Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 strong convoy of high altitude aircraft just passed overhead

Options
  • 25-03-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there witnessed this over Wicklow about 10 minutes ago. It looked like a long line of satellites passing straight over head but there was no noise at all, completely silent before during and after.

According to my brother, who just saw it, and found the whole thing quite remarkable, it was heading west to east. He also said some of the satellites were in triangular formations and that several peeled off from the main convoy to go due south.

What on earth do you make of that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Spacex Starlink train.. check Heavens Above.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Yup Starlink, just watched it myself, International space station will pass at 21:14 if ye want to go outside again

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭J_V_C

Jeez, I'd like to see that, thanks guys :}

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

That’s pretty cool. Would they pass over here regularly? Never seen or heard of that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tenzor07 wrote: »

That’s remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Watching that, all I’m hearing in my head is “holidays are coming, holidays are coming”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

TeaPot918 wrote: »
    Yup Starlink, just watched it myself, International space station will pass at 21:14 if ye want to go outside again

Willl that train be visible with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Would it be roughly the same time visible down in tipp then?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Would it be roughly the same time visible down in tipp then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Watching that, all I’m hearing in my head is “holidays are coming, holidays are coming”

That would be amazing to show the kids on Christmas Eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I googled it but still can’t really understand its purpose. Can anybody explain to somebody who knows nothing about aviation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I googled it but still can’t really understand its purpose. Can anybody explain to somebody who knows nothing about aviation?

They are satellites being sent up to provide high speed broadband globally. These are the things making the national broadband plan irrelevant before they start work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

It is a satellite network Elon Musk is putting into orbit to provide global high speed broadband. Right now they have just over 200 satellites in orbit. They plan to put something like 27,000 in orbit in the next few years. What you saw tonight was just one train of around 60 satellites. By 2027 the night sky as we know it will be full of them. It will look like a net of moving stars covering the sky. I don't think people realise just how big a change this is going to be but Space-x can do it because no government really has control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Not gonna lie, thought OP was trolling, also not gonna lie, if I saw that myself without knowing what it was, I'd probably **** myself

Don’t mention Starlink if you are in the company of astronomers. You could get lynched......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is there specific dates / times this can be seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

TeaPot918 wrote: »

Pure luck I read your post at 21:12. Just got a great look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

touts wrote: »
    It is a satellite network Elon Musk is putting into orbit to provide global high speed broadband. Right now they have just over 200 satellites in orbit. They plan to put something like 27,000 in orbit in the next few years. What you saw tonight was just one train of around 60 satellites. By 2027 the night sky as we know it will be full of them. It will look like a net of moving stars covering the sky. I don't think people realise just how big a change this is going to be but Space-x can do it because no government really has control over it.

Not April 1st yet, is it? Jaysus is all I can say, if that youtube video is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Nunu wrote: »
    Pure luck I read your post at 21:12. Just got a great look at it.

Think I saw it. Looks like a really bright star but has flashing lights to the side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭J_V_C

The brother's a bit skeptical about the Space X explanation.
    It doesn't explain the configuration of what he believes was a convoy of some sort, nor the deviations in direction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

J_V_C wrote: »
    The brother's a bit skeptical about the Space X explanation.
    It doesn't explain the configuration of what he believes was a convoy of some sort, nor the deviations in direction.

He can be sceptical all he wants; it wasn't 30 aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

touts wrote: »

Quite amazing,
    Like Wow!

At the 1st post I wasn't sure if it was for real or not. Never seen anything like this before in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This white elephant of Musk's is going to ruin the night sky and astronomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

www.findstarlink.com has the times visible in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

This white elephant of Musk's is going to ruin the night sky and astronomy.

Throughly depressing thought. I really struggle to find any positives in him. Environmental vandalism is the only way to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Not scheduled for another 5 days over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Big bright shiny dots Elon Musk sent up into space to inflate his ego and balls up visual astronomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

It’s space, not aviation. A trail of 60 plus small satellites which solar panels are reflecting the light you are seeing. They are bunched up together but will separate over time. They are supposed to be to able to supply internet access when fully setu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not scheduled for another 5 days over Ireland.

Around what time?

Advertisement