Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are certain shops saying they're going to stay open?

Options
  • 24-03-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Despite the government's announcement?

Case in point: Harvey Norman

https://www.harveynorman.ie/covid-19...formation.html

Hardly essential to keep their shops open when they could still run online sales and delivery while reducing risk to the public and their staff.

Becomes clear that it's simply profiteering when you see the kind of thing their founder is coming out with in Australia.

https://www.adnews.com.au/news/australi ... e-pandemic

What a despicable man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Not defending this particular shop but fridges, ovens, washing machines etc will still break down and need to be replaced. It's a lot of money to be spending online and the returns policy might not that simple or cheap if its delivered and needs to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

But Curry's, who deal with similar goods, closed today.
    There's nothing that couldn't be dealt with online/over the phone other than browsing/going out to buy items which people shouldn't be doing now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Whats the problem here?

Essential items break down that often needed to be replaced. These stores are huge, quite easy to keep 2m away from each other, get what you need and get out.

Whats the problem here?

Essential items break down that often needed to be replaced. These stores are huge, quite easy to keep 2m away from each other, get what you need and get out.
    Even easier to get them online and be delivered no? And staff don't get to "get in andget out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Whats the problem here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The amount of people I know who hasn’t any type of bank card to purchase something either online or over the phone is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

mankteln wrote: »
    Despite the government's announcement?

Case in point: Harvey Norman

https://www.harveynorman.ie/covid-19...formation.html

Hardly essential to keep their shops open when they could still run online sales and delivery while reducing risk to the public and their staff.

Becomes clear that it's simply profiteering when you see the kind of thing their founder is coming out with in Australia.

https://www.adnews.com.au/news/australi ... e-pandemic

What a despicable man

Electrical outlets are permitted to be open as am essential service.

The amount of people I know who hasn’t any type of bank card to purchase something either online or over the phone is very high.

Really? No bank account? Is that you Bertie lol

If true what age are these people? Would they be elderly who are exactly the cohort we are supposed to be keeping away from shops etc over this period. I'd hope someone in their support network could get whatever they needed online instead.

Rodin wrote: »
    Electrical outlets are permitted to be open as am essential service.

Yeah we've diverted from UK/NI policy on that (where Harvey Norman is closed now btw) despite all the talk about of a unified response, I would've hoped that the retailers would interpret the advice ethically behave responsibly and move to online only, in the UK sports direct said they would stay open (allowed as a bike shop and apparently said sporting goods are essential) but luckily are now moving to online only after a backlash. This gives you an idea of the ethical standards of the type of company that are seeking to profit from this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

recyclebin wrote: »
    Not defending this particular shop but fridges, ovens, washing machines etc will still break down and need to be replaced. It's a lot of money to be spending online and the returns policy might not that simple or cheap if its delivered and needs to go back.

And also there are so many people working from home, some for the first time, looking for the necessary equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

recyclebin wrote: »
    Well buying online from stores in Ireland. Gets you the same rights as if you went in to the store an bought it.

I suggest the OP visits some of these stores. It’s 1:1 ratio of staff that customers are allowed in. You can not browse. You need to know what you want. Stopped at door and asked.

Curry’s closed. But are entitled to be open If they choose and follow the government guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

While I'm all for calling out profiteering I don't think it applies in this case.

They're following government guidelines.

If you read this very website there are people needing printers , chairs , desks computers and all sorts for home working.

Not everyone has online purchasing ability and not everyone can wait a week for delivering as is the new norm Amazon is now in the 7 days plus range.

Not every store has online purchase stores either.

HN is big enough to allow for an effective smart distance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

The whole thing is geared towards keeping the country working. Its a good call in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

One of the off license chains had said they are staying open as they are deemed an essential service. Booze can be bought in supermarkets. I've no issue with it but it's a bit murkey deciding what's essential or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

You actually getting more rights buying online than you do buying in store- always clock and collect where possible for this very reason.

Power City are also open as an 'essential service' although their website does say opening is more to go in quickly, buy, then leave. They have requested no browsing in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I like the idea of having someone at the front door ask what you want to make sure people don't just go in for a browse to kill time. I work in what I consider a very non essential shop which is hopefully closed today, the amount of people just going in to look around and have a chat is crazy. I've seen the same woman in there 5 times in the last week, just looking to get out of the house as she puts it!!

Well buying online from stores in Ireland. Gets you the same rights as if you went in to the store an bought it.

I suggest the OP visits some of these stores. It’s 1:1 ratio of staff that customers are allowed in. You can not browse. You need to know what you want. Stopped at door and asked.

Curry’s closed. But are entitled to be open If they choose and follow the government guidelines.

Last week in the store I know about it was 50 customers they were limiting it to. Hardly one to one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My friend works in an off licence but he's boss isn't closing as he considers himself a essential service.

Last week was Christmas week levels of revenue apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Working from home is keeping the phone and electrical shops open, one of mine now has phone calls diverted to her mobile phone took a few day to work out securely, she needed a new battery for the phone there are lots of example like that.

Mental health, gardening, and DIY is keeping some people going.

What would happen if you were working form home and your glasses broke and your spare pair are in the office?

The dentist not being open is going to run into issues for people eventually.

These things are not as simple as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Really don't understand how Holland and Barrett and Boots (the ones without pharmacies) are 'essential'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Really don't understand how Holland and Barrett and Boots (the ones without pharmacies) are 'essential'

Keeps the hypochondriacs happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Nappies, baby formula, baby wipes, disinfectants, deodarants, sanitary products, cosmetics, hairdye, etc - Boots IS a pharmacists - more to it than disprins and dispensing. Try making love to your wife with no soap, deodrant or razorbaldes in the house when she has skin like an elephants ares, wrinkles you could sew potatoes in, a tidemark for her hair down to her ears, more bodyhair than a silverback and no make up on! Its marriage councillers you’ll be needing then!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Best one I saw was Sports Direct in the UK attempting to stay open because they believed sales of sweat pants are an essential service. It was just Mike Ashley chancing his arm as usual and the UK govt. forced them to close.

As another poster said dentists being closed is going to be a real problem, there'll be people showing up at A&E in severe pain from toothaches that need an extraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Live_In_UK

My friend works in an off licence but he's boss isn't closing as he considers himself a essential service.

Best not to have the hospitals have to deal with a load of lads undergoing alcohol withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Really? No bank account? Is that you Bertie lol

If true what age are these people? Would they be elderly who are exactly the cohort we are supposed to be keeping away from shops etc over this period. I'd hope someone in their support network could get whatever they needed online instead.

I was expecting this response.
    People would be about 50 plus.
    They'd have a bank account and some of them may have a standard ATM card but that's about it.
    Of course you would like people to help them out but that doesn't happen all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Last week in the store I know about it was 50 customers they were limiting it to. Hardly one to one
    Well then they should close if they can’t keep to the guidelines laid down by the government.

DID Electrical are doing one to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭ax530

But Curry's, who deal with similar goods, closed today.
    There's nothing that couldn't be dealt with online/over the phone other than browsing/going out to buy items which people shouldn't be doing now anyway.
    was wondering about Currys as a printer may be useful when working from home and having stuff for kids to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Even easier to get them online and be delivered no? And staff don't get to "get in andget out"

But it isn’t. What good is it getting your fridge freezer or cooker in 7-10 working days when you need it immediately. Stakelums electrical in Thurles is encouraging people to call them and have the items ready to collect I believe. There’s no reason to shut this store when people are in need of these items Is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was expecting this response.
    People would be about 50 plus.
    They'd have a bank account and some of them may have a standard ATM card but that's about it.
    Of course you would like people to help them out but that doesn't happen all the time.

There are more than you would expect with no bank account. All ages. Some have credit union accounts, some don't.

• Advertisement

Well in an ideal world it'd be good if they were the only people who came to the shop now that it's still open but realistically that's not going to happen.
    It's just strange that in most other jurisdictions essential businesses are pharmacies and supermarkets, realistically everything else can be managed without for a short while.
    Here there's been mixed messages depending on the sector and some like Curry's, Argos etc have done the right thing for their staff and the population in general and have interpreted the government advice as meaning they should close, others such as Harvey Norman have decided to discount all that and stay open until forced to close.
    Do you think Harvey Norman are staying open because they're worried about the people without bank accounts?

Advertisement