Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 strong convoy of high altitude aircraft just passed overhead

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Has it passed Ireland already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Won't see latest SL tonight unless you have a very good view of the horizon WSW - 16 degrees is as high as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Have been checking the findstarlink.com website the last couple nights but saw nothing.They have an apology up now and say they are working on it.
    Does anyone know when is the next good pass/es visible from Ireland, specifically Dublin.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement

What number starlink should we be looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Synode wrote: »
    What number starlink should we be looking for

Click on the dropdown box that says "Launch" and select the latest launch (most recent date).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tonights one was supposed to be extra bright according to the tracker:

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

but I saw even less than the other night even with perfect conditions, not worth bothering with anymore I dont think, Ill stick with the ISS flyovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GarIT wrote: »
    They are satellites being sent up to provide high speed broadband globally. These are the things making the national broadband plan irrelevant before they start work on it.

Wrong.

LEO sats still have the huge limitations of available spectrum. RF doesnt scale, optics scale infinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Most of the trackers, including heavens-above, seem to be unreliable for the earlier launches. It seems to me that they are not allowing for the migration of the satellites along their track as they are still predicting trains which just don't happen. Starlink 6 is up on heavens-above now but it looks like there are no appearances for Dublin until early morning May 26th, and the first evening/night appearances are June 6th. Given that's six weeks away, will the sats still be bunched at that stage?

• Advertisement

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Click on the dropdown box that says "Launch" and select the latest launch (most recent date).

There's no drop down box launch on android app

I've found the app fairly rubbish. Check the website where its easier to see trains bunched together by time. But may be unreliable for launches other than Starlink 6 which has no visible appearances for the next few weeks. The previous launches seem to have spread out. That said, I'm seeing comments on youtube from people in the UK who have seen trains from the other launches in the last few days, so I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

You quoted www.heavens-above.com in your post, the app different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about that asteroid will it be visible from irish skies?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I saw 36 of them last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^ were they bright?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

fryup wrote: »
    ^^ were they bright?

They were passing Leo, and varying in brightness, roughly as bright as the stars they passed.

Not bright like Venus or the ISS.

Sounds similar to the stragglers I saw last week -- passed through Leo near Regulus and Algieba (α and γ Leonis) and were about as bright as the latter, i.e. magnitude 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Some improvement regarding the light pollution.
    https://newatlas.com/space/spacex-sun-visor-darken-starlink-satellites/

I'm not a Musk fanboy, but SpaceX do seem to be listening to the concerns of the astro physicists.
    Their turnaround time from concept to deployment is very impressive.

Advertisement