Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Terror - Dan Simmons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just finished the TV show which was excellent before realizing it's a book. Let me know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Great book. I don’t have to go get trapped in ice and starve as I have a good idea of what it would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

the 12 rules of life by Jordan peterson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Just finished the TV show which was excellent before realizing it's a book. Let me know how it goes

Same here, wasn't even aware of the TV show (which was excellent) until it was shown on RTÉ recently.

It's very good, as another poster has alluded to it's very descriptive of wintering in the ice and great well written characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Just finished "The Glorious Guinness Girl" by Emily Hourigan. Really good book. No great plot movement, just really good character watching, enjoyed it being played out to a background of the war of independence and the civil war, as well as the remnants of the great war and the wall street crash, and the roaring twenties in London.

Also read Dr Marie Cassidy's book, beyond the tape. Interesting, but cold and clinical book. Really gives no real insight into the author. Decent insight into the work alright.

Similarly, Mary McAleese's Memoir was very disappointing. Just a join the dots history of her exceptional career. The early parts, of growing up in Belfast right on the frontline in the troubles was good. The ret was poor enough. The big thing that was missing was the motivation for studying in Rome, in a church she had really deep issues with. Never really understood that. Her explanation was fine if you gave a few weekends checking stuff out, but several years in Rome, researching canon law???

also finished The Dark Room, by Sam Blake. Really enjoyed this, a straight forward thriller with a big Irish setting. Very modern setting, clipped along at a good pace. Good enjoyable read, not heavy, solid thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

farmerval wrote: »

Also read Dr Marie Cassidy's book, beyond the tape. Interesting, but cold and clinical book. Really gives no real insight into the author. Decent insight into the work alright.

"cold and clinical" kinda what you would expect from a pathologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

the 12 rules of life by Jordan peterson

I was just about to read this but the couple pages I flicked onto had religious stuff which kind of kind of put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Tribe by Sebastian Junger

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I've just finished The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. You know him, the lad that's never on TV!

An easy read but I didn't overly enjoy it. Hard to pinpoint why. It was a bit of a leap to think that some of the scenarios could ever happen. I just don't know if it was fiction or fantasy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Saw the name and was decided now was as good a time as any to give The Hyperion Cantos a re-read. Been probably nearly a decade since I first read it but remember enjoying it immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Just finished the Travelling Cat Chronicles. A japanese book about the relationship between a man and his beloved cat. Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished Barack Obama’s autobiography; I very much enjoyed it, he’s a good writer and gives interesting descriptions of many people & situations he encountered. It finishes in 2011, and I believe there’s a second volume due.

Now on to W. Somerset Maugham’s ‘The Painted Veil’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Troy- Stephen Fry, I am loving this petty Greek Gods and glorious Greek/Trojan heros, hope to finish it today in this bookreading weather

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Really enjoyed reading the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Wild Irish Women: Extraordinary Lives from History by Marian Broderick.

Was alright, with the book including 71 women from history in 340 pages it didn't give as much of an insight into the women as I would of liked. Last year I read a book about the "bad boys" from Irish history and it had a better set up of having less men and thereby more detail on those that were included.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Billion Dollar Whale

About a Malaysian who swindled hundreds of millions out of the Malaysian government and others while living a lavish life and funding the Wolf of Wall Street movie.

A Brief History of The Celts by Peter Berresford Ellis

Some interesting insights to the Celtic way of life right across Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.... Grim

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Started Michael Wood’s ‘The Story of China’.
    Only a chapter in but already fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Citizen Soldiers by Stephen E. Ambrose.

"The U.S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany"

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb.

It's about a brother who is coping with life with a twin with mental health issues. It has 897 pages and the print is small! Nearly finished and it's a great read.

I've the tv show with Mark Ruffalo downloaded from Sky Atlantic so I'll watch after I'm done reading!

Currently starting the entire "Skullduggery" series to see if they are ok to give to my 10 year old Daugther. Half way into first book - so far it's ok.

Stupidly did not realise until I was actually reading it - that it's by an Irish author and set mostly in Ireland :)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Really enjoyed reading the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Go ok for you? Never liked the books as much as the films. Never sure why.

There is a very similar set of books - but much more adult themed - that I liked a lot which I usually recommend to people who liked LOTR. It is called "The chronicles of Thomas Covenant the unbeliever".

Actually it was here on boards it was recommended too - and quite happy I am it was too.

Go ok for you? Never liked the books as much as the films. Never sure why.

There is a very similar set of books - but much more adult themed - that I liked a lot which I usually recommend to people who liked LOTR. It is called "The chronicles of Thomas Covenant the unbeliever".

Actually it was here on boards it was recommended too - and quite happy I am it was too.

Yeah I enjoyed the books but I think if I read them before watching the films, I wouldn't of enjoyed the films as much as I did.

Das Reich: The March of the 2nd SS Panzer Division Through France, June 1944 by Max Hastings.

I really enjoyed reading this and the attempts of the various factions that comprised the French Resistance in delaying the arrival of the 2nd SS Panzer Division to Normandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've taken a break from The Mirror and the Light and started rereading the Dark Tower series. Have read the Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands in the past week and a half or so and am now taking a break from that with The Wisdom of Old Dogs, which is a collection of essays on what elderly dogs can teach us about life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've taken a break from The Mirror and the Light
    I ordered it online and arrived the other day. It's a beast!

Just finished Olive Kitteridge and ploughing straight into Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout, Hilary Mantel calls her a "superbly gifted storyteller..."

The main character Olive Kitteridge reminds me a little of the character jessica fletcher in murdershewrote only Olive doesn't accrue dead bodies whereever she goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished The Master and Margarita. The devil and four companions show up in 1930s Moscow and cause chaos.
    I was a bit skeptic when I was recommended this book, but I did enjoy it. The Russian use of patronymics was driving me mad for a while though.

Reading now Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt after it was mentioned here. So far so good.

Advertisement