Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waving at your fellow cyclist

Options
  • 26-03-2020 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭

Maybe it’s just me but now that I’m out cycling solo, other cyclists seem much more willing to give a Wave to other cyclists ?

I guess it’s not until you can’t cycle with others that you realise just how social cycling can be.

I also notice the wind a lot more! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Maybe it’s just me but now that I’m out cycling solo, other cyclists seem much more willing to give a Wave to other cyclists ?

I guess it’s not until you can’t cycle with others that you realise just how social cycling can be.

I always give a wave or hello to other cyclists, hikers and people I come across and enjoy when I get the same. A little bit of acknowledgement is always kind in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I wave at the vast majority, always did.

There are certain club jerseys that, when I see them approach, I've given up even bothering, though

I salute most in passing except for aggressive pack animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I do 90% of my cycling solo and always find it weird when other soloists don't give some sort of acknowledgement, especially in winter. It usually just makes me grateful I don't have whatever they have going on in their mind at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I salute most in passing except for aggressive pack animals.

When in a group, I tend to concentrate on following the wheel in front of me which means I don't always see riders approaching. Also taking your hand(s) off the bars while in a group is not wise, especially on a windy day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I thought it was just me who thought it was "rude" or "odd" and sometimes I even took offense (;) not really) if people goin thte other way didn't wave.
    In general, I have noticed most cyclists say hello or wave, or both. I always cycle solo, so maybe they were taking pity at my lack of friends??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Maybe it’s just me but now that I’m out cycling solo, other cyclists seem much more willing to give a Wave to other cyclists ?...
    I rarely encounter any other cyclists during my early morning commute on semi-rural roads but lately that seems to have changed (not really sure why). What is noticeable is that none respond to a nod or wave. It must be different during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Almost always give a nod, wave or a good morning, but most of the time I get strange looks back (possibly because of the camera on top of my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I sometimes cycle and walk to work. The majority of people (without earphones) will reply to your good tidings. If they dont I wouldn't take it personally. But I do cycle on the northside were we do seem to be more socialable.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Probably something you ate recently....;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I rarely encounter any other cyclists during my early morning commute on semi-rural roads but lately that seems to have changed (not really sure why). What is noticeable is that none respond to a nod or wave. It must be different during the day.
    my theory is that people who cycle for fun are generally much more likely to self-identify as cyclists, than people who cycle just to commute.
    as such the former group are much more likely to be tribal (probably a poor choice of a word) and look out for their fellow cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

I run and cycle, but I've been running for longer than I've been cycling (for fun, anyway)

I've noticed, or at least it feels like it anyway, that if I'm running and I nod or wave to a cyclist, they are less likely to wave back than if I'm cycling (99.9% solo).

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

I've noticed while out walking recently that more people are saying hello or nodding and smiling.

It's mixed on the bike but long may it continue !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd always try to make a point of acknowledging others, particularly in the early morning or in a more rural setting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm a non waver or nodder, I do the country lifted fingers from the bars (but not the whole hand. No matter how long I live in Dublin I don't lose that!)
    Doesn't bother me at all if someone acknowledges me at all on the bike, we're all doing our own thing, but people do seem friendlier at the moment, which is nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The last fortnight, there has definetly been a surge in this friendly type of behaviour, silver linings and all that.

Etc wrote: »
    I've noticed while out walking recently that more people are saying hello or nodding and smiling...
    I think its a sort of compensatory 'on offence intended' feature after giving someone a wide berth when meeting while walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Curious.. do you wave at other joggers when out jogging, or other car users when driving?

I'd probably do this when on remote roads in Leitrim or similar, but in the city or other suburban commutes I'd just usually concentrate on my exercise routine and stay in my own zone :)

eeeee wrote: »
    ...I do the country lifted fingers from the bars...
    Fingers? ....You're doing it all wrong. Only the forefinger of the right hand should be raised. Up quickly and allow to drop slowly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

mrcheez wrote: »
    Curious.. do you wave at other joggers when out jogging, or other car users when driving?

I'd probably do this when on remote roads in Leitrim or similar, but in the city or other suburban commutes I'd just usually concentrate on my exercise routine and stay in my own zone :)

When running, yes I'll wave/nod/ some form of acknowledgment that we're both out here doing this thing as we pass by. I'll do the same thing when walking if I pass other people walking or running

Driving, not so much, but I suppose it's a more fleeting transitory thing.

Having said that, I live in a village in Kildare, not in the city. If I'm walking around Dublin, I don't wave to everyone I pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Fingers? ....You're doing it all wrong. Only the forefinger of the right hand should be raised. Up quickly and allow to drop slowly. :)
    Fadó fadó my mother cut her index finger which led to an infection and her inability to bend it for a while. For that week or so she noticed a lot more friendly drivers on the roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I think it should be the "culchie head nod" or Contador style finger guns or nothing as a greeting or nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sign of the times,

we all know what we're going through..a knowing nod or wave is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'll occasionally nod but it really depends on what groupset they are using.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think it should be the "culchie head nod" or Contador style finger guns or nothing as a greeting or nothing!

This will be my commute going forward, like a shining bicycle jesus
    buddy_christ-3_jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Trying to mimic here in the office...imaginary hoods, i do lift fingers but not sure how many :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Im sorry to one and all for raising the middle finger, what was I thinking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I raise the index finger and half raise the one beside. It's a big effort :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i say hello to anything i pass. i've even been known to shout words of encouragement at wildlife too.

though that was when a buzzard flew alongside me, at a distance of less than 10m, for about 20m. was a fantastic experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I find that some sort of of understated acknowledgement gradually builds up between me and other parents with children in cargo bikes that I pass most days (or did before the era of the virus).

Advertisement