Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've read a few on this:

The one by Sam Pivnik is just incredible.

My Friend Anne Frank is another very good one.

And I;ve mentioned here before One Hundred Miracles- Zuzanna Ruzickova - a book that straddles second world war and eastern bloc communism.

The fact is I suppose that its such an incredible period in history, that anyone who survived it has a very interesting story to tell.

I've very little interest in reading about historical figures at this point; the stories and testimonies of ordinary people are far more interesting.

Its a great book - maybe worth reading Down and Out in London and Paris as a 20th century counterpoint…

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Just wrapping up World War Z. Really enjoying how the story is told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks - I've read that.
    In this instance I am looking for non-fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's a great book. You should definitely read The Zombie Survival Guide too if you haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'd recommend going back to it in a year or two but listening to the fantastic audiobook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

For any fans of Into The Wild, The WIld Truth by Carine (Chris’s sister) is essential reading. Her own story is as fascinating as Chris’s and adds so much more to Into The Wild.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished ‘The Hunger Games’ trilogy i enjoyed it, keeps the interest going but really it’s one story split into three. Got loads on my Kindle but might try ‘Wuthering Heights’ as I passed an advert for Kate Bush earlier and after the song becoming an ear worm realised I’d never read the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I've read books 2, 3 and 4 of the expanse series this month, and The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. And I've started book 5 of the expanse, Nemesis Games.

I've put The Bee Sting on the long finger yet again and am reading Patrick Ness' A Monster Calls instead. Only started it yesterday but I'm enjoying it immensely already. Very reminiscent of Neil Gaiman, which is a Very Good Thing in my book.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AMTE_21

Finished Persons Unknown by Susie Steiner. I saw an obit for this writer in the Irish Times and had never heard of her, she died at 52 from a brain tumour. Saw the book in the library and thought I’d give it a try. It’s the second book she wrote. It was a good read, the characters were a bit different and it was very witty in parts. It was about a man found stabbed to death close to where the detective and her sister are living in Cambridgeshire. It turns out they have a connection to him. When her adopted son, who’s only 12 is arrested for his murder, she has to find out what really happened. I enjoyed it and will try the other two in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭bullpost

Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane

Halfway through and really enjoying it.

First of his I've read so will probably give some of the others a go.

He can be very hit and miss, just be warned. Avoid The Given Day like the plague.

Shutter Island is worth reading.

Mystic River was a far better film than book. Likewise Gone Baby Gone.

The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999–2001 by Sue Townsend.

The only one I havent read. Not as good as the others based on my reading so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Spirit Level by Richy Craven.

About a lad those best friend dies in a drink driving incident, and he can see his ghost only when he's drunk, very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭GeneralSherman

I am (slowly) reading Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett. It is a thriller/historical fiction set in WW2 Britain where a Nazi spy has collected evidence which will spill the beans on the actual date and location of the D-Day invasion. The British realise this and are trying to catch the spy before he has communicated what he has discovered and and D-Day must be cancelled. The German spy uses a stiletto knife to kill anyone in his way as he tries to make his way to a U-boat to pass on his info.

I picked this up from the "library" on a campsite in Italy at Easter and it is an easy read which is moving along nicely but probably is similar to many books set in Nazi spy/World War 2 fiction. It's not as good as C.J. Sansom's (RIP) Dominion which is set around the same era but I will finish it.

I’ve just finished The Family Remains by Lisa Jewell. It was enjoyable a page turner with short chapters. It went backwards and forwards in time and each chapter dealt with one of the characters. I found it a bit convoluted at times but maybe that was me! I think it’s a follow on from another of hers which I haven’t read The Family Upstairs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It is @AMTE_21 and the first one is quite good, I found it harder to remember who they all were in the second one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The end of us by Olivia Kiernan

A very enjoyable thriller the twists are a bit predictable except for the last one.

• Advertisement

A Legacy of Spies - John Le Carre

Didn't read the older books in the Smiley series but did see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy recently so reading this was a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle . Will probably go back to start and read them in order soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, I read Something Wicked this way comes a while back and there was something about it that just didn't grab me. I feel somewhat the same about this but I am enjoying it.

Bedsit Disco Queen: How I grew up and tried to be a pop star by Tracey Thorn

Just started it, but entertaining so far .

Educated by Tara Westover - incredible book.

Mexico Set - Len Deighton, its slow paced but I like his writing.

Have taken this advice and am now reading They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera. It's a bit meh so far, but I'm only a few chapters in.

I really liked A Monster Calls. Very bittersweet and evocative.

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. Only getting to this now. Enjoyed it, but it gets a bit repetitive. But a feel good book where they all end up happy ever after.

The Bee Sting isn’t a bad book. Dickie and Cass’s storylines (father and daughter) were almost entirely pure brilliance. The others though, were not. They were predictable, convoluted in places and their inclusion changed the timeline/era of Dickie’s early story which was a loss IMO. At 600 odd pages, it wasn’t worth the investment in time.
    Spoiler alert:

One plot line irked me and it was a simple thing to get the facts correct on. A mechanic Dickie hires is stealing the catalytic converters out of cars that come into his garage for service. The customers come back days or weeks later complaining. If your cat is nicked, your cat will sound like a tank right away. Even if you try to cover up, every other mechanic in the place will know what you’re at and shop you in to save themselves and their job.
    It was just an implausible tactic that shouldn’t have made it to publication.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

In case you're interested, a fifth book in the Hunger Games universe has just been announced, to be released in March 2025 (and movie in Nov 2026).

Titled "Sunrise on the Reaping", it is based on the character of Haymitch Abernathy.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My Father's House by Joseph O'Connor

A really enjoyable read about an Irish priest in occupied Rome, who deceived both the Nazis and the Pope in operating an escape line for POWs.

Advertisement