Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

From Twitter last week:

"The next time the dickhead form Lemon and Duke and other publicans start pissing and moaning about Diego upping the price of a keg remember: a keg of a local lager is +/- €154.5+ VAT and a keg of Harp of Carlsberg is €179.4+ VAT, but the won't stock the former. Self sabotage"

https://x.com/Seanaldinho/status/1791220545930838251

• Registered Users Posts: 25,370 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Terms like local lager always reminds me of this

Antelope is owned by Big Smoke who's next beer was called "Popular Global Beer" in his honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats some review by someone who should get out and experience more of life than mundane, bland etc beers served by people with no passion for what they do.

I loved it so much I immediately ordered a few kegs of Popular Global Beer for the pub.

You deal with an awful lot of aggressive cockney clowns over there trying to return keg beer because it is off (cloudy)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tinter Box

So are the Beer Temple and Brew Dock still going under separate ownership?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I was in Brew Dock on Sunday before the Bruce Springsteen concert and all seemed normal. All the beer the same, staff wearing GBB gear. Maybe the changes haven't come into force there yet or new owners waiting to use up stock etc

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

When in Brew Dock on Sunday, a group of about 12 English folk came in, real mix of ages, seemed like extended family. There were probably 6 pints of lager ordered. Options were the Galway Bay Helles, Bru Lager, Veltins or Madri…..of course it was 6 pints of Madri, without hesitation. I just found it boggling that a brand that was only invented 2 years ago as a fake Spanish beer could be that drawing of customer loyalty. A lot of people just do not care what they are drinking, beyond it being recognisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,545 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Marketing BS works I'm afraid.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Unless your beer is called Island's Edge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Paid €7.80 for a pint of Whiplash Blue Ghosts and €7.50 for pint of Asahi in O’Neills Suffolk Street at the weekend.

For added lols, the BG was served in an Islands Edge glass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,290 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks for this information.

I had presumed that craft kegs were dearer than macro kegs, simply due to scale.

For a long time they were across the board but there has been a crazy amount of increases to the macros since 2020.

The price of drinks, especially in the on-trade, has very little to do with how much they cost to make and distribute, and everything to do with how much people will pay for them. Irish pubs could compete with each other on price, like every other retail sector does, but they've decided they'll make more money if they don't.

Not true in my experience.

Everything was priced off a GP calculator in any of the better run places I worked.

Were they in the UK, though? Ireland is different.

More so but not totally in the UK.

I was saying a few pages back that there are plenty in the industry here who just go with what's happening around them or charge whatever they are told is the right price.

Generally though those pubs don't have craft beer and the pubs that do are the better run ones which from what I can see are not overcharging for local craft. Macro often passed craft in the price rises in those pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,290 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks.

How many publicans seek out Beamish in response to Guinness price rises? Is that common?

Or is the attitude - ah sure the punters will continue to buy Guinness?

Anywhere I worked in Ireland where that would be relevant had both. The only thing I remember on the subject was lots of Guinness drinkers claiming they would make the switch on every price rise but never did.

I do remember there was a panic to get in Tuborg or an equivalent during the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭squonk

Let’s face it, Diageo could charge €100/pint for Guinness, burn down your house, violate your women folk and murder the texture family as d people would complain fur a week then go back to drinking it. People just seem to hold onto they’d brand. In fairness I’m partial to Guinness and Smithwicks but not when there’s slang be I could try in a pub. IMHO craft brewers aren’t helping themselves by mainly concentrating on IPAs and those hop heard beers that won’t appeal to a mass market. Some do great alternatives. Black Donkey’s Western Warrior or Kinnegar’s Donegal Lager sipe the floor with Heineken IMHO.

What brand of beer did you have 10 of before you wrote that post 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Acosta

I find it hilarious how some people still get wound up by others drinking nice beer. And are basically afraid to try anything that's not heavily advertised.

Craft brewers make what sells, and pubs sell what sells. Unadventurous beer drinkers are the true enemy of the beer geek. Once we eliminate them it'll be wall-to-wall saison and kottbusser.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,545 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

wiping the floor with Heineken is either setting a low bar, or an unusual cleaning method 😋

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

These are now in stock in addition to x3 DOT Aldi exclusive beers (a rebrew, a new-to-me brew and a V2 of a previous beer).

I overlooked the Fiere Mild beer. I'm very curious as to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They only had the McCrackens and the Rhubarb and Honey Cider in my local one yesterday evening from what I could see. Only Dot was the Side Step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Unrelated. A curious commentor on the Galway subreddit is trying to assert Galway Hooker is a "macro" brewery, on the basis that it is now owned by a larger group and has beers in most of the venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We've a legal definition for microbrewery for tax purposes in Ireland, and I'd be quite sure they're under the limit still

Outside of the legal definition I would say there are about 3 distinct categories of craft beer. Galway Bay being in the higher end where the breweries are aiming at supermarkets, national distribution and eventual investment and buyouts.

Other end of the scale you have places like Crew who don't reach far beyond the tap room and then you have a group somewhere in between the two.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I personally reserve Macro for the MNC's. Galway Hooker were brought out by a larger, but still Galway based, company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I haven't had a Galway Hooker in years now. Really must give them another go. Thinking of ordering some Black Donkey beers as well 'cause I can't find them in any shops in Limerick recently.

Advertisement