but only use offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've found the few times I've rang Sky during the Covid19 stuff that the retention team have answered the phone within seconds.

They just won't play ball with me, fine they've reduced my package down, even got a text offering me to stay which seems generic so maybe others can try it but you have to be signed in it seems for it to work: www.sky.ie/reviewmyoptions

Still keeping my cancellation valid for now(18th June) as they wont bend on the Multiscreen once off charge to RENT something from them. €50 upfront to pay them €19 a month. No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Found them grand last night. Cancellation took 12 minutes or so. Offered me two reductions, 35 percent and then 40. Still cencelled though.

All in all a decent service.

garrettod wrote: »
    By the way, don't think that'll be the end of Sky, I left them many months ago, but still get the odd call or email from them, telling me how much they'd love to have me back. Perhaps I need to revoke their marketing permissions, but that probably requires a phonecall, so I'll wait until the next time that they call me.

Next time they ring just ask them to stop calling, they'll confirm they can do that immediately (I had same issue when I cancelled).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Found them grand last night. Cancellation took 12 minutes or so. Offered me two reductions, 35 percent and then 40. Still cencelled though.

All in all a decent service.

What sort of setup are you going with now out of interest?

CBear1993 wrote: »
    What sort of setup are you going with now out of interest?

Saorview and freesat. Have a lad lined up to install saorview antenna on chimney alongside dish. 150 bucks. No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

what type of free sta box are you going to use?

• Advertisement

I'll be using the twin tuners in tue back of my LG. I watch practically zero tv so im not buying a fancy box.

If looking for options, these are good ones to look at:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057925678
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058029916

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

has anyone tried to cancel their sky tv service via their live chat?if so how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

dom40 wrote: »
    has anyone tried to cancel their sky tv service via their live chat?if so how did you get on?

I tried this route and unfortunately they couldn't do anything on the live chat, only give me a number to ring and to ask for their loyalty team. Then had a question about a bill where I was charged extra and was told to ring the same number

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

JamPack wrote: »
    I tried this route and unfortunately they couldn't do anything on the live chat, only give me a number to ring and to ask for their loyalty team. Then had a question about a bill where I was charged extra and was told to ring the same number

thanks jampack,so you can cancel in the uk via live chat,but not in Ireland,I hate having to phone to cancel,i have had a few bad experiences in the past with the retention crowd,they dont half talk some crap.Iam cancelling next month so i will just have to take a deep breath before the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

Shoie wrote: »
    I am looking for a STB recommendation. As with some on this thread I recently cancelled Sky due to price. I went for the PowerPoint Saorviw as I thought it had everything i needed, I should have read Boards first. The box is good but my main gripe is that you can not get Netflix or other channel players such as All4 of VMPlayer. Saorview website say TV players like RTE Player so I thought I could install more.

Is there a box you could recommend that would be a good alternative to the Triviar box? Wants I have for a STB is to:
    1. Saorview
    2. FreeSat
    3. 7 day EPG (on Saorview and FreeSat if possible)
    4. Pause/rewind/fast forward live tv
    5. Series record
    6. Install catch up TV apps - RT Player, VM Player, All4, dPlay etc..
    7. Install streaming apps - Netflix, Prime and NowTV

I have an aerial and dish installed running to the new box and signal is good. I am tech minded but don’t want to have to be constantly updating a box. I would like to set it and let it do the updates itself. I have used android boxes but not Linux.

Any tips, or links to other threads, anyone could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I just wanted to update the thread about my final choice. After looking at the different options I have decided to go with:
    • Saorview Powerpoint Box
    • Android TV Box

The Saorview box gives me the Irish stations with the ability to record, soaps are important to the other half, and UK freesat stations.

After looking at the TV Player set up I discovered most of the UK stations are geolocked but can still get some such as dPlay. I discovered an editable launcher for the Android box as well so that means I have a consistent set up in each room and the holiday home. I bought an air mouse for the Android box as well for the keyboard.

All in all I am happy with the new set up. It took a bit of time and research but nothing worth having comes easy as they say.

Thanks to all those that answered my original question.:):cool:

How much did it cost ye all in? And will you have any yearly costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Shoie wrote: »
    I just wanted to update the thread about my final choice. After looking at the different options I have decided to go with:
    • Saorview Powerpoint Box
    • Android TV Box

The Saorview box gives me the Irish stations with the ability to record, soaps are important to the other half, and UK freesat stations.

After looking at the TV Player set up I discovered most of the UK stations are geolocked but can still get some such as dPlay. I discovered an editable launcher for the Android box as well so that means I have a consistent set up in each room and the holiday home. I bought an air mouse for the Android box as well for the keyboard.

All in all I am happy with the new set up. It took a bit of time and research but nothing worth having comes easy as they say.

Thanks to all those that answered my original question.:):cool:

Does the Powerpoint Box have two channel record function?

Similar to a sky box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I just got off a call with a very nice chap from the loyalty team who reduced my bill €199 p/m to €142 p/m. We have never paid 199, but as all our current offers have expired, that was the figure on a future bill.

We have a lot of things with sky - TV (Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sports Extra, Multiroom, Variety) and Broadband/Phone.

We're pretty happy with this price, and we'll call again in 6 months when they expire. It might help that we have been customers for 13 years, but we are pretty happy with our subscription.

Yeah they told me the longer you stay you move up those silver/platinum levels? Hope this is true, not many companies left that reward loyalty!

That's a good reduction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Yeah they told me the longer you stay you move up those silver/platinum levels? Hope this is true, not many companies left that reward loyalty!

That's a good reduction

Seems to be true. Our account is a platinum level. I didn't even threaten to leave them, I just said I would probably cancel Sports Extra if nothing could be done. We are very happy with Sky, we watch a lot of sport, so we know that it's going to cost a fair bit. Their broadband service is top.

This is my parents account, so I don't want them being robbed. When I move out in a year or two, I'll be starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Recently cancelled my Sky TV subscription online through the following link:
    https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv-roi

I selected the "email option", and received an acknowledgement, and that someone will be in touch within 48 hours. I presume they'll send me some kind of label for returning the Sky Q stuff at the end of the 31 days, but at least I didn't have to sit on hold on the phone for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Can anyone tell me when you get through to SKy and confirm your cancellation, how shortly afterwards will the channels disappear?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dedaw wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when you get through to SKy and confirm your cancellation, how shortly afterwards will the channels disappear?
    Thank you.
    30 days which is the notice period you would have given

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joesimpson

How do you log into their website. I've been trying to get out of Sky for months. Am on hold on the p[hone for 45+ minutes every time and have to give up as its far too expensive on my phone contract. If I just cancel the direct debit they might take me to court unless I can prove that Sky deliberately make it extremely difficult to leave. I am now back in the UK and cannot be calling Dublin every day waiting for a reply. If I was asking to upgrade they'd answer in seconds. Furious that Sky treats its customers in this manner. Anyone got any advice.

Maybe I'll send a registered letter to the Managing Director declaring cessation of contract then cancel my SKY direct debit mandate.  If they take me to court, I'll have evidence of cancellation. And, any fair court would see from my efforts -and indeed the evidence of this post regarding that effort - I had tried several times to cancel in the correct fashion in order to comply with my contract conditions. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

joe there is a freephone number for sky 1800 927476 just put it on loud speaker and do a bit of surfing. To log on you need to create an account and it will need your card number. Online very good as you can see bills etc. when you open an online account you can drill down to the cancel function and then click yes.

And I know its a pain here in ireland with no chat facility be patient.

there is a moving home bit as well and you could enter new uk address!!

I feel your pain but dont give up.

nb notice is 31 days so you pay 31 days and if mid month they add on a bit ie pro rata

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

I found it impossible to contact them online, page would never load even though Internet was fine. Was on hold 45 mins before getting through.
    Sky suddenly were able to almost half my subscription cost, I still wanted to cancel, the agent then changed her manner, became very condescending and obnoxious, kept putting me on hold (twice) saying that the cancellation takes time to sort out. It took another 30 minutes on the phone to eventually get the message across. I had to be polite throughout because the f@#ki#g bi#ch would cut me off.
    Never did I develop so much hatred for anyone during a phone call.
    Its 31 days notice from cancellation. My second last payment has gone out so its just the pro rata I owe them. I might cancel the direct debit and stall it for a while to see if I can give them the run around. I should have cancelled years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nophd08 wrote: »
    I found it impossible to contact them online, page would never load even though Internet was fine. Was on hold 45 mins before getting through.
    Sky suddenly were able to almost half my subscription cost, I still wanted to cancel, the agent then changed her manner, became very condescending and obnoxious, kept putting me on hold (twice) saying that the cancellation takes time to sort out. It took another 30 minutes on the phone to eventually get the message across. I had to be polite throughout because the f@#ki#g bi#ch would cut me off.
    Never did I develop so much hatred for anyone during a phone call.
    Its 31 days notice from cancellation. My second last payment has gone out so its just the pro rata I owe them. I might cancel the direct debit and stall it for a while to see if I can give them the run around. I should have cancelled years ago.

trying to cancel is a joke, had the same experience. they must be targetted in someway because they take it too personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

Cyrus wrote: »
    trying to cancel is a joke, had the same experience. they must be targetted in someway because they take it too personally.
    Oh it's all target driven.

The earlier they can talk you out of cancelling, the better the win for them - you'll find they'll put you on hold several times to "just check this is going through, oh it's taking a bit longer than usual" and then suddenly will come back with some new proposal.

And when you cancel that's just the start - winback seem to take over your account after about a month of the cancellation having gone through and then the phone calls will start, several times a day if you don't answer, and every couple of weeks if you do answer and say you're not interested in rejoining.

It has put me off rejoining them again because of the hassle you have to go through whenever you want to cancel or downgrade some element of the service which is surely counter productive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Had an absolute nightmare trying to cancel last year.
    Cancelled direct debit then got threatening letters.
    Contacted com reg and they still wouldn’t give up.
    They hung on to a technical detail that both me and my wife needed to cancel.
    In the end they relented. Reason- the last sky guy to call me insisted that my wife needed to acknowledge the cancellation.
    My reply - I am recording this call and my wife died yesterday.
    He basically said he didn’t believe me and I said that I don’t care.
    Never heard from them again
    Yes I had to fake my wife’s death to break free from sky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement