Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add your pearls of wisdom, based on experience.

Options
  • 30-03-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Experienced cyclist or bike mechanic?

Drop some one-liner advice here for people that may be starting out, now that we've got plenty of time on our hands!!

Try to stay on topic and base it on your own experience.

I'll start the ball (wheels?) rolling...

Invest in some padded shorts or under-shorts for cycling; they make a world of difference for comfort.

Don't gauge your cycling ability against more experienced cyclists; it's very easy to get disillusioned. Strength and stamina will come. Be patient with yourself. If you only go out and do a couple of miles on a bike once a week, you are a cyclist! Be proud of the fact.

Have someone who knows what they're doing service your bike regularly - e.g. trying to get a few years out of a chain often means an expensive full drivetrain replacement.

Keep your tyres pumped..hard. The bike is easier to cycle and less likely to puncture.

Avoid dropping, laying or leaving your bike fall on the drive (right) side; I've fixed numerous bikes where the gears have become entangled in the rear wheel because of this, causing catastrophic damage...the most expensive one was over €2000..!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Cheap, light, strong - pick any 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Only one thing you need to know, Glasses OVER your helmet straps😆

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Disagree with tyre advice, pump for time of year & surface..

No drop policy in clubs is a myth!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

The ideal number of bikes to own is N+1, N being the number of bikes you currently own.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

It doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

New expensive wheels, upgrading groupset or bike won’t make you faster. Training and cycling regularly will.

I have 3 road bikes, a €4500 S-Works Roubaix, an Felt VR30 gravel bike which cost me €1500 and an entry level Cube Attain with 8 speed Claris groupset which I bought for €240 (although it was brand new never used when I bought it). My training spin is a 36km loop...I can do the loop at more or less the same speed/effort on all 3 bikes with less than 1min between my fastest times on each of them.

Just proves a bike is only as fast as you can pedal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

New expensive wheels, upgrading groupset or bike won’t make you faster. Training and cycling regularly will.

that sir is absolute balderdash

we all know its all about the bike !!!!!;);):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

The more annoying the click the longer it takes to find what’s causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

You can wear ankle socks when cycling.

Also, start working on your bike. They're not that complicated, and if you buy a tool when you need to do a job, you'll quickly build up a concurrent set of skills and tools

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cletus wrote: »

No you can't.

My advice, depending on your personality in regards bike cleaning, if your OCD, do it regularly and get the most for your buck and OCD relief. If you are a person that needs a reward, do it rarely, the joy of a drivertrain that is cleaned after a long break, how much nicer it sounds, how slightly faster you are is wonderful (I am the latter). I personally believe a clean bike is a sign of an unhealthy mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Black socks = black heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

creaking noises are never from the bottom bracket! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Learn how to fix things. Look at maintenance videos. Buy the tools. DIY and save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

'Dont buy upgrades, ride up grades'. Sage words from some Belgian dude who won a few races back when.....

Keep you bike clean, especially all the moving parts: 5 minutes with a wash-down after a spin will make it more enjoyable next time you go out, and it will uncover issues that you can fix in time to ensure you can head out next time

Learn how to adjust gears, fit a spare tube, fix a puncture, adjust brakes (maybe leave hydraulics for a bit.......)

Buy the best quality tools you can - they will last you a lifetime and not let you down just when you need them

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Keep away from the left of the road - stay about 1m from the kerb if possible.
    When coming to a stop, change down to an appropriate gear before you stop.
    Buy a decent pair of shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Don't leave it to the last second to clip out

A good bike takes time to reveal itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

"PEDAL DOWN THE HILL!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Tyre pressure as low as you can before they feel squirmy.

Better to be looking at it than for it.

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

8valve wrote: »
    Keep your tyres pumped..hard. The bike is easier to cycle and less likely to puncture.
    saccades wrote: »
    Tyre pressure as low as you can before they feel squirmy.
    at least we have consistency!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Buy a turbo trainer, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

cletus wrote: »

Only on track, especially indoors, where even no socks may be an option depending on temperature

The inner ring is only for warming up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

SwissToni wrote: »
    Only one thing you need to know, Glasses OVER your helmet straps😆

Ah here Swiss, I was expecting your advice to be more along the lines of this from you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

20g of carbon fibre won't offset 5kg of gut.

Speaking from experience...:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

rurs wrote: »
    It doesn't get easier, you just get faster.
    Why do people say this? Of course it gets easier, hills that were impossible once and required you to get off and walk become the easy bit on the way to the mountains etc, 100km rides become normal weekend activities when previously they were physically impossible. It's just such a strange phrase to be in common use for a sport like cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

One more post about working on your bike. Everything bike related seems to be expensive. Tools too. For generic tools like spanner, Allen keys, torx etc, don't pay the premium for a badge like park tools, when there are plenty of other good quality options out there, at a lesser price

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thargor wrote: »
    It's just such a strange phrase to be in common use for a sport like cycling.
    it's a famous greg lemond quote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thargor wrote: »
    Why do people say this? Of course it gets easier, hills that were impossible once and required you to get off and walk become the easy bit on the way to the mountains etc, 100km rides become normal weekend activities when previously they were physically impossible. It's just such a strange phrase to be in common use for a sport like cycling.

It doesn't really though, cos you go faster! If you continue to go at the same speed you did before you got fit then yes, it's easier, but as you get fitter you go faster and the faster you go the harder it is!
    It is much, much easier to suffer when you're lighter and fitter than if you're not though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Confucius say, start hill like old man finish like new one.

Advertisement