Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭martco

re. COVID-19 Emergency Payments form - My Welfare website - Rejecting/discriminating my N26 IBAN ?

Hi, I have to apply for the Emergency payment, I have an N26 account established here in Ireland 2 years ago, dumped traditional banks (BOI) around same time

you get to the part of the form that asks you to select a Y/N button dialog "is your bank account Irish?"

- IF I enter YES when I enter the IBAN it's rejected "Please enter a valid IBAN"
    - IF I enter NO it proceeds but warns "please note that payments to foreign bank accounts will be made only on a 4 weekly basis..."

on citizensinformation howto apply under the section "Applying Online" it states clearly "your bank details (only Irish banks, Revolut and N26 accounts are supported)

I don't know many people who have anything except an N26 or Revolut account

Has anyone heard of this or know what's going on there?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

killiank wrote: »
    Hi - Am I correct to assume that if you are earning say €25k & you weekly net is coming out at €420. with Government scheme you are getting 70% of this refunded to you. So you would get €294 from revenue & hopefully employer can top up the balance. If the employer doesnt top up then you would be getting less than if you were to go to Social Welfare directly €350 (& have employment ceased) Am I understanding that correctly?
    No. You are not getting your wages ‘refunded

If your employer continues to pay you (but you are not working), they can apply to have some of it refunded to them (up to 410 for now and 70% up to 410 from April). You won’t be receiving anything from revenue

If they don’t employ you, you can apply for the emergency payment from social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

Hi guys,

I lost my job March 17

I applied March 18 for COVID 19 payment

Didn’t receive anything this week

Will I receive double next week as I’m not earning anything this week?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

Hi guys,

I lost my job March 17

I applied March 18 for COVID 19 payment

Didn’t receive anything this week

Will I receive double next week as I’m not earning anything this week?

Thanks

Yes you will be paid back dated to when you lost your job

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

Does anyone know what day Illness Benefit is paid? It says awarded from 18 March. But I haven't a clue when it will be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Pinkpotato wrote: »
    Does anyone know what day Illness Benefit is paid? It says awarded from 18 March. But I haven't a clue when it will be paid.
    One of my colleagues received hers on a Monday. As far as I can remember all IB payments are issued on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

As an employer if I have to cease trading temporarily I will pay my employee the 350 unemployment payment and then seek reimbursement from welfare BUT am I also allowed to top-up my employee's 350 and pay the tax on it? So lets say can I pay him 450 euro during this time and just pay the tax on the 100 top-up? Is this allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

I'm a VTOS student and I work aswell part time. I get my vtos weekly allowance but I also work as you are allowed to do so as long as it doesn't interfere with my studies and I wouldn't be able to afford on just my vtos allowance , well I was working up until two weeks ago, but my workplace has closed because of the Coronavirus. I haven't applied for the benefit as I assume since I get my vtos payment I wouldn't be eligible for benefit even though I am down money since I was working part time up till two weeks ago.

Anyone else in the same boat? just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Has anyone received a payment yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    The employer is supposed to make good effort to pay employees the 30%, to bring them to the total 100%.

If employers are found to be abusing the scheme there will be strict penalties.

Well good luck for people with that. Can't imagine many employers who've had to close having the funds for that.

• Advertisement

Yes, the gvt.. is encouraging people to top Up as near to the 100% as possible. But you can only reclaim a maximum of 70% of the employees (pre covid 19) take home pay.

It stated that those on a BTEA payment would be automatically put on the emergency rate.

titan18 wrote: »
    Well good luck for people with that. Can't imagine many employers who've had to close having the funds for that.
    Many employers (not all) can afford it, they're just choosing not to. Look at the amount of creches that were shut looking for full payment for fees, despite not paying their staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Limpy wrote: »
    Hat off to all the folks working part time in the affected industries. Now you get to stay home and earn more money. How long will this gravy train last.

While this is an obvious flaw I would expect them to clamp down on this at some point. Right now they need to get money into peoples hands and ask questions later.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Galway20188

Has anyone received confirmation or acknowledgment of their application for the emergency payment?

Haven’t received an email or anything and applied on 18th may

Also haven’t received pay

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TtomRedCM

I applied on the 17th March, haven't received any notification at all or payment. My last date of work was 7th march as all jobs were cancelled for the following week (conferences). On the government website it says all those who have lost up to and following the 13th March. Does this mean I'm not included in the criteria? Thanks in advance for any replies. Currently flustered wondering if I'll get any payment at all

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Dont know if this has been asked already but my wife had to leave her job as the creches closed and we had no alternate care for my son. Would she be entitled to the payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

TtomRedCM wrote: »
    I applied on the 17th March, haven't received any notification at all or payment. My last date of work was 7th march as all jobs were cancelled for the following week (conferences). On the government website it says all those who have lost up to and following the 13th March. Does this mean I'm not included in the criteria? Thanks in advance for any replies. Currently flustered wondering if I'll get any payment at all

I applied on 18th March and haven't had any confirmation or payment either. I did hear the first payments are due to be paid on 27th March.

Consensus seems to be to sit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,651 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

paruss100 wrote: »
    Dont know if this has been asked already but my wife had to leave her job as the creches closed and we had no alternate care for my son. Would she be entitled to the payment?

IMO yes.

She had to leave her employment because of the emergency.

So she is very much entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

paruss100 wrote: »

100%. If you can do the online application not postal as I've been told they've made a complete balls of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

They seem to be working on claims around the 18 th now hubby had a call from them today querying something on his form . He’s self employed hopefully we get something soon :( so stressful

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Great cheers for the replies, shes applied already but just wanted to be sure they wouldnt chase us in the future or reject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Has anyone received confirmation or acknowledgment of their application for the emergency payment?
    ]Haven’t received an email or anything and applied on 18th may
    Also haven’t received pay

Open to correction on this but my understanding of it is that no one is given any form of confirmation by them whether their application is successful or not. On the postal form it just says to keep an eye on your bank account every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Many employers (not all) can afford it, they're just choosing not to. Look at the amount of creches that were shut looking for full payment for fees, despite not paying their staff.

Oh I know, but that's a minority of the businesses that have closed I'd imagine. Can't imagine a lot of restaurants, pubs etc are able as they've no income coming in unless moved to takeaway, and even airlines will have such a high amount of employees that they can't really afford to either.

70% would hopefully be enough for most as less expenses with very little leisure options and no commuting costs. I can work from home thankfully so as long as company doesn't close or reduce hours (unlikely in short term anyway despite some industry disruption), I'll be ok. People probably most in danger are those with young kids as imagine it might be costly to keep them entertained that even the reduction in other expenses will still hurt.

Open to correction on this but my understanding of it is that no one is given any form of confirmation by them whether their application is successful or not. On the postal form it just says to keep an eye on your bank account every so often.

You’re correct. I know someone who has been redeployed into working on the forms. To speed up data entry only PPSN, DOB, and bank details are entered. Those who can approve see information from the system (name, eligibility etc) but there will be no emails or phone calls/texts. They’ve said they’re working on over 50 times the usual numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lea2000

My hours in work were cut from 3 days to one day due to reduced business 2 weeks ago. I sent in the form on 18/03 for week beginning 16/03 but didn't get anything this week. Does anyone know if 1. I am entitled to the payment and 2. They are delayed because of how busy they are it have I been missed perhaps? Will I get an extra week next week?
    Thanks in advance for your response. ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Dodge wrote: »
    I *think* you’re over thinking it. I *think* the wording was changed because some were applying for it while still working (Self employed) and saying earnings were down

If your business has stopped (ie you can no longer work as a self employed person) then you can apply

As you’ve said the form is quite simple and they do not have time to check whether you legally have closed your business down completely

Now I can’t provide anything in writing to assuage your fears/suspicions but I hope the words help...

'Self Employed' covers many different situations. At face value, the current wording suits the so called 'Bogus Self Employed' i.e. those who are technically self employed but who have only one or two related customers. i.e. their companies laid them off the permanent payroll for cost reduction reasons and now sub contract the same work to them. It's relatively straigtforward for them to 'cease trading'.

At the other end you have the 'Real Self Employed' who run small businesses and have built up multiple customer relationships and various streams of income. In these instances, the majority of one's income may be gone but there are a few customers to service. 'Sorry Bud, I can't fix your xyz because I lost all my main contracts and the Dept insists I cease trading and you're just a nuisance'.

It's hard to believe that Gov policy would be to oblige the latter to close down completely to allow a claim but that seems to be the case. Much better to allow whatever limited trading can be done and the business ticking over, whilst assisting to make up something towards the main loss of income.

I often think the PS who make up these rules are quite out of touch with the reality of daily life & commerce for self employment and sole traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoshuaB

My income earnings consisted of 2 days working part-time in a pub with 3 days partial social welfare relief via jobseekers benefit casual work scheme of approximately €85. I have been temporarily laid off due to the closure of the pub which has resulted in the loss of 16-20 hours per week i.e. between €180-220 per week.

I have been told by the Department of Social Protection that I am not entitled to the Covid-19 payment as I have an existing Jobseekers Benefit claim, despite sustaining income loss of approximately €200 per week and I am also not entitled to anything more than the €131 social welfare payment which is a far cry from the €350 payment under the Covid-19 Emergency Payment Scheme.

Has anyone else been faced with this situation, or have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

The UK has just announced a package for the self employed of 80% of average monthly profit up to a maximum of £2,500. This will allow many self employed (including those providing essential services) to continue working unlike our "scheme" where you have to shut your business down to claim any assistance. I believe they will look for evidence of audited accounts etc to make sure claims are genuine. Hopefully, we get something similar here.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    '
    It's hard to believe that Gov policy would be to oblige the latter to close down completely to allow a claim but that seems to be the case. Much better to allow whatever limited trading can be done and the business ticking over, whilst assisting to make up something towards the main loss of income.

I often think the PS who make up these rules are quite out of touch with the reality of daily life & commerce for self employment and sole traders.

Other schemes apply. This is specifically for people who almost immediately have no income.

it has to be that for speed reasons. You can apply for other schemes but they’re obviously harder to quantify. This scheme has NO time

I’m not suggesting it’s perfect. I’m suggesting it’s a fairly decent scheme under a massive amount of pressure

Advertisement