Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Just finished The Dirty South by John Connolly, another Charlie Parker story.

Now started Behind the Enigma_ The Authorised History of GCHQ, Britain’s Secret Cyber-Intelligence Agency by John Ferris

QI

Was a big fan of the Charlie Parker series but kind of lost track - he really churns them out. Have just today received deliveries of the previous three before The Dirty South so looking forward to getting back into them. How was it? I felt the quality dipped a bit.

Currently reading King Leopold’s Ghost after many recommendations on here.

Have had a bit of a readers’ block over last couple of years but looking forward to getting stuck into the stacks I’ve bought over last week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The legend of mick the Miller by Michael Tanner.
    Good read so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

If Then: How the Simulmatics Corporation Invented the Future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭raclle

Hi everyone, wondering where the best place to get the "Stormlight Archive Series"? Seems to be difficult to get the box set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

accensi0n wrote: »
    If Then: How the Simulmatics Corporation Invented the Future

Is it good? Have it on the list to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

This is the first book in the Farseer Trilogy and although I was not impressed by the first one or two chapters, it really grew on me and I really enjoyed this. So much so I will order the remaining two books.

It centers on the illegitimate child (Fitz) of the crown prince of the Six Duchies, who hated by everyone for bringing scandal on a much loved King-in-waiting, the crown prince abdicates and flees to the country to spend his remaining days living a quite life with his wife. The boy is handed over to the royal family at the of age 6 and goes on to train as a stableboy and then the king's assassin.

However, not everyone in the royal family is pleased with his arrival and attempts are made on his life. However, with the Six Duchies on the brink of war and, Fitz must use the magic of the royal family to save the kingdom from a plot to over throw the new king-in-waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

This is the first book in the Farseer Trilogy and although I was not impressed by the first one or two chapters, it really grew on me and I really enjoyed this. So much so I will order the remaining two books.

It centers on the illegitimate child (Fitz) of the crown prince of the Six Duchies, who hated by everyone for bringing scandal on a much loved King-in-waiting, the crown prince abdicates and flees to the country to spend his remaining days living a quite life with his wife. The boy is handed over to the royal family at the of age 6 and goes on to train as a stableboy and then the king's assassin.

However, not everyone in the royal family is pleased with his arrival and attempts are made on his life. However, with the Six Duchies on the brink of war and, Fitz must use the magic of the royal family to save the kingdom from a plot to over throw the new king-in-waiting.

My favourite author. I am SO jealous you get experience it for the first time. I loved it all so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

The Young Team by Graeme Armstrong. Enjoying it so far but have to get used to reading Scottish dialect and slang again (I used to binge on Irvine Welsh books)

Next up is Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. (Assuming it is under the tree tomorrow morning) The reviews for this have been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Dead Zone - Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭KH25

The Dead Zone - Stephen King

Enjoyed that a lot when I read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Star Wars: Maul by Joe Schreiber.

It's about Darth Maul, who is dispatched to a prison with a mission from his master Darth Sidious.

I'm only a few chapters in but it's not half bad for a Star Wars book.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Just finished American Dirt.

I thought it was Ok, I can't say that it was gripping. Finished quite abruptly. It really felt like a first book from an author and I thought it suffered from that. Trying to paint the leader of a completely ruthless crime cartel as a romantic poetry lover and someone she had a "connection " with was a big stretch.

None of the characters were particularly warm. Even a long way through it it wasn't a book drawing you back to finish it.

Hoping Santa brings something nice on the reading front.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,421 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

farmerval wrote: »
    Just finished American Dirt.

I thought it was Ok, I can't say that it was gripping. Finished quite abruptly. It really felt like a first book from an author and I thought it suffered from that. Trying to paint the leader of a completely ruthless crime cartel as a romantic poetry lover and someone she had a "connection " with was a big stretch.

None of the characters were particularly warm. Even a long way through it it wasn't a book drawing you back to finish it.

Hoping Santa brings something nice on the reading front.

I remember it got a lot of stick for using racist stereotypes. Was that all a bit overblown in your opinion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Went on a Kindle bender recently after finding a new author - Greig Beck. Read four of his books in quick succession: The Siberian Incident, Beneath the Dark Ice, To The Center Of The Earth, Return To The Center Of The Earth. All of those books were fast paced and the closest I have ever come to the razor sharp sci-fi horror writing of Stephen King. I recommend starting with The Siberian Incident if you have Kindle Prime as it is: 0.00.

Currently started "The Nothing Man" by an Irish author, Catherine Ryan Howard. Never heard of it before but it came on my recommended feed and a quick flick through the international reviews suggested that this would be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Daniel Suarez. books set in near future. Influx was about how a us govt dept was suppressing advances in technology. He gives a list of further reading at the back. great stuff.
    Barbara Nadel: A time to Die, set in London at the time Trumps visit. Interesting cross cultural aspects, but a bit limp. Her novels set in Istanbul are much better.
    Read Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith. Cracking. She has a great way of moving things along. Long book but it pulls you along.
    Finally, working my way through a gift - Twilight Together by Ruth Medjber. A covid compilation by a photographer whose main work as a band photographer has dried up. It is a book of her photographs taken from outside looking in at people the other side of their front window. Beautiful ,intense and moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future by Shoshana Zuboff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Went on a Kindle bender recently after finding a new author - Greig Beck. Read four of his books in quick succession: The Siberian Incident, Beneath the Dark Ice, To The Center Of The Earth, Return To The Center Of The Earth. All of those books were fast paced and the closest I have ever come to the razor sharp sci-fi horror writing of Stephen King. I recommend starting with The Siberian Incident if you have Kindle Prime as it is: 0.00.
    Speaking of free sci-fi. Check out E.R. Mason, the Adrian Tarn series. A few of them are free- Fatal Boarding is the first one.

Finally got around to reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. I had seen the movies when they came out and had promised myself that I would one day read the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just read the first three books of the Murderbot Diaries by Martha Welles - short and funny, in a tea coming out of your nose kind of way at stuff that you cannot really explain! -saving the next two as I don't want to go through them too quickly
    Getting stuck into Dune by Frank Herbert again, a regular re-read, looking forward to the movie but kind of scared of what they will do to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

King Suckerman by George Pelecanos.

I'm a big fan of his writing but I think I'm beginning to grow increasingly wary of some of the tropes that recur in his books. Namely the way his protagonists virtually will any woman to sleep with them by looking in their general direction. And the turgid sex scenes that slow the momentum of any book like this. It's almost like the way a 13 year old boy would write themselves as a character in a James Bond inspired spy novel. Why aren't more authors in the crime genre more comfortable with writing protagonists who are more flawed and true to life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

gutenberg wrote: »
    Reading Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow, about the American justice system and the mass incarceration of African Americans. It's been described as the 'bible of Black Lives Matter' so I was curious to read it.

Have now finished this. It's an astonishing book, truly. I would recommend anyone read it. It's not perfect. Is it polemical, yes - but the topic is incredibly important and relevant for our times. So many of the facts, stats and stories from it are still lodged in my brain.

Next up is Maggie O'Farrell's Hamnet, part of the Christmas haul!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

gutenberg wrote: »

Next up is Maggie O'Farrell's Hamnet, part of the Christmas haul!

Enjoy I really loved that book so sad but beautiful written.

I have just finished 'Where the Crawdad sings. Dragged a little in parts but overall I loved it. It was breath taking how the author described the sheer loneliness that Kya felt throughout the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Currently started "The Nothing Man" by an Irish author, Catherine Ryan Howard. Never heard of it before but it came on my recommended feed and a quick flick through the international reviews suggested that this would be a cracker.[/QUOTE]

This was a really good book. Whole new angle on a murder thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Nine Lives of Pakistan by Declan Walsh

Read it because the author was a schoolmate and didn't have much prior interest in the subject but would heartily recommend to all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've two books on the go at the moment, The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel, which I'm enjoying very much but it's just too big to be very portable, so also reading Patrick Freyne's OK, Let's Do Your Stupid Idea in the bath/in bed. It's excellent. By turns funny, touching, bittersweet and sometimes downright sad. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've two books on the go at the moment, The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel, which I'm enjoying very much but it's just too big to be very portable, so also reading Patrick Freyne's OK, Let's Do Your Stupid Idea in the bath/in bed. It's excellent. By turns funny, touching, bittersweet and sometimes downright sad. Highly recommend it.

Read it earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. I think however that the second one - Bring Up the Bodies - is my favourite of the trilogy.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Dial Hard wrote: »

I do like the Kindle for those kind of unwieldy books. I remember carting The Stand all over the place when I was reading it. It was like being weighed down by a brick.

I recently started Masters of the Air, a history of the American Eighth Air Force during World War II. Apple TV are turning it into a tv series soon I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

The way of men - Jack Donovan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm reading Rachel Bloom's memoir, "I Want To Be Where The Normal People Are." It's fun and clever and quirky, much like her. You probably wouldn't enjoy it if you're not a fan of hers, but I guess you could say the same of most memoirs.

• Advertisement

Troy by Stephen Fry.

This is the third installment of his retelling of the Greek myths and although I was most looking forward to this one, I didn't particularly like it from some reason.

Advertisement